Question Need assistance activating Windows 10 Enterprise E3 license

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I got a new laptop that shipped with windows 10 home, i removed that and installed Windows Pro 64 Bit ver 21H1 on the basis that i can login to my work account which has a W10 Enterprise E3 license and it would automatically activate.

What i am seeing right now is that my work account is signed in and it's connected to the company's AD, my windows pro is showing that it's W10 Enterprise but it says "We can't activate windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key".

Now i have gone through a lot of Microsoft documentations and i am unable to find a clear answer on this but do you actually need a pro license in order to activate the E3 one? is the E3 one not a standalone license? And if that's the case and i want to test this can i use my personal pro product key and remove it after from the laptop or will it be digitally bound to my work account once activated?

Thanks,

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Since you have a corporate license you should be going through your IT department for this issue. That's what they're there for.
It's a bit complicated lol, my company was acquired by a bigger company and they moved our accounts on the new tenant but my support requests still has to go through the old company's IT and they simply don't know and are taking ages to get anything done. All i got out of them was that the license is assigned from the admin portal and that it should activate as soon as i login but they initially said that i can install W10 Enterprise evaluation then upgrade it which turned out to be false as per this article Upgrade or use S mode on Windows 10 devices - Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Docs

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Well, they're the only ones that can address this issue.

First question however is how did you manage to join this workstation to the domain? That requires a Domain Administrator level login, or at least a login with "Add to Domain" rights.
As soon as i logged in with my work account during the setup it showed that i am connected to the company's active directory, however it seems from my research that the E3 Windows 10 enterprise does not activate windows 10 but instead it upgrades an activated pro license to Enterprise. Still trying to find a microsoft source that explicitly explains that so i can share it with my IT department.

Status
Not open for further replies.