Question Need BSOD Help Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone. I am new to PC building/Gaming and I am having a pretty rough time right now. I built this PC about a month ago and didn't have that many issues. I went on a work trip for about three weeks and not it is pretty unusable. Not sure what happened but I can't go about 5 minutes without getting a BSOD. I did take it to a PC shop ( I know... don't judge me) and they said a clean install of windows would fix it. Brought it home, clean install, and of not. After my clean install I am still getting BSODs.

They range from:
- IRQL
- Kernel Auto Boost

Before I took it into the shop I literally got eight (8) different BSODs ( I can list them if needed)

As I said I am fairly new to all of this so trying to wrap my head around it is driving me crazy. I have read a lot of posts and watched a lot of videos and nothing helped so far. Things I have done:

• Ram test through windows (No errors)
  • Ram test using memtest86 (No errors)
  • Downloaded drive booster and attempted to work on drivers ( When I did this computer wouldn't boot at all)
  • Disk check ( no errors)

I am currently trying Safe Mode right now to see if I get another BSOD.

I keep reading it is probably driver error but I have ran out of ideas.

I attempt to download drivers from my motherboards website but every time I do I get a BSOD.

System Config:
  • Corsair CX550M 550 Watts power supply
  • Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 (500gb)
  • MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • MSI GamingX GEFORCE 1660 Ti graphics card
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Corsair Vengeance Ram 3.2 GHZ (2X8)
Below I have also tried to attach the minidump files I read would be needed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14vcPBLRgDHDa3KDc2HjI2O5Q_ACVXwPz

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14infh_fEV1m_Bdy1XIJ4NIjYt3aGVqMV

This seems to happen when I am downloading files or anything super intensive on the PC. As I said though.... I have no idea.

Please any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. If you need me to do something I will do it and if I don't know how I will figure it out.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
if not already mentioned, using 3rd party driver updaters to update drivers can lead to problems.

BSOD could all be caused by Nvidia drivers, you have newest after all. If it updated since returning from trip, its all it takes.

Strange MSI Ryzen boards don't have live update 6, it makes updating their drivers slightly more tedious
I'm just not sure outside of MB/Chipset or SATA and WiFi drivers would cause BSOD whils in safe mode.
Hopefully it is a driver, but can't see it being any other third party one if they were still occurring in SM with Networking disabled (we believe!).

Reactions: jcgriff2

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Would a minidump save after a crash in Safe Mode? If so, would that assist in anyway? If it would then I can try and get one before I start the driver verifier process this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Colif

Win 11 Master
something odd if he can't run ram at max speed.

i can see why you returned to ram. memtest and the windows memcheck aren't perfect. Did he run extended memory test in windows?

if its hardware windows can get bsod where it blames itself. Safe mode would likely be that case, since no 3rd party drivers run then.

Might want to run Prime95 on CPU - - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

only other things likely to affect data then are motherboard and PSU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Silly question - are the ram dimms in slots A2 & B2?
only ask as I helped someone recently who had ram in A1 & B1 and motherboard specifically says to use A2/B2 if you have 2 sticks.
1 stick - A2
2 sticks A2/B2
motherboard isn't specific about 3 and 4 is obvious.
See page 5 of quick start guide in manual.

Edit: Nvm, PC Tailors report show ram in right slots...

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
something odd if he can't run ram at max speed.

i can see why you returned to ram. memtest and the windows memcheck aren't perfect. Did he run extended memory test in windows?

if its hardware windows can get bsod where it blames itself. Safe mode would likely be that case, since no 3rd party drivers run then.

Might want to run Prime95 on CPU - - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

only other things likely to affect data then are motherboard and PSU.
I'm not sure if you're talking about me using XMP to ensure the motherboard is running my ram at its full speed or not but... If you are below is one of the links I used to help build my pc.

Timestamp of aroung 9 minutes he talks about the RAM speed and why I "have" to use XMP to get my full speed.

View: https://youtu.be/WXwMbmhCQuY

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Alrighty... so.. memtest has completed 7 passes with no errors found.

I currently am running Drive Verifier and have thrown multiple BSODS. I have received the following errors:

• 1234 PM: IRQL Not Equal BSOD
  • 1236 PM: IRQL Not Equal BSOD
  • 1241 PM: A Black screen followed by a reset (No BSOD)
  • 1245 PM: Memory Management BSOD

I am not sure if I am looking for a certain error code or not but that is what I have so far. Attached are the three minidumps from the BSODs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=188vLvOHUzws1Smyuq54bqs-dM726-BM1
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n6fyjdgiE4kjciChraeqdfjEz9Cq4Dom

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Just to give an update here.

I am getting some great help on another forum and it is sounding like it may be a hardware issue. I have completed some more HD test and currently doing another RAM test on each individual RAM stick and A2/B2 slots.

I did another fresh install of windows and still was getting BSODs right off the bat.

If there are any other ideas that anyone has I am willing to listen. I don't know a good way to check to see if my PSU is good but it is new and rated at 550 watts. I don't think my PC would need anything more then that but it might be worth looking at if everything else is checking out.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately the voltages on the software readings are only useful is there is something very very obviously wrong. As they are often inaccurate. Also the MAX and the MIN readings are the important elements, not AVERAGE or CURRENT.

