Question Need boot drive recommendations

g-unit1111

Titan
So I'm in the process of building a new SFF PC. My original plan was just to buy a new case and port everything from my previous PC over, but the more I researched it, the more I decided I was better off building a new PC from scratch (my current SFF PC will be used elsewhere). Normally I buy Samsung drives without even thinking about it (both of my main rigs use the 980 Pro), but given the current state of the 990 Pro and the ridiculously high fail rates of that drive, I am looking elsewhere.

I was recommended the SK Hynix P41 Platinum, and it looks like a really nice drive, but the only place I could find that drive was Amazon, and it's $100 more than similarly performing M2 drives. I am honestly having a hard time justifying the price tag of it when Gen 5 drives are right around the corner and I'm going Intel Z790 for this build. I was leaning towards the WD SN850X (and I have an SN770 that I will be using for the storage drive), but before I buy that drive, are there any others that I should be considering? I have been searching through many reviews and benchmarks and still can't really find a clear answer.

This is what my planned configuration is going to be:

Case: Lian Li A4-H20 (purchased)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W GM (purchased)
Motherboard: MSI Z790 Edge Wifi (purchasing)
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K (purchasing)
Cooler: Corsair H100i Elite Capellix (purchased)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5-6200 (purchased)
SSD1: WD Black SN850X (?)
SSD2: WD Black SN770 2TB (purchased)
GPU: TBD (leaning towards 4070TI)

So I'm in the process of building a new SFF PC. My original plan was just to buy a new case and port everything from my previous PC over, but the more I researched it, the more I decided I was better off building a new PC from scratch (my current SFF PC will be used elsewhere). Normally I buy Samsung drives without even thinking about it (both of my main rigs use the 980 Pro), but given the current state of the 990 Pro and the ridiculously high fail rates of that drive, I am looking elsewhere.

I was recommended the SK Hynix P41 Platinum, and it looks like a really nice drive, but the only place I could find that drive was Amazon, and it's $100 more than similarly performing M2 drives. I am honestly having a hard time justifying the price tag of it when Gen 5 drives are right around the corner and I'm going Intel Z790 for this build. I was leaning towards the WD SN850X (and I have an SN770 that I will be using for the storage drive), but before I buy that drive, are there any others that I should be considering? I have been searching through many reviews and benchmarks and still can't really find a clear answer.

This is what my planned configuration is going to be:

Case: Lian Li A4-H20 (purchased)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850W GM (purchased)
Motherboard: MSI Z790 Edge Wifi (purchasing)
CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K (purchasing)
Cooler: Corsair H100i Elite Capellix (purchased)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5-6200 (purchased)
SSD1: WD Black SN850X (?)
SSD2: WD Black SN770 2TB (purchased)
GPU: TBD (leaning towards 4070TI)
It is unfortunate that you missed the SK Hynix sale a few weeks ago when it was $170. In terms of speed, the WD 850X is the next best buy. There are some slightly lower performance drives like the Solidigm P44 and other drives similar to the SK Hynix that are based on the same Phison E18 controller chip with slight variations in the memory chips like the Corsair 600 drives and the Kingston 3000 drives, so any one of those would be a good buy for whatever price you consider acceptable.

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
It is unfortunate that you missed the SK Hynix sale a few weeks ago when it was $170. In terms of speed, the WD 850X is the next best buy. There are some slightly lower performance drives like the Solidigm P44 and other drives similar to the SK Hynix that are based on the same Phison E18 controller chip with slight variations in the memory chips like the Corsair 600 drives and the Kingston 3000 drives, so any one of those would be a good buy for whatever price you consider acceptable.

Does Amazon ever discount it? $244 was pretty steep for that drive, I thought. $170 would definitely make it much more palatable.

Does Amazon ever discount it? $244 was pretty steep for that drive, I thought. $170 would definitely make it much more palatable.
Well it was $170 on February 20th when I bought mine but that may have been a limited time introductory price and there's no way of telling when their next sale may be. It definitely better than the samsung 990; I took a chance on getting one, it came shipped with the latest supposedly fixed firmware, but I've been getting inconsistent readings on the SEQ1M Q1T1 test so there may be another flaw, or not.