Need assistance with a small business network - Peachtree and Quicken related

sadmaster12

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hey guys,

The company I work for recently moved me into the office from the field. I'm looking to optimize the way the office network works, because I hate he way it is set up now. We are running mostly Windows 7 with one computer being Vista. Right now, the computer I work at is considered the "host" computer for the peachtree and quicken data files - all other computers in the office (2 or 3) connect to mine in order to edit the files directly. My concern is that I can't shut down my computer for anything because it always seems like there is connectivity issues when this computer is restarted or shut off for any reason. What I was thinking of doing was getting a router that has a USB port and connecting an external harddrive to it and mounting the data files there. My question is, will this work? If so, does anybody have any suggestions as to a router/hdd combo that will work most effectively? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

most likely it will not work since the the programs require a database to be running on the host.

best way to deal with the situation is have your machine sit in the corner as the designated host and get a new computer for yourself.

sadmaster12

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I had considered that option, but since its so lght on resources I wasn't sure that an entire computer dedicated to the two programs was really a great option. Since that really seems to be the only option, how do you suggest setting it up on the network? I'd like to keep it disconnected from a monitor/mouse/keyboard entirely until I needed it, but is there a good way to do that and be confident that everything will run smoothly? I'm not quite sure how I can set it up to be accessible to other computers on the network while at the same time not having access to the internet making it susceptible to external attacks. I also would prefer not to install virus scan software which constantly needs monitored and updated and restarted. Any further suggestions would be great, thanks.