[SOLVED] Need an OTA DVR with optical audio

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Dish TV is at it again and has taken away CBS right when the fall season of programming is starting up. I have been researching over the air antenna DVR's all morning and am mentally exhausted. I have the following requirements.

Must be able to record at least 4 shows at a time

Must have an optical audio port to connect to my audio receiver so I can watch tv in surround sound

Must be able to watch a recorded show while recording a live show at the same time

Must have some sort of menu to schedule recordings automatically

So far the only thing I see is the Tivo Bolt but all you can get is refurbished ones.

I feel stupid for paying $80/mo for Dish when literally all I watch is ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I also watch maybe 1 on demand movie per month. Is Tivo the only option for my requirements? The newest one, Edge can only record 2 shows at once. The Bolt at $299 with lifetime subscriptions seems reasonable. Does anybody have one and would you recommend it?

I don't need any streaming capability. I don't watch Netflix, Hulu or any of those, just local tv stations.

kanewolf

Titan
Dish TV is at it again and has taken away CBS right when the fall season of programming is starting up. I have been researching over the air antenna DVR's all morning and am mentally exhausted. I have the following requirements.

Must be able to record at least 4 shows at a time

Must have an optical audio port to connect to my audio receiver so I can watch tv in surround sound

Must be able to watch a recorded show while recording a live show at the same time

Must have some sort of menu to schedule recordings automatically

So far the only thing I see is the Tivo Bolt but all you can get is refurbished ones.

I feel stupid for paying $80/mo for Dish when literally all I watch is ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. I also watch maybe 1 on demand movie per month. Is Tivo the only option for my requirements? The newest one, Edge can only record 2 shows at once. The Bolt at $299 with lifetime subscriptions seems reasonable. Does anybody have one and would you recommend it?

I don't need any streaming capability. I don't watch Netflix, Hulu or any of those, just local tv stations.
Your optical audio could be accomplished by an optical audio output "tap" on an HDMI output.

I don't find any obvious choice for hardware for you.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Your optical audio could be accomplished by an optical audio output "tap" on an HDMI output.

I don't find any obvious choice for hardware for you.

I've had this tv for 10 years and never realized it has an optical audio connection. I connected it to my audio receiver and was able to watch tv in surround sound with my over the air antenna.

I guess this expands my choices now since I don't have to have a "box" with optical audio output.

TRENDING THREADS