[SOLVED] Need an Appraisal on my PC

Jul 6, 2021
So I built a pc in the summer of 2017 (exactly 4 years ago in a few days) and I need to sell it. I have gone through some listings of some components of the specs I have and came up with something but I’m sure y’all have a better appraisal than I came up with it. Little background, I played a lot of Minecraft for the first two years, fortnite for the next year, and briefly Rainbow 6 siege for a few weeks. Haven’t played games on it for a year though and only used it around once a month for brief productivity sessions. I have windows 10 on it (I know windows 11 was just announced or something recently). I think I have 150 gb used out of 250 on my computer but I need to just wipe everything from it when I sell it. I don’t care what I get for it, I just want something. Anyways here’s my components. If y’all need any more info, I’ll be happy to provide:
Processor: Intel Core i5 7500k LGA 1151 7th gen
Processor cooling fan: cooler master hyper 212 evo
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC 4GB GDDR5
SSD: Samsung 960 evo series 250 GB
Power supply: Rosewill Stallion Series 500 W
Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2
Tower: Rosewill Cullinan ATX Mid Tower
Lighting: NZXT Hue+

Price of each components that I calculated:
Processor and Cooling fan: $145
Graphics Card: $200
SSD: $50
Power Supply: $40
Ram: $25
Motherboard: $100
Tower: $75
Lighting: $15

Solution
it's hard to determine what the easiest way to go about unloading it is.
selling as a complete system you may not find any buyers for some time, or ever.
but splitting it into separate components you may be stuck with a few of the items that will never sell.

are you planning another build or have a secondary system around that you could make use of some of the components with?

if you're happy with ~$650, you could find someone rather unknowledgeable about computer products that is just happy finding a complete system for under $1000.
labeling it as a "gaming" system could help with this type of instance.

i would try posting it on something local like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and see what, if any, type of response you get...
selling as a complete system you may not find any buyers for some time, or ever.
but splitting it into separate components you may be stuck with a few of the items that will never sell.

are you planning another build or have a secondary system around that you could make use of some of the components with?

if you're happy with ~$650, you could find someone rather unknowledgeable about computer products that is just happy finding a complete system for under $1000.

i would try posting it on something local like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and see what, if any, type of response you get.
shipping for something like this can really inflate the price so keeping it local can make it easier to unload.

Reactions: Caseofdillas
Solution
Jul 6, 2021

i would try posting it on something local like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist and see what, if any, type of response you get.
shipping for something like this can really inflate the price so keeping it local can make it easier to unload.
Thanks for the response. I have had several of my friends tell me they want some components but not the whole pc. I don’t have a separate system. I’m just needing to sell it. Been out of PCs for a while and created this account just for this post. Planning to post on FB marketplace

just needing to sell it
i'd start with the full system listed.
check between eBay & Amazon to see if your expected prices are close to the average for used.
add those up and maybe add $50-100 for putting in the time to assemble it.

if no one is interested lower the price a bit every few days to a week.
if after a few weeks still no interest, i would probably dismantle everything and sell it off individually or in small related bundles.

if selling local ends up being a bust;
you can also create an Amazon Storefront seller account.
if in the US, the USPS offers some pretty good deals with free Priority Mail packaging & pickup.

Jul 6, 2021
i'd start with the full system listed.
check between eBay & Amazon to see if your expected prices are close to the average for used.
add those up and maybe add $50-100 for putting in the time to assemble it.

if no one is interested lower the price a bit every few days to a week.
if after a few weeks still no interest, i would probably dismantle everything and sell it off individually or in small related bundles.

if selling local ends up being a bust;
you can also create an Amazon Storefront seller account.
if in the US, the USPS offers some pretty good deals with free Priority Mail packaging & pickup.
Thanks. Anyone else

Thanks. Anyone else
it all depends on the market, i see you listed some prices for some of the components

what you need to do is check your local market for prices to similar systems, and price it accordingly (eg. if you want it to be gone fast undercut the market)

a product can be theoretically worth X dollars, but if noone wants to buy it at that price, you won't be able to sell it

so forget whatever you think it's worth and focus on the true market value

selling it in parts is a good idea to max your profits, but is a slower process

Jul 6, 2021
it all depends on the market, i see you listed some prices for some of the components

what you need to do is check your local market for prices to similar systems, and price it accordingly (eg. if you want it to be gone fast undercut the market)

a product can be theoretically worth X dollars, but if noone wants to buy it at that price, you won't be able to sell it

so forget whatever you think it's worth and focus on the true market value

selling it in parts is a good idea to max your profits, but is a slower process
Does the amount that I listed for each component seem like a fair asking price?

Probably not.
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

Selling a complete pc on ebay is easy enough, but you need to deduct for omission.
And, shipping cases is expensive.

It is best to sell the pc locally if you can.

Jul 6, 2021
Probably not.
A pc will often fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

Selling a complete pc on ebay is easy enough, but you need to deduct for omission.
And, shipping cases is expensive.

It is best to sell the pc locally if you can.
I’m most likely going to get a friend help me disassemble it and sell the parts. Would you say that the prices I have listed for the parts are reasonable? I did all my research and chose the lowest cost of all of it from my searches on eBay

I’m most likely going to get a friend help me disassemble it and sell the parts. Would you say that the prices I have listed for the parts are reasonable? I did all my research and chose the lowest cost of all of it from my searches on eBay
no.

