Need "...bar" description

Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I don't know which
bar at the bottom of my desktop is the "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or
the "Quick Launch Bar"! What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner
where programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm, AVG, etc.
have installed themselves? Would like to have Corel's DAD icon located
there also, but have not been able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing
with!!

Also, can I assume that the info applying to WinXPHome will also apply
to WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know of a reasonably priced and easily
understood book for users who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to
WinXP? Any help will be much appreciated.

Molin Vardo

Hi Molin,

This will apply to WinXP Home and Pro.

The entire bar across the bottom of the screen is referred to as the
Taskbar. It contains the Start Button, Open programs icons, and the
System Tray. Some programs icons can added or removed from within
there properties or options.

The area where the clock resides is referred to as the System Tray.

The Quick Launch toolbar is just one toolbar available in the Taskbar
options. This is where applications icons are place for quick easy
starting which includes the Show Desktop icon and a few others by
default. This is where you will want to place the Coral Draw icon.

Right click on the Taskbar (make sure lock the taskbar is unchecked)
and go to Toolbars and put a check next to Quick Launch. Put the mouse
curser over the to edge of the Taskbar and drag it up to double it's
height. Now take the mouse curser and place it over the vertical line
(series of dots) and drag it to the top of the Taskbar and all the way
to the left next to the Start button. You want to end up with the
Quick Launch toolbar on top and open programs on the bottom.

A couple of good book would be MS Step-by-Step for WinXP and WinXP for
dummy's.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Molin Vardo wrote:
> Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I
> don't know which bar at the bottom of my desktop is the
> "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or the "Quick Launch Bar"!
> What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner where
> programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm,
> AVG, etc. have installed themselves? Would like to have
> Corel's DAD icon located there also, but have not been
> able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing with!!
> Also, can I assume that the info applying to WinXPHome
> will also apply to WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know of
> a reasonably priced and easily understood book for users
> who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to WinXP? Any
> help will be much appreciated.
> Molin Vardo

Hi Molin,

The area of the taskbar that you are reffering to is called the
'Notification area' in Windows XP. Programs that have been coded to place an
icon there are the ones who place an icon there. If a program does not have
an option built into it to show an icon in the notification area, then it is
not possible to put an icon there.

You may however search for third-party programs that can accomplish what you
are looking for.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Molin Vardo" <tovitox@iglou.com> wrote in message
> Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I don't know which
> bar at the bottom of my desktop is the "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or the
> "Quick Launch Bar"! What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner where
> programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm, AVG, etc. have
> installed themselves? Would like to have Corel's DAD icon located there
> also, but have not been able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing with!!
>
> Also, can I assume that the info applying to WinXPHome will also apply to
> WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know of a reasonably priced and easily
> understood book for users who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to
> WinXP? Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Molin Vardo

Thanks for the correction Anando. System Tray was 9x. <g>

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Anando [MS-MVP] wrote:
> Hi Molin,
>
> The area of the taskbar that you are reffering to is
> called the 'Notification area' in Windows XP. Programs
> that have been coded to place an icon there are the ones
> who place an icon there. If a program does not have an
> option built into it to show an icon in the notification
> area, then it is not possible to put an icon there.
> You may however search for third-party programs that can
> accomplish what you are looking for.
>

> "Molin Vardo" <tovitox@iglou.com> wrote in message
>> Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I
>> don't know which bar at the bottom of my desktop is the
>> "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or the "Quick Launch Bar"!
>> What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner where
>> programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm,
>> AVG, etc. have installed themselves? Would like to have
>> Corel's DAD icon located there also, but have not been
>> able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing with!! Also, can I assume
>> that the info applying to WinXPHome
>> will also apply to WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know
>> of a reasonably priced and easily understood book for
>> users who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to WinXP? Any help
>> will be much appreciated. Molin Vardo

Hi Molin,

The area you refer to is called the quicklaunch tool bar. If it's not
already showing just rightclick anywhere in the taskbar and select it from
the menu. If you need to resize it just uncheck the lock taskbar option.

Now to put icons into the quicklaunch bar (ie your Corel icon) just drag the
icon over the quicklaunch part of the taskbar and let go of the left mouse
button and a shortcut will be created there.

CarbonT

"Molin Vardo" <tovitox@iglou.com> wrote in message
> Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I don't know which
> bar at the bottom of my desktop is the "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or
> the "Quick Launch Bar"! What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner
> where programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm, AVG, etc.
> have installed themselves? Would like to have Corel's DAD icon located
> there also, but have not been able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing
> with!!
>
> Also, can I assume that the info applying to WinXPHome will also apply
> to WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know of a reasonably priced and easily
> understood book for users who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to
> WinXP? Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Molin Vardo

kelly

Toolbar is on top.
Taskbar is inbetween the Quick Launch Area and the Task Bar
Notification Area is what you are speaking of.

Check with Corel's DAD to see if it was programmed to be listed. In the
meantime, see line 159:
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Molin Vardo" <tovitox@iglou.com> wrote in message
> Using WinXPHome Edition SP2 on my DeskTop computer: I don't know which
> bar at the bottom of my desktop is the "ToolBar", or the "TaskBar", or the
> "Quick Launch Bar"! What is the bar in the lower right-hand corner where
> programs such as the volume control icon, Zone Alarm, AVG, etc. have
> installed themselves? Would like to have Corel's DAD icon located there
> also, but have not been able to figure out which Bar I'm dealing with!!
>
> Also, can I assume that the info applying to WinXPHome will also apply to
> WinXPPro on my laptop? Anyone know of a reasonably priced and easily
> understood book for users who have upgraded from years of Win98SE to
> WinXP? Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> Molin Vardo

Still used to the 9x days ;-) You are most welcome Bert !

--
All the best,