Need Advise on Purchase from Techs and Audio Techs

G

Recently I put together a system specifically for Video and sound work. THe sound work will be mostly sound design, recording music and mixing it. I had opted for the Sound Blaster Audigy eX, reading how it was supposed to be a good card. THEN, I come to Tom's and see from a lot of you that I may have been mistaken in my choice. I am hoping you can give me some advise. First, here is a breakdown of my purchase:

Asus P4T Mainboard
P4 1.7 Gig Processor
1 Gig Rambus ram
2 80 gig Western Digital ATA 100 Hard drives
52 Speed CD Rom
Plextor 16x10x40 CD Writer
Elsa Synergy III Video card (Dual monitors using NVDIA Twinview chipset)
Pinnacle DV200 Capture card w/Adobe Premiere
Windows 2000
Sound Blaster Audigy eX

I have audio programs including Sound Forge 4.5 which I wil be using for audio.

Do any of you have any sugeestions on whether this system will be lacking or will conflict with this new sound card? The rest of the system works great. I dont know about the 686b southbridge and other terms to which you refer.

Can I expect this thing to be usefull? Will 2K with this card support sp-dif in and out?

Thanks for takeing the time to read this, and I hope I get some help from those of you who are more knowledgeable than I.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
You won't have any major problems because you're using a P4 motherboard. However your setup is somewhat unusual. 1GB RDRAM + 1.7 P4? Even for video 1GB RDRAM might be a little overkill on a 1.7GHz P4. A 2GHz P4 + 512MB RDRAM will probably perform better.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Agreed, I'd try and get a bit faster processor. Also, make sure you get Socket 478. You'll be kicking yourself otherwise.

The Audigy eX would be a decent choice, but you might also look at the Game Theatre XP (simply because it has more connectors).

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>