Need an amazing Headset

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I've decided to get the G19 keyboard because it was recommenced by many and I found it for a good price.
ATM I have a pair of Razer Megalodons, I love them they are comfy but I can't help but feel that there are better headsets for sound quality.

So what are the best quality headsets you guys know of?
PS: If they are comfy that is a huge bonus!

Solution
Yes, the AKG K701's are an amazing set of cans.
They have an expansive sound stage and are very accurate and clean.
I use mine in conjunction with an Xonar Essence STX for just about everything.
Stereo sound quality is superb and emulating 5.1 surround using Dolby Headphone I get a quite realistic sound stage for games and movies.

As a down side, you will probably need an amplified sound card (or standalone amp) to truly appreciate them.
From experience, the womans Xonar Dx can drive them but they end up a bit flat sounding and lack much of the rich low end an amp brings.

If you have the cash to burn, I highly recommend the K701's.
They really do sound superb and are versatile enough to cover all your needs.
D

Deleted member 217926

SENNHEISER RS170 D. Wireless Rechargeable w/ Charging Stand.

http://bit.ly/bJCFVX

SENNHEISER RS160 Digital Wireless w/ Recharg. Batt. & Charger
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106299&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3067296&SID=

SENNHEISER RS120 Wireless RF Rechargeable w/ Charging Stand
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826159406&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3067296&SID=

+1 for Sennheiser. I have some old PC 155s and they are still an amazing headset. Mic sounds great and music/ games do too.

AMW1011

Distinguished

No offense but I just threw up.

@ OP. If you are spending good money, get some... you know.. GOOD! The only way to do that is get a good set of headphones, and a separate MIC. For the Mic I recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

For gaming you want a pair of Audio Technica AD700 headphones. They have the clearest imaging of any headphone for under $400. What this means is that you can easily place the location and distinction of sounds (IE footsteps) in games, giving you a major tactical advantage.

If you want something that is good for music and gaming, then I need to know what you listen to.

As a reference, everything suggested thus far pales in comparison to what you can get for your money. To be blunt, your current headset sounds like ass. No offense. :D

+1 AMW1011 for a good pair of cans and a clip on mic..

Personally, I would recommend a pair of Grado i60's and a Clip-On Microphone.
Total cost will be around $89 and the Grado i60's are a great sounding pair of cans that are easy to drive (no amplifier necessary).

I have a pair of Grado i60's with bowls as my walk-around cans and can attest that they sound nearly as good as my at home AKG K701's.
Great sound stage, detailed mids to lows and high ends that is nary a touch shy of the AKG's (and would probably be closer if I used them with the Essence STX instead of an iPod Touch :/).

I have also heard good things regarding the AD700's but have unfortunately not heard them myself.
Judging from HeadRoom's frequency graphs however, I would expect a cooler sound (not as much, but somewhat more accurate, bass), quite recessed upper mids and a sound that is not quite as smooth.
80cZp

Although I prefer the Grado's, both pairs of headphones would be a definite improvement over what you have and what has been recommended so far.

Beyond the cans, if you are planning on picking up a new sound card (as the Megalodons are USB headphones) I would recommend either the ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI) or Xonar Dx (PCIe).
Both are identical aside from the interface and offer excellent sound quality.
The also offer Dolby Headphone so you can continue to game and watch movies in virtual surround sound.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Wow the Audio Technica AD700 look so amazing solid and comfy....
Is that clip on mic really solid tho?

And I suppose you're right, I can't get great sounding 2.0 and 7.1 that just isn't going to happen.

So I can keep my Megalodons for the very little 7.1 games there are, unless the 2.0 on the Audio Technica AD700 sounds even better then maybe they will get put away forever.

As for sound cards, my motherboard has a build in soundcard but I bet it would pale in comparison to a real one.
PS: My mobo is a Crosshair IV Formula

Oh and as an edit, I listen to Techno and Rock, almost everything but no country and a very low amount of Rap.

AMW1011

Distinguished

The clip on mic works great, perhaps too well. It tends to pick up a lot of ambient, but it is very clear.

Judging from your musical tastes, I'm guessing that you like the bass? Well if you want very nice bass then I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which is what I use. They don't have the imaging of the AD700s, but their imaging is still very good. They have a very balanced and neutral sound signature, but with a very nice quantity of bass, but still not an overpowering quantity.

Grado i60s are decent headphones, but their imaging and soundstage is quite low so I have a hard time recommending them for serious gaming, not that they will perform terribly, just not as well as others. Their midrange hump and sound signature makes the electrical guitar sound heavenly though, just like all Grados (HS1000 as an exception).

Yes, the AKG K701's are an amazing set of cans.
They have an expansive sound stage and are very accurate and clean.
I use mine in conjunction with an Xonar Essence STX for just about everything.
Stereo sound quality is superb and emulating 5.1 surround using Dolby Headphone I get a quite realistic sound stage for games and movies.

As a down side, you will probably need an amplified sound card (or standalone amp) to truly appreciate them.
From experience, the womans Xonar Dx can drive them but they end up a bit flat sounding and lack much of the rich low end an amp brings.

If you have the cash to burn, I highly recommend the K701's.
They really do sound superb and are versatile enough to cover all your needs.

Solution
Unfortunately that is a pretty low budget to get a good amp with.
You could try an ultra budget FiiO E5 for around $23 but I doubt will have enough ump to make to much of a difference.
A CMoy or Bravo V2 would probably do a bit of a better job powering them but they are not necessarily the most powerful or cleanest amps.

Probably I would try and sniper a Bravo V2 off eBay for $35-40 to keep me happy for a few months.
During that time, if you are not happy with the sound from the inexpensive amp, you could work on saving enough for a better amp/soundcard.

Just my 0,02€