First of all, I think you have a i5-7500, not a i5-7500K which I think does not exist.
You need to advertise with a proper description.
A i5-7500 sells for $85 to $110.
If you have a i5-7600K, it sells for $94 to $120.

On GTX1050ti, it sells for $150-$200.

The samsung 250gb sells for $35.

You need to filter your searches to completed auctions, not what the asking price is.
You will see them in green.

Jul 6, 2021
no.

First of all, I think you have a i5-7500, not a i5-7500K which I think does not exist.
You need to advertise with a proper description.
A i5-7500 sells for $85 to $110.
If you have a i5-7600K, it sells for $94 to $120.

On GTX1050ti, it sells for $150-$200.

The samsung 250gb sells for $35.

You need to filter your searches to completed auctions, not what the asking price is.
You will see them in green.
Sorry it was a 7600k my bad. Thanks for the help.

List is at whatever you want, even full new price, you won't get executed if it's "wrong", just lower it till someone buys it or you don't want to lower the price anymore.
Video card prices are pretty high now, so your 1050 card may be worth more than when you bought it new.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it's not part of a system, used cases are incredibly hard to move, especially when they're not particularly high-end ones. Wal-Mart sells new Rosewill Cullinans for $70, so selling a used one will be a hard sell at $70 plus shipping.

The PSU, unfortunately, is junk, a group-regulated Solytech with passive PFC that must be a decade old at this point. You can buy new junk PSUs of better quality for $40. I couldn't justify any more than $15 for it, with the labels and voltage switch clearly shown in pictures so that somebody would know just what they're getting into. (Just personally, I wouldn't sell this for ethical reasons, and would send it out for recycling).

Jul 6, 2021
With the help of my friend, I took apart my computer today.
List is at whatever you want, even full new price, you won't get executed if it's "wrong", just lower it till someone buys it or you don't want to lower the price anymore.
Video card prices are pretty high now, so your 1050 card may be worth more than when you bought it new.
Was talking to my friend about this and he said this as well. I’m highly considering that, but it’s also an older part, so I’m unsure.
If it's not part of a system, used cases are incredibly hard to move, especially when they're not particularly high-end ones. Wal-Mart sells new Rosewill Cullinans for $70, so selling a used one will be a hard sell at $70 plus shipping.

The PSU, unfortunately, is junk, a group-regulated Solytech with passive PFC that must be a decade old at this point. You can buy new junk PSUs of better quality for $40. I couldn't justify any more than $15 for it, with the labels and voltage switch clearly shown in pictures so that somebody would know just what they're getting into. (Just personally, I wouldn't sell this for ethical reasons, and would send it out for recycling).
I recently saw the thing about the case, and so I moved it down to $40. Unsure about the PSU. Ill try to get whatever I can for it

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
as far cases go, even the mid range one are a tough to sell. Unless it's a 200 bucks one, resale value is close to zero. You would be lucky to get 20 for that one in a garage sale.
It may sound harsh but when you have cases like carbide air 240 floating around to 50ish bucks new....

Even with higher end cases, reselling is problematic as even folks who build pcs from second hand parts generally like to buy a new case. It's one of the very few visible parts to make the PC really your own.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
S
So I built a pc in the summer of 2017 (exactly 4 years ago in a few days) and I need to sell it. I have gone through some listings of some components of the specs I have and came up with something but I’m sure y’all have a better appraisal than I came up with it. Little background, I played a lot of Minecraft for the first two years, fortnite for the next year, and briefly Rainbow 6 siege for a few weeks. Haven’t played games on it for a year though and only used it around once a month for brief productivity sessions. I have windows 10 on it (I know windows 11 was just announced or something recently). I think I have 150 gb used out of 250 on my computer but I need to just wipe everything from it when I sell it. I don’t care what I get for it, I just want something. Anyways here’s my components. If y’all need any more info, I’ll be happy to provide:
Processor: Intel Core i5 7500k LGA 1151 7th gen
Processor cooling fan: cooler master hyper 212 evo
Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC 4GB GDDR5
SSD: Samsung 960 evo series 250 GB
Power supply: Rosewill Stallion Series 500 W
Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 2 sticks of 4 GB DDR4
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2
Tower: Rosewill Cullinan ATX Mid Tower
Lighting: NZXT Hue+

Price of each components that I calculated:
Processor and Cooling fan: $145
Graphics Card: $200
SSD: $50
Power Supply: $40
Ram: $25
Motherboard: $100
Tower: $75
Lighting: $15
Seeing current prices really pains my heart man. Well, utimately, its just how you word it and how you plan on service i guess. If you put a warranty on it, maybe that'll justify higher prices. You can also type esports ready on the title or something, hopefully that will attract buyers. Most buyers of a built pc is people who're not really familiar with specs anyway. As long as it can perform as expected or promised, most would be content with it. If i were you though, i'd sell it with brand new price these days. Just google their release msrp and add them up together.

No. The power supply is poor quality and so old it has no value and will need to be replaced by whomever buys your system. If you can get $350-$400 USD for the system I think you'd be doing really good. You may have to settle for less. Ultimately it's only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it regardless of whatever value you think it has.

alexbirdie

Respectable
If I would need a new system, mainly for office and websurfing, I would prefer to build a cheap , but new system.
I cannot imagine any cause for me to buy a used system like yours for me.

But if you sell the parts, the only interesting thing might be the GPU( for about 150$, but not more).