need advice

smacky

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2001
I'm building a new computer and I think I'm going to go with an AMD xp 1800 processor. What motherboard would you guys reccomend? Also, is there anything in particular I need to be concerned with when getting ram for the board?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I just got the Soyo Dragon Plus, and as another poster said "IT ROCKS!" My preference, anyway.

AFA RAM, the only thing I always tell people is that if you buy from Crucial you can't go wrong. Again, my preference. Good luck!

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey S,
What will you be using this computer for? I have built 2 PC's recently, one with a EPoX 8KHA+ mobo and OCZ PC2400 DDR and the other with a Shuttle AK31 ver.3.1 mobo and Crucial PC2100 DDR. The Shuttle mobo is a great mobo for the price($80 US)! The EPoX mobo offers more OC'ing options. Both are good choices, I have heard the Soyo mobo is also a good choice. As far as DDR goes, my opinion is go OCZ PC2400 cas 2(it uses Micron mem mods on a 6 layer board). The most important thing that you should not overlook is a Robust Power Supply! I would get a 400+ watt P/S if I were you. Oh yeah, one more thing: figuare out how much DDR you really need and get it all at the same time from the same company and brand- some mobos can't handle mix and matching DDR. Good Luck!
Peace Out............tile

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey S,
Sorry one more thing, do some research and get a good HSF(Heat Sink Fan) for your CPU. It is not easy pickin's for your high speed chip! I think all the best HSF's use a 7000 rpm Fan, and they are all so F'ing loud! If noise bothers you, it is going to take a little help from online reviews about performance vs. noise. All depends on what you want to do with your PC...........will you ever OC????? I was using a Vantec CCK-6035D(very loud and so-so performance), I just got in a OCZ Goliath..... impressive looking and very heavy.....I hope it performs better than the Vantec unit. Again, Good Luck with your choices!

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
1) little budget

Asus A7V133 Raid0+IBM 60GXP+256Mo PC133

2) 100$ & more budget

mb with chip via kt266A & DDR slot

256Mo DDR PC2100

2 IBM 60GXP in raid0

3) i think it's time now to buy memory because constructors have too many stock so prices go down & are very cheaper

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.