Question Need advise on which motherboard to choose

ronfiveo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I'm a newbie in building and I need advise on which motherboard to choose. I'm starting with a AMD Ryzen5 3600 CPU.

Well, actually, I need help with everything.

I would like to use the TV tuner card, WiFi card, CDROM drive, that is coming out of the old machine.
I want to go with a modular CPU, 450W to 550W CPU.
I have a 1T SSD, but might want to upgrade to M.2.
I would like at a minimum of 16GB RAM, but might want to go higher later on.
I am not a gamer, but would want a good video watching card if you guys think that it's needed besides the onboard graphics card that comes with the motherboard.

The CDROM drive depends on the case like if it has a bay that will work with it, but that depends on the case and so far I have not been able to find one that will allow for it's usage.

I need help first of all with the motherboard. Can anyone point me to one that will fit these card components along with the board being some what "future resistant" in case I want to upgrade to M.2, and more RAM with a lot of USB connections? There seems to be more boards than one can shake a stick at in a lifetime.

And what parts would you use to build a good fast PC with out any gaming in mind and mostly for web-surfing, streaming, and videos? I would like your personal preferences to help my decisions.

Thanks for all your help. I really need it to help me make good solid choices.

Ron

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a newbie in building and I need advise on which motherboard to choose. I'm starting with a AMD Ryzen5 3600 CPU.

Well, actually, I need help with everything.

I would like to use the TV tuner card, WiFi card, CDROM drive, that is coming out of the old machine.
I want to go with a modular CPU, 450W to 550W CPU.
I have a 1T SSD, but might want to upgrade to M.2.
I would like at a minimum of 16GB RAM, but might want to go higher later on.
I am not a gamer, but would want a good video watching card if you guys think that it's needed besides the onboard graphics card that comes with the motherboard.

The CDROM drive depends on the case like if it has a bay that will work with it, but that depends on the case and so far I have not been able to find one that will allow for it's usage.

I need help first of all with the motherboard. Can anyone point me to one that will fit these card components along with the board being some what "future resistant" in case I want to upgrade to M.2, and more RAM with a lot of USB connections? There seems to be more boards than one can shake a stick at in a lifetime.

And what parts would you use to build a good fast PC with out any gaming in mind and mostly for web-surfing, streaming, and videos? I would like your personal preferences to help my decisions.

Thanks for all your help. I really need it to help me make good solid choices.

Ron
Ryzen 3600 doesn't offer onboard video. 99% of motherboards don't either. With Intel it is integrated into all of their consumer chips (Excepting older P and recent F models). With AMD it is those parts ending in G (For graphics, all other Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs do not have graphics)

By CPU I assume you mean PSU (Power Supply), yes, 450-550W is fine for a non-gaming system.

There are still chassis that have optical drive bays.

Assuming your TV tuner is PCIe based, that shouldn't be a problem.

What is your total to spend? How large of an M.2 SSD do you want?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A quick example:

You could drop the 3600 and GT 1030 and get a Ryzen 5 3400G

Alternative to the GT 1030 would be something like an RX 550, more expensive, but quite a bit faster. Not the best time to be buying a GPU.

Alternative to the case would be my personal choice/favorite Phanteks Enthoo series. Various sizes, tempered glass, etc and a single, removable in the future, optical bay.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $732.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-01 16:41 EST-0500

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS