[SOLVED] Need advise on what ssd and if it compatible?

Oct 6, 2020
Hello all, I am upgrading my hard drive with a new M.2 drive. I have 2 I have been looking at . I also would like to know if these will work with my system . I looked at the OVL for the motherboard and both were compatible. From reading and watching youtube I'm a bit confused as of what to get. This will be my first M.2 drive. From what sis read you must have a special motherboard for the 980 gen 4 drive

The 2 drives are,
Samsung 970 pro 1TB
Samsung 980 pro 1 TB

Also will I need a heatsink and if so witch one?

my system
9900k@5.0
gigabyte z390 aorus elite
32 system memorry
nvidea 2070 super
windows 10

Thank you.

Solution
You couldn't tell the difference with a stopwatch. It takes a computer generated benchmark to do that.

Sometimes 'Good enuff' is simply that, good enough. Get the cheaper version, even a 970 evo Plus is a lot more than most will ever have any use for. Especially gamers.

USAFRet

Titan
Your motherboard will take a PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe drive.
The 970.

The 980 will 'work', but only at 3.0 speed, not 4.0.

Additionally, the 970 Pro is almost certainly not needed.
The 970 EVO is just as fast in 99% of use cases, and less expensive.

What do you use this system for?
What other drives will be in this?

Oct 6, 2020
No other drives. Use games and modding of games that include some larger files. From what I have read the 970 evo uses tlc while the pro uses MLC something like that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You couldn't tell the difference with a stopwatch. It takes a computer generated benchmark to do that.

Sometimes 'Good enuff' is simply that, good enough. Get the cheaper version, even a 970 evo Plus is a lot more than most will ever have any use for. Especially gamers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS