Question Need Build Advice: Gaming/AI/Editing PC

isabasu

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of putting together a PC build primarily aimed at gaming, AI tasks such as image/video generation and local LLMs, and some light video editing for my hobby projects. After spending some time researching components and considering my needs, I've compiled a build list which you can find here.

However, before I pull the trigger on purchasing these components, I wanted to reach out to the community here at Tom's Hardware for some feedback and advice. One crucial aspect for me is ensuring the system operates quietly, as I prefer to have a peaceful environment when working or gaming.

Here's a breakdown of what I've chosen:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER VENTUS 3X OC
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Case: NZXT H9 All white
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

--> Link to build

Please note that I don't really know whether these components are working in harmony together. I just did a little research here at the forum and elsewhere about these individual parts. I'm not sure about the GPU and whether the one I picked is actually a good RTX 4080 S.

Some additional info:
  • The build should be quiet (important to me)
  • Overclocking isn't really important (I never did that in the past, so I don't think I will start now. Wouldn't even know how...)
  • SLI/Crossfire: Never considered it in the past and I don't think I would start now. Couldn't afford it anyway :p

Furthermore, I'm curious if there are any other optimizations I could make to enhance the overall performance and efficiency of the build, considering its intended usage for gaming, AI tasks, and light video editing.

I appreciate any insights, recommendations, or personal experiences you can share to help me refine this build and ensure it meets my requirements.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Your build looks good as is. I do want to point out that noise is a subjective thing/topic, some people can hear the ticking of the motor in a fan while some don't. You could swap out the fans for the likes of Noctua or Be Quiet! Lastly, multi GPU setups are a thing of the past...and moot to be honest.

Reactions: isabasu
Here is the list:

CPU: Intel i7-14700K 20C/28T (₣409 @ digitec)
CPU Cooler: DeepCool AK620 (₣66 @ digitec)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 Gaming X (₣146 @ digitec)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000CL40 64GB(2x32GB) (₣193 @ digitec)
Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB (₣127 @ digitec)
Video Card: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 24GB (₣1,561 @ digitec)
Case: Fractal Pop XL Silent (₣87 @ digitec)
Power Supply: Corsair RX1000M (₣169 @ digitec)

Total: ₣2,758

All high quality components.

Crazy increase in performance for just 10% bump in price. A good 60%+ performance bump CPU + GPU combined. That 14700K outperforms 7800X3D by a decent 15-20% margin in productive workload while not much worse in gaming. And the RTX4090 is a good 40%+ improvement over RTX4080S just in games while having a much greater improvement in productive work.

I highly recommend spending a bit extra to get this huge performance gain. That be Absolutely Worth It.

That is if you absolutely need you PC now as your previous PC failed or something.

If not I Extremely highly recommend you to hold off for now. As huge generational leap is coming with RTX5000 series and similar crazy leap(70% + on RTX5090 over RTX4090) is expected on Next gen AMD CPUs as well. They are less than a year away. Expected by end of this year. It be great if you plan your build after their release.

isabasu

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
That is if you absolutely need you PC now as your previous PC failed or something.

If not I Extremely highly recommend you to hold off for now. As huge generational leap is coming with RTX5000 series and similar crazy leap(70% + on RTX5090 over RTX4090) is expected on Next gen AMD CPUs as well. They are less than a year away. Expected by end of this year. It be great if you plan your build after their release.
Thanks for this advice. I didn't know... but yeah, I will postpone it then.

My current setup is good enough for gaming at the moment, but a little slow for AI stuff (work...). It has an RTX 2070 SUPER and an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.

Thanks for the alternative list!

isabasu

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Your build looks good as is. I do want to point out that noise is a subjective thing/topic, some people can hear the ticking of the motor in a fan while some don't. You could swap out the fans for the likes of Noctua or Be Quiet! Lastly, multi GPU setups are a thing of the past...and moot to be honest.
Hi Lutfij

Thanks for your response. I will definitely check out the Noctua/be quiet fans

Thanks for this advice. I didn't know... but yeah, I will postpone it then.

My current setup is good enough for gaming at the moment, but a little slow for AI stuff (work...). It has an RTX 2070 SUPER and an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.

Thanks for the alternative list!
You are most welcome.

Yes it be better if you hold off for now.

That combo you already have is decent. Yes bit slow but will hold out for another year.