Realistically PSU is difficult to identify as most methods to test it are either inaccurate or don't tell the whole story.

There is little doubt you have a hardware fault IMO. And in reality I find your problems likely to be revolved around Storage or RAM. And realistically, the best way to test, is to replace and retest, unfortunately software is not guaranteed to find a hardware problem.

Also how long have you had the PSU?

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Good morning,
I bought the PSU near the end of August. This whole PC was built around then. I built it, then and went traveling for work for the most of September so the PC was barely used during that time period.

I am hearing a lot that it is probably hardware related. I just finished the fourth test of memtest86. It was suggested to try each stick of RAM in A2/B2 and let it run for 5 passes. Just finished all of that and there were zero errors on all four test.

Today I am going out to a big box store and buying new RAM and a PSU just to test them out. As you said, doing that might help narrow down the problem. If it doesn't I can just return the item.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Alright amazing people. Update from me for the night...

I have bought replacement peices to try in the PC to see if I coud narrow it down. Below is what I have done thus far. I have completed each step one at a time in the hopes of figuring out what is going on:

1) Replaced both sticks of memory with new 3K MHZ memory. Booted computer and got an IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD

2) Replaced PSU with a 750W PSU. Booted computer and got KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE BSOD

3) Removed M.2 SSD and installed a 120 GB SSD. Fresh install of windows and got an IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED BSOD

Tomorrow when I get home from work I will install the new Ryzen 3200G CPU to see if I get any BSOD.

After that I guess it is talking with MSI to see about them looking at the motherboard.

Guess its still up in the air if it is software or something in the hardware. All I know is that I wanted to tie a cement block to this thing and throw it in the ocean!

Thank you all so much again for all of your help this far.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I have not tried the Linux route yet. Omvr I finish up with the hardware testing I will try that.

I started off with a repair shop here and they were absolutely worthless. I did find some online options that I might pursue. As for money, everything that doesn't work wo jjsuwbe returned back to the store. That way I am able to try them but not actually "come out of pocket."

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
It might have been cheaper to take PC to a repair store than buy a bunch of spare parts.

did you ever try to run linux live USB on PC to see if you get similar problems. That would tell you if it was windows or not. I suspect you would get errors in linux - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

Alright, a couple questions before I jump into the web.

I am trying UBUNTU. I have had a couple things happen and I have no idea about linux so trying to see thoughts:

1) First time I tried I got a black screen with a lot of text which ended with " Kernel Panic - Not syncing - fatal Exception in Interrupt""
Through reading that screen I also noticed "Nouveau Unkonw Chipset." I wanted to take a picture but... I didn't. I restarted and tried the install again and got an error and selected "Try Ubuntu"

2) From the desktop inside Ubuntu things seemed to be running but when I tried to install it I got an error.

3) I rebooted and instead f installing just selected try UBUNTU and now I have been sitting at a splash screen of Ubuntu for about 10 minutes.

So, Is this me messing up Linux or is this my system telling me to burn it to the ground??

Just curious before I dive into the Linux forums and ask for help there.

EDIT: Just restarted and clicked in "Try" again and now on the UBUNTU desktop

EDIT 2: Desktop is completely frozen

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Kernel Panic - Not syncing - fatal Exception in Interrupt
This definitely tells me it's a hardware problem. Linux doesn't often get Kernel Panics, but they are the BSOD equivalent for Linux.

IMO don't waste your time in Linux forums, you have a hardware problem, you just need to find which one. Easiest way to try is to swap and replace with known working parts, such as from a friend if you can.

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
That's what I figured. Well I have to admit a "Kernel Panic" sounds better then BSOD!

I am currently going through each piece within the PC.

I just replaced the CPU and waiting to see how long I go until the beautiful blue screen shows me its face.

The last component that I would have to try is the motherboard. Best Buy didn't have the one I am currently using in stock so if this CPU fails to impress I will have to order one of those and try it.

As it stands right now, RAM, PSU, and SSD all still gave me a BSOD when I replaced them.

Thank you so much for the help again and steering me away the Linux forums. I was reading some and I have to say I wanted to vomit.

Colif

Win 11 Master
linux was just a 2nd opinion, errors in there as well likely tell us its hardware. It was just to show the problem isn't windows.

Linux can have WHEA errors which is odd since WHEA stands for WIndows hardware error architecture so why you have WIndows errors, linux?

A kernel panic (sometimes abbreviated as KP[1]) is a safety measure taken by an operating system's kernel upon detecting an internal fatal error in which it either is unable to safely recover or cannot have the system continue to run without having a much higher risk of major data loss. The term is largely specific to Unix and Unix-like systems. For Microsoft Windows operating systems the equivalent term is "Stop error",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

another way of saying
As it stands right now, RAM, PSU, and SSD all still gave me a BSOD when I replaced them.
is that they are off list of possible items to blame.
I would be more inclined to assume they aren't the problem and replacing working parts won't fix the problem :)

So keep replacing until it stops BSOD

Tbrown0824

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Well so far so good. Replaced CPU last night Nad has been about 12 hours since last BSOD.

I got one when I replaced it but updated network adalter driver and been running smooth so far.

Will post again later tonight on what the final verdict is.

Hopefully smooth sailing from here and just a warranty replacement through AMD.