[SOLVED] Need budget PSU for desktop workstation

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy folks,

I'm looking to replace a friend's dead PSU for his old HP desktop. The dead PSU says it's 160w, but when I look up the part number I find the new versions to be 360w. Also, the replacement version is $70.00 for a basic PSU, so I know we can find a better priced (hoping for around $30.00 - $40).

edit to add I'm looking at this EVGA 400w N1, though I've heard mixed reviews.

Cheers!

Solution
Thanks for pointing that out. Did some research and noticing that the III is outsourced. Do you know if it is still group regulated or dc to dc? Ordered yesterday unknowingly, so I'm sure it'll be fine for this guy's ancient PC.

It has independent regulation, but S12II beats it in every other category and is an overall superior product. Still, the 3 should be better than the EVGA unit you were considering.

The biggest problem with the s12III (3) is that it's new, we haven't seen many tests, its build quality is suspect, and it's outsourced to an outfit with a mixed history. But that doesn't automatically mean it's all bad. It seems like a decent fit for your purposes.

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
The problem with HP's is the PSU is usually proprietary.
Which exact model is it?

It's a DC7900, full sized desktop case. I tested it with an old Corsair TX series PSU that I have and it fired right up. The form factor doesnt look like anything unique either, so I don't think the PSU is proprietary.

The S12II is as reliable as they come and gets my recommendation as well, but unit the OP linked to is actually the new S12III (3). They are easy to confuse.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to the S12III. The available data on it is pretty limited, However, I would take it over the EVGA N1.

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
The S12II is as reliable as they come and gets my recommendation as well, but unit the OP linked to is actually the new S12III (3). They are easy to confuse.

Thanks for pointing that out. Did some research and noticing that the III is outsourced. Do you know if it is still group regulated or dc to dc? Ordered yesterday unknowingly, so I'm sure it'll be fine for this guy's ancient PC.

It has independent regulation, but S12II beats it in every other category and is an overall superior product. Still, the 3 should be better than the EVGA unit you were considering.

The biggest problem with the s12III (3) is that it's new, we haven't seen many tests, its build quality is suspect, and it's outsourced to an outfit with a mixed history. But that doesn't automatically mean it's all bad. It seems like a decent fit for your purposes.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS