[SOLVED] Need an answer asap! Can the NF-12x25 PWM fan be plugged into the chasis fan 4 pin on the MOBO?

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Hey guys,

So I am basically putting a noctua fan over the heatsink that is on top of my GPU's backplate.

Is it safe for me to plug the NF A12x25 PWM fan into the Chasis Fan 4 pin slot on the motherboard?

An answer asap would help so much as I have already plugged it in thinking it would be safe..

Regards

Noobpunk

Prominent
Jan 11, 2022
Yes, it should be safe. Is this just a supplemental fan in addition to the GPU's other fan(s)?
Thank you for the response firstly!

Yeah that is correct, I just want to clarify whether pluggint the fan onto the chasis fan 4 pin port on the MOBO would be safe and wouldnt cause damage.

Because it states I should plug this into a PWM fan header on the mobo but I dont have any with that name. My mobo is the ASUS X570F.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
When the fan instructions say to plug into a "PWM fan header", they mean any 4-pin header that is using the PWM Mode of control. On mobos these typically are labelled as SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN.

No real problem doing that, it will NOT harm anything. There is only one very small issue that you cannot do anything about, so it is NOT a worry. It would be ideal if that fan's speed could be governed by a temperature inside the graphics card it is cooling. That is how the card's own fan is controlled. BUT there is no practical way to access that temp info, so having your added fan controlled by the temperature measured on the MOBO (that's what a SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header does) is a VERY good approximation and will work just fine.