Question Need Build Recommendations for Work

architeKCt

Honorable
Nov 2, 2014
i'm an architect and i do a lot of work in revit/sketchup. but i also do a lot on the visualization side, so i do work in lumion/twinmotion/enscape. i ALSO do a decent amount of video editing and virtual reality work, so i need a real powerhouse that will push all of this. my most recent laptop my employer got me is a bimbox with a 2080 super mobile gpu, i9-10850k cpu, 64gb of ram and a 2tb ssd. i think most of this is fine except for the 2080 especially with 30 series cards out. is there anything i should look at getting improved on this? and if i were to go with a desktop, how would you build that out?

Lutfij

Titan
Are you looking for a suggestion on upgrading your laptop or building a new desktop? There are sperate sections for those. Since you posted in the System's section, I'll address the latter.

I'd look at an AMD Threadripper build or the higher end AMD lineup from their Ryzen 9 series. You should be able to churn out some good work through them. You should stylize your follow up post with info asked of in this thread.

Reactions: architeKCt

kanewolf

Titan
i'm an architect and i do a lot of work in revit/sketchup. but i also do a lot on the visualization side, so i do work in lumion/twinmotion/enscape. i ALSO do a decent amount of video editing and virtual reality work, so i need a real powerhouse that will push all of this. my most recent laptop my employer got me is a bimbox with a 2080 super mobile gpu, i9-10850k cpu, 64gb of ram and a 2tb ssd. i think most of this is fine except for the 2080 especially with 30 series cards out. is there anything i should look at getting improved on this? and if i were to go with a desktop, how would you build that out?
Since you implied you had a laptop now, is that what you want, or do you want a conventional desktop ?

Reactions: architeKCt