[SOLVED] Need an opinion on this Custom Build PC?

Dec 31, 2019
Hi all, so I've been wanting to build my own PC for a while now. I'm not a hardcore gaming, but I do want to try some game like Rust, maybe Fortnite and Dota.
But why I wanted to build is to learn how to Editing, mostly photos since I like photography.

Here's all of the part I wanted to try:

Ryzen 5 3600
B450 MSI Gaming Plus Max / Tomahawk Max
2x8GB RAM DDR4 3200Mhz
550W Gold Rated PSU
GALAX GeForce GTX 1660 Super?
M.2 NVMe 512GB

Any other suggestion of what best to change? I’m not sure what to pick for the VGA, is 1660 Super a good choice? and Is the MOBO best for this build or should I wait for B550?
And is this build will be relevant in the next 5 years if I’m planning to Upgrade?

P.S.
I live in South East Asia, so prices maybe differ in USA/Europe due to taxes of course.

Solution
Hi all, so I've been wanting to build my own PC for a while now. I'm not a hardcore gaming, but I do want to try some game like Rust, maybe Fortnite and Dota.
But why I wanted to build is to learn how to Editing, mostly photos since I like photography.

Ryzen 5 3600
2x8GB RAM DDR4 3200Mhz
550W Gold Rated PSU
M.2 NVMe 512GB

Any other suggestion of what best to change? I’m not sure what to pick for the VGA, is 1660 Super a good choice? and Is the MOBO best for this build or should I wait for B550?
And is this build will be relevant in the next 5 years if I’m planning to Upgrade?

P.S.
I live in South East Asia, so prices...

Ryzen 5 3600
2x8GB RAM DDR4 3200Mhz
550W Gold Rated PSU
M.2 NVMe 512GB

P.S.
I live in South East Asia, so prices maybe differ in USA/Europe due to taxes of course.

That looks like a decent build... given you are only looking at fairly light games and you want to look at photo editing you might want to rebalance the build more towards the cpu rather than gpu.

Assuming you are going to be using a standard 1080p monitor, you could get by fine with a cheaper graphics card e.g. 1650 Super or RX 570 / 580.

Edit: CPU wise you could then looking at moving up from the R5 3600 to an R7 3700X cpu.

Reactions: Jokoki123
Solution
Dec 31, 2019
That looks like a decent build... given you are only looking at fairly light games and you want to look at photo editing you might want to rebalance the build more towards the cpu rather than gpu.

Assuming you are going to be using a standard 1080p monitor, you could get by fine with a cheaper graphics card e.g. 1650 Super or RX 570 / 580.

Edit: CPU wise you could then looking at moving up from the R5 3600 to an R7 3700X cpu.

Good to hear that.
But will it Be bottleneck if I use RX 580?
And what is the best MOBO for this, the Gaming Plus MAX or Tomahawk MAX?
Planning to buy some LG Ultrawide monitor like 29WK600-W. Is it good for editing?

Your build is reasonable.
Some thoughts:

Photoshop can use ram for performance.
Consider 2 x 16gb up front.
Adding ram later is not always compatible.

The quality of the psu is not directly related to efficiency ratings like gold/bronze...
Look to a quality brand like seasonic.

Some editing apps can use the CUDA capabilities of nvidia cards.
The number of CUDA cores may be more important than gaming performance.

In 5 years, your pc will probably not be worth upgrading.
Parts get better and cheaper all the time.

Aug 7, 2018
FYI, the word "prebuilt" generally refers to factory-built (Dell, Gateway, etc...). What you are doing is "custom built", or even "home built". You left off the specific model for the PSU. This is the single-most important component in the whole build.

Dec 31, 2019
Your build is reasonable.
Some thoughts:

Photoshop can use ram for performance.
Consider 2 x 16gb up front.
Adding ram later is not always compatible.

The quality of the psu is not directly related to efficiency ratings like gold/bronze...
Look to a quality brand like seasonic.

Some editing apps can use the CUDA capabilities of nvidia cards.
The number of CUDA cores may be more important than gaming performance.

In 5 years, your pc will probably not be worth upgrading.
Parts get better and cheaper all the time.

So is it better to buy Seasonic Gold or Bronze 550W?

But for normal GPU its still capable of editing photo is it? without the CUDA capabilities?

Dec 31, 2019
FYI, the word "prebuilt" generally refers to factory-built (Dell, Gateway, etc...). What you are doing is "custom built", or even "home built". You left off the specific model for the PSU. This is the single-most important component in the whole build.

Ahh okay sorry, I miss interpret the meaning. Change the title already ;)
The PSU I'm looking for is Seasonic Focus Gold GX / FX 550W, Full Modular - Gold 80+
or should I get a higher one?

Last edited:
Seasonic focus of any kind is top quality.
Gold/platinum is not likely to save you much in electricity, but higher efficiency is likely to be quieter.
the Seasonic Focus Gold GX / FX 550W, Full Modular - Gold 80+ you mentioned is excellent.
You can run a graphics card as good as perhaps a RTX2080.