Need cellular modem for laptop

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I need to find a cellular modem for a laptop that I can dail into and retreive information from remotely. Anybody know of a modem like this?

If an argument can't be settled in one or two paragraphs, perhaps you're anal and should just let it go...

irusty

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
I'm researching the same thing. The best option that I've found so far is "BroadbandAccess" from Verizon. They have a pc card (5220) that connects to their cell network. It's $80 per month. You can find out more info at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/broadband/index.jsp

I'd be interested if anyone here has used this service. My hope is to use it for a trip this summer from LA up to Vancouver (via Yosemite).

Is this a good choice?

savethesquirrels

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
For a brief spit the company I work for was going to retail sprint wireless services. I was told that the Sprint network is capable of 256Kbs - 512Kbs making it much faster than dial up. I know this was down, I dunno up. In a few years they said they could offer 1Mb and up eventually reaching an 11Mb network. It is much faster than dial up but I don't know about a 1Mb connection. A mobile T1?

-Faster, Better, Stronger ...mmm Cake
-Windows makes baby Jesus cry