[SOLVED] Need an Overclock Profile that boosts One CPU Core for One Game

Aug 24, 2020
Hi guys, I need some help from the pros...

My overclocking knowledge is about 4/10 and my current rig is as follows: Asus X-99 Pro motherboard, i7-6850K processor, 32GB 2133MHz RAM and 1080ti GPU.

My processor has a base clock of 3.6GHz but comes with "Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0" that automatically pushes all CPU cores to 4.1, or in some cases the two busiest to 4.1 and the rest to 3.9. All of the above works great for 99% of games I use the PC for, including the one I'm currently playing: Metro Exodus.

However... there's one game that I need help with that some of you are no doubt familiar with, and it's the DCS flight simulator with VR. DCS only uses one CPU core for the actual game, another core for the sound, and the other cores are essentially unused. So when I fire up DCS I need the PC to automatically change the CPU configuration to focus on single core performance, and then revert back to all-core performance when the game closes.

What's the elegant solution here?
I notice in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility there's "App-Profile Pairing". Is this what I should be using (tried it to push one core to 4.4 but nothing happened) or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks,
Rick

Solution
Hey Rick,

I would suggest doing something much like what I have, I have an X99 Deluxe, set the cores in BIOS to 'per core', and overclock one or two cores slightly higher than the rest. You can drop a few of the other cores to balance it out if unstable (e.g. 43,43, 41,41, 40, 40, if its a hexi) or something like that. Up the Vcore if you need to but if you stay around stock ratios of 40ish you shouldn't need any more Vcore.

Not sure about XTUs 'App Profile Pairing', I don't use that anymore.

Keep in mind though, that the system will automatically run 2 cores higher (or whatever cores are set higher in BIOS) if it determines you need only 2 cores (or only one). It will drop down to a lower clock if all cores are required.

Hope this...

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Hey Rick,

I would suggest doing something much like what I have, I have an X99 Deluxe, set the cores in BIOS to 'per core', and overclock one or two cores slightly higher than the rest. You can drop a few of the other cores to balance it out if unstable (e.g. 43,43, 41,41, 40, 40, if its a hexi) or something like that. Up the Vcore if you need to but if you stay around stock ratios of 40ish you shouldn't need any more Vcore.

Keep in mind though, that the system will automatically run 2 cores higher (or whatever cores are set higher in BIOS) if it determines you need only 2 cores (or only one). It will drop down to a lower clock if all cores are required.

Hope this helps mate.

Reactions: Patersonski
Solution
Aug 24, 2020
Hey Rick,

Hope this helps mate.
Thanks so much; just what I was looking for.

Reactions: RamboRyza

TRENDING THREADS