[SOLVED] Need advise on gpu upgrade

Oct 8, 2019
hello i want to upgrade my old graphic card and have some issues finding something right here are my specs

CPU: AMD Fx 8350 4.00 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Motherboard:Asustek Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3
PSU:SB9-450W 200-240V
GPU:Sapphire HD7700 (1GB,GDDR5)

my price range is about 200-250 euro for the gpu any tips for other adjustments are welcome aswell thanks in advance

Solution
Without a PSU upgrade, I would say the GTX 1650 also. That PSU is one of be quiet's lower end models, and not something I would consider top quality. With a PSU upgrade, you could do something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (€171.89 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€74.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €246.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-09 16:42 CEST+0200

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
With the 450WPSU (assuming it is a good unit with a good +12V rail), you will be limited to the GTX 1660 or 1060 as the best card you can safely use. But either of them will probably be a top end card for the aging FX 8core.
My FX 8350 @ 4.6GHz is struggling to keep up with my RX 590. (which would be too much for your PSU)

But first, please list the make and model of your PSU.

Oct 8, 2019
With the 450WPSU (assuming it is a good unit with a good +12V rail), you will be limited to the GTX 1660 or 1060 as the best card you can safely use. But either of them will probably be a top end card for the aging FX 8core.
My FX 8350 @ 4.6GHz is struggling to keep up with my RX 590. (which would be too much for your PSU)

But first, please list the make and model of your PSU.
here it is should be all the information on here
20191009_024522.jpg

Last edited:
FX-8350 does not have fast cores. You might be more limited by your cpu than you think.

Here is my stock approach to the cpu vs. gpu upgrade question:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

For a graphics card upgrade, a GTX1650 would be a good one.

logainofhades

Titan
Without a PSU upgrade, I would say the GTX 1650 also. That PSU is one of be quiet's lower end models, and not something I would consider top quality. With a PSU upgrade, you could do something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card (€171.89 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€74.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €246.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-09 16:42 CEST+0200

Solution
Oct 8, 2019
FX-8350 does not have fast cores. You might be more limited by your cpu than you think.

Here is my stock approach to the cpu vs. gpu upgrade question:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

For a graphics card upgrade, a GTX1650 would be a good one.
any recomendations for an cpu upgrade? i will be able to spend a little more then expected and after doing ure test i realized the cpu is not fitting my requirements do you know any good cpu that would work fine with my board without spending too much? talking about like 100 - 150 euro oh and i upgraded to this psu SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W my price range is just a dream scenario im willing to go out of my comfort zone if needed

Last edited: