[SOLVED] Need Assistance in a System Upgrade

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but I was just wondering if anyone could provide me assistance on upgrading my system?

I am basically doing a fresh start but I am not replacing the HDD, and that is where most of my confusion comes from.

I was just wondering if you guys had any like steps you could type out for me or something? I am new to this PC building business

Solution
Ok. Kingston currently sells a 240gb 2.5inch sata ssd for $29.99. I use one of these 240gb kingston drives as a games drive and a 120gb hp s700 ssd as a boot drive. The kingston drive is fast and very reasonably priced. Even with a low end and slow (for an ssd) 120gb hp ssd my system boots in about 20 seconds. I never would move back to a mechanical drive for anything other mass storage.
Its not unheard of for an old laptop to boot in like 2-3 minutes with a hdd and with an ssd boot in under 30 seconds.

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
A) what do you plan to do with the new pc?
B) whats you budget?
C) will you buy new or used hardware?
You may want to wipe the old hdd for a 2nd drive and buy a new ssd for quick boot times.

I have already purchased the major parts as I plan to use it for gaming.
  • Replacing an RX 280 with an RX 580
  • Replacing an ASUS P6T SE with a B450M
  • Replacing 8gb Ballistix RAM with G.Series I think

It is off newegg, as far as I know it is new hardware.

ok. Assuming you havent bough a cpu or psu yet i would reccomend a ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x if you dont overclock. I would reccomend a evga SeaSonic 650 watt psu for that build. Make sure the ram you picked is about 3000mhz or more since ryzen needs fast ram to function optimally.

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
ok. Assuming you havent bough a cpu or psu yet i would reccomend a ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x if you dont overclock. I would reccomend a evga SeaSonic 650 watt psu for that build. Make sure the ram you picked is about 3000mhz or more since ryzen needs fast ram to function optimally.
Sorry I did not mention the CPU. I did get a Ryzen, I am kind of copying a friends build that is working out just nicely. I am using components from my Uncles computer so I have everything. The things i will not be replacing are the 600w PSU I already have and the HDD.

To branch two questions:
  • Do you suggest wiping the HDD
  • Is 600 watts enough?

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
600watts is enough as long as it is a quality psu. What model is it?
I would wipe the hdd for a new build. I again would get an ssd as boot drive either way.

Terribly sorry the case has a PSU hidey box or something in it so I cannot read the name. Knowing my uncle I would have to say it is a Corsair PSU.

I will consider the SSD but I am sort of on a budget. I will see what our local microcenter offers.

Edit: To confirm through an internet search, it is a 600w Corsair CX-M Series

Last edited:
Ok. Kingston currently sells a 240gb 2.5inch sata ssd for $29.99. I use one of these 240gb kingston drives as a games drive and a 120gb hp s700 ssd as a boot drive. The kingston drive is fast and very reasonably priced. Even with a low end and slow (for an ssd) 120gb hp ssd my system boots in about 20 seconds. I never would move back to a mechanical drive for anything other mass storage.
Its not unheard of for an old laptop to boot in like 2-3 minutes with a hdd and with an ssd boot in under 30 seconds.

Solution

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
The Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD I have actually gets the job done in good time. Wouldn't say as fast as an SSD. Maybe around 45 seconds?

But back to the topic, I am coming to the conclusion that an HDD wipe may be necessary to take on the new drivers

thedoomturtle

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Technically you dont need to do this but i have seen issus with poor performance without a reinstall of windows. A new windows may be nice to make sure no malware or extra junk is on your new pc.

Sorry I keep piling these on:

- I have games from like steam, origin, and epic installed. Is it not violating any copywright or licensing laws since it is still on the same HDD?

- I am absolutely sure my windows 10 install is retail because I have the flashdrive. Would I need to reactivate the license or should I contact Microsoft about it?