[SOLVED] Need an opinion on my build

Jan 10, 2021
Hi Guys!

Want to make a rather "low budget" build. I picked some components which seem to have a rather good performance for casual gaming etc. and i got offers which allow me to buy everything together for ca. 800€.
This is my PcPartPicker Setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pnsN2V

I wanted to know if i picked them right in terms of performance, bottlenecking or if i just didn't notice anything problematic.
Hope you guys can help me!

Thx a lot in Advantage!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Cpu/mobo are really good,nice choice.
The ram is enough,but it is only in single channel.I recommend going for 2x8gb instead of 1x16gb,trust me you will see the difference.
Is 512GB enough for your needs?
I would get a 1TB HDD for games and use that 512gb ssd for windows and related programs.
Now onto the GPU,1660Ti is a really good card,but it has the same performance as the 1660 SUPER,which is generally cheaper.The money saved from going with a 1660 super can be used to buy that 1TB HDD i was talking about.
The case is good.
The psu not so much,i would go for something more reliable,like this
And here is my version of your build
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor...
Cpu/mobo are really good,nice choice.
The ram is enough,but it is only in single channel.I recommend going for 2x8gb instead of 1x16gb,trust me you will see the difference.
Is 512GB enough for your needs?
I would get a 1TB HDD for games and use that 512gb ssd for windows and related programs.
Now onto the GPU,1660Ti is a really good card,but it has the same performance as the 1660 SUPER,which is generally cheaper.The money saved from going with a 1660 super can be used to buy that 1TB HDD i was talking about.
The case is good.
The psu not so much,i would go for something more reliable,like this
And here is my version of your build
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B460 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Patriot P300 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($498.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1044.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-10 10:51 EST-0500

Solution
Jan 10, 2021
Hello Djoza!

Thanks for your fast response and for the hint with the 2x8GB RAM modules, i will change that!
Yeah i plan to expand the storage with a 1TB Sata SSD later, but for the first few months the 512Gb M.2 will be fine.
I get that point with the GTX 1660 Ti, but i got a really nice offer, which allows me to buy it cheaper compared to the SUPER.
I chose the PSU over the reviews on Amazon but i also think that a Corsair or be quiet! PSU would fit better!

Thank you very much, you helped me a lot!

If you can get a 1660Ti for a cheaper price then go for it.
Its just that the 1660 super is cheaper for the same performance,but if you can get 1660ti for cheaper then go for it.
For psu reviews,you can actually look at this sites reviews,there is hardly a product that hasnt been reviewed by tomshardware,and they are pretty accurate.

Most games are graphics limited, so budgeting much more for the gpu than the cpu is good.

As above, make that a 2 x 8gb ram kit.

On the psu, 500w is fine but it is way down on this psu quality list:

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Jan 10, 2021
Hi geofelt!

Thanks for the advice, i think i'll change the PSU to a be quiet! System Power 9.

In another forum some guys mentioned, that it'd be useful to swith to a mainboard with Z490 Chipset, how do you think about that?
Also they suggested to avoid the GTX 1660 Ti and rather buy a used GTX 1080 or RTX 2060 :unsure:

How likely are you to upgrade your processor to a K suffix version which is capable of overclocking?
If such an upgrade is likely, then Z490 up front will enable overclocking.
Of course there will be a price difference between B460 and Z490.
If the price difference is minimal, I would opt for Z490.
Look also at MATX motherboards, they can be cheaper.
Most of us do not need 7 expansion slots. We use only one for graphics

If you have extra funds, consider a 1tb intel 665P up front.
About $100.

I would also consider 650w or even 750w for the psu. to enable a much stronger graphics upgrade in the future.
The price difference is often small and a psu will only use the power demanded of it regardless of the max capability.
A quality psu with a 7 or 10 year warranty is a good long term purchase.

Graphics cards seem hard to buy now.
You will have the new vs. used question.
As to capability, here is tom's GPU hierarchy list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

If you buy used, look for an EVGA card. If the seller registered the card, it may have some transferable warranty left.

Jan 10, 2021
It's not really likely that i will overclock the i5. I think the difference between my selected Mainboard B460 and the cheapest Z490 is about 25€.
Unfortunately i don't have extra funds, but i can expand in the future.

Yeah you're right, would be wise to buy a 650W PSU.

Also thx for the tip with EVGA Cards!

DSzymborski

Titan
MSI and Gigabyte also tend to be be generous with used cards as well.

And I second the appreciation of EVGA. I've had a lot of EVGA cards over the years and more often than not, when one is a problem, they'll RMA a slightly better one back. So if one of three fans is being obnoxious, I'll intentionally wait until near the end of the RMA period and frequently get a really nice upgrade.