Need advise in Graphics Card upgrade

ricardo

I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300 video
card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you replace
the card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you have to
buy one from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading a post a
long time ago about a person who had issues with installing a non-Dell
card. Any advice appreciated.
TIA

Any PCIe card you want. I only go back about 5-6 years but every Dell I've
owned could be upgraded with off-the-shelf parts.

Tom
"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300 video
>card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you replace the
>card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you have to buy one
>from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading a post a long time
>ago about a person who had issues with installing a non-Dell card. Any
>advice appreciated.
> TIA

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300 video
>card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you replace the
>card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you have to buy one
>from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading a post a long time
>ago about a person who had issues with installing a non-Dell card. Any
>advice appreciated.
> TIA

What Tom said. Have some links and enjoy browsing:

www.newegg.com

www.zipzoomfly.com

Stew

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message news:I5iAe.13$UE3.427@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300 video
> card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you replace
> the card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you have to
> buy one from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading a post a
> long time ago about a person who had issues with installing a non-Dell
> card. Any advice appreciated.
> TIA

By any chance did that have to do with the additional card cage fan
and related alert messages?

william

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300 video
>card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you replace the
>card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you have to buy one
>from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading a post a long time
>ago about a person who had issues with installing a non-Dell card. Any
>advice appreciated.
> TIA

After some research plus my budget, I replaced my 300 card with an ATI X700
pro PCI Express bought direct from ATI. At the time they had a trade up
program, so I took the one out my Dell sent it in for a $50 credit and got
the X700. Net cost was $140 or so at the time. X700 is great for my needs. I
use MS flight sim only which is quite graphics intensive and the improvement
has been amazing.

The X700 fit like a glove, no need to change power supply or add fan etc.
Check the ATI web site if any trade up programs are available.

Bill

User N wrote:

> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a Dimension 8400 and I am wanting to replace the Radeon 300
>> video card with something that can handle games better. (BF2) Can you
>> replace the card with one that you buy at the local PC shop or do you
>> have to buy one from Dell. The reason I ask is that I remember reading
>> a post a long time ago about a person who had issues with installing a
>> non-Dell card. Any advice appreciated.
>> TIA
>

> By any chance did that have to do with the additional card cage fan
> and related alert messages?
Yes that is what my concern is...