DirtyDavinci

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
When in doubt, ask the experts I always say. First off, hi, name's Richard and this is my first time on the board, so I wanted to say hello to everyone!

Now, I have an old athlon K7 833Mhz from about six years back. Time to upgrade the puppy, but there are so many different products out there it can be a something of a confusion to get it all down. I currently have one thousand US dollars, and I want to begin to build a system I can upgrade slowly over time. I'm a gamer, and a graphics designer/wannabe medical illustrator, so a system with a good CPU power and capable of handling programs like Illustrator, Photoshop and others is a must. I am thinking of a 1 GB of Ram on an Athlon 64 processor, yet some recommend a P4 system instead. If you had a thousand dollars as a starting base, are a gamer/illustrator, what components would you buy knowing your system will be slowly upgraded with time? I'm talking about everything from CPU, mobo, to sound and video cards. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I should have specified...the price does not include monitor, speakers, mouse or keyboard. I have that.

Once again, thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DirtyDaVinci on 08/20/04 05:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Personally, if I had thousand dollars right now to buy a new system I would go with a Intel 915 chipset system that supports DDR2 and PCI Express.

Those are the future techonologies and new video cards will be PCI Express as it is twice as fast as AGP 8X, and DDR2 will replace the DDR1 sticks.

Also, Pentium 4 has hyperthreading that acts like 2 cpu's working together so it is very helpful in my opinion.

Now be advised, most of this forum is filled with AMD fans so use your judgement with who you listen to :)

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
Personally, if I had thousand dollars right now to buy a new system I would go with a Intel 915 chipset system that supports DDR2 and PCI Express.

Those are the future techonologies and new video cards will be PCI Express as it is twice as fast as AGP 8X, and DDR2 will replace the DDR1 sticks.

Also, Pentium 4 has hyperthreading that acts like 2 cpu's working together so it is very helpful in my opinion.

Now be advised, most of this forum is filled with AMD fans so use your judgement with who you listen to :)
Sighhhh, is anyone else but me sick of proving this kid wrong?

First off petey old boy. A s775 system is going to cost alot more than his budget. He said he had 1000$. S775 with it's expensive DDR2, expensive mobos, and expensive graphics cards will cost way more than 1000$.

DDR2 is NOT faster than DDR.

Once again, Hypertreading doesn't have as big of an effect as you think it does. In alot of programs it actually has a reverse effect. It "acts" as 2 physical processors but it's not the proformance of 2 processors.
PCI express cards are not twice as fast as agp cards. The port has twice the bandwidth but the bandwidth of agp has yet to be used to it's full potenial. Current pci express cards have NO speed advantage over agp cards.

PLEASE LEARN WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU POST

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 512mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, IMHO you should be looking at AMD-64 3200 or better and Northwood P4 - 3.0C. I would spend the biggest chunk of money on my graphics card. Unquestionably, the ABIT IS7 for the Northwood, and Chaintech, MSI, or ASUS for socket 754 with the NF3-250 chipset MB's. Personally, I would build a 939 board at this time. You may not be able to make your budget though! :smile:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Have a look here:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2122" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2122</A>

There will always be inteldroids that will tell you to get a "real" Pentium with lots of cool sounding acronyms like DDR2, PCI Express and hyperthreading, while in the realworld these just cost a lot of money and bring you mostly nothing. As it is now, there is precious little reason not to get an Athlon 64, it finally enjoys chipset support that is on par with intels best, its far superior in gaming, competitive in most other applications (faster in some, slower in other, it really depends), its way cooler (therefore, more silent), supports NX security (not a silver bullet, but it sure helps keeping worms out), is ready for 64 bit software, etc, etc. Its cheaper as well btw. But don't take my word for it, read some reviews here, on Anandtech, xbitlabs,.. and make up your own mind. Its always better to buy something informed then just going by recommendations. Too many fanboys, odd as it may sound.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2 GHz, 512k L2 cache)

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd probably go with an nForce3 250GB board, an XP3200+, some Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (2x512MB), and some kind of 6800 video card. I'd pick the board and card based on reviews.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Do they make a socket A Nforce3 mobo? I wasn't able to find one on Newegg, but then again, Newegg is not the final authority on what hardware exists.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, I meant an A64 3200+!!! Nice catch there, I'm glad you found it and not some fanatic.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I saw it but could not be botherd as it was obvous you meant a64 and someone would explain it. Suprized you managed to choke that out must have been tough, never seen you recomend AMD in the highend other than wait for a new feature or board whatever.

Good call the a64 3200+ might be pricy but a good over all system with some good upgradability down the road be even better once 939 suports PCI express.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heh, I started recommending the A64 right after nForce3 250 hit the market. I don't have to recommend it constantly simply because by the time I get to a thread it's already been recommended 3-5 times.

Also looks like Asrock has that 755 chipset board I believe Asus promised, but 250 boards are cheap enough to usually ignore the late 755 boards.

endyen

Splendid
The K8S8X is a good little performer. It's not very tweekable, but slap it together with an A64 2800+ or 3000+, and you have nice solid system. Put a high end graphics card on it, and a lot of gamers would think it the best.