Need AIW 9800 Power Workaround

schifley

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Hi There. Just built a machine with an AIW 9800 Pro and a Gigabyte K8N-Pro Mobo. The only component causing a problem at this time is the 9800.

Basically with the card in place and power connected...the machine will not power up (1 second and dead).

If I start up the computer with the AIW's floppy power connector not on the board...it will start. Then before the beeping drives me crazy, I plug the floppy connector into the card. Then it works beautifully and without a problem until I have to power down the machine. Then it happens again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this.

If not could someone help me to devise a switch that I could use to avoid the manual connecting of the power cable. I'm thinking of some switch between the PS (antec 430 by the way) and the board that I could activate outside the machine just after starting the PC.

Sorry for rambling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ari

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like the thing is pulling too much power at startup, with everything firing up at once (including the drives, etc). First suggestion is to make sure the power adapter is sitting on it's own cable, so it won't pull power from another device on that cable. If that doesn't work it might be time to contact Antec.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
Very strenge I have a 9800 Pro and a P4 2800 and a 300W PS. And it works just fine! On ly had to turn of my DVD drive or it would crash.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cleeve

Illustrious
You need a good power supply, mate.

Get a nice name brand Enermax. 350 Watts minnimum, 400+ is better.

lmuller1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
This guy isn't the only one who had this problem!
I actually ended up hooking up a second power supply external to my case just to get enough power to tun the 9800aiw pro. Even with my 500 watt power supply I had this exact problem. I do however have all 3 ram slots full, every pci and agp slot full, have a dvd drive, a cdrw drive a dvdrw drive and a 160, and 2 80 gig hard drives besides for a ton of usb stuff (at least 10).
Having the external power supply is an ok solution for now until the new enermax (650 I think) gets to the us.

pauldh

Illustrious
I have a 9800 Pro (not AIW) and your same power supply. No problems. My 9800 Pro uses the larger hard drive power cable not the small floppy connector like the 9500/9700 series. When I started to read your post, I thought, cheap PS, but that ANtec should be more than enough. Can you borrow another power supply and see if it does the same?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

TRENDING THREADS