[SOLVED] need clarification - Flex Mode

sure199416

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
i know 4 gb + 2 gb in dual channel is flex mode, for ram sizes

my question is mobo that have 6 slot like x58 3x 4gb and 3x 2gb in tripple channel is also flex mode?

Last edited:
Solution
No, that is simply triple channel, so long as the three 4GB sticks and the three 2GB sticks are all in the correct slots for triple channel operation AND if the board supports triple channel AND if you have all four DIMMs that are 4GB in one channel per the population rules and all three DIMMs in another channel per the population rules. The population diagram in the motherboard user manual should outline which DIMM slots are for a given channel. Memory modules do not have to ALL be the same size, for multi channel operation, so long as all of the sticks IN a channel are the same size. If they are not, THEN Flex mode may come into play.

For example. If you had a dual channel motherboard with 8GB in the A2 slot and 4GB in the B2 slot...
No, that is simply triple channel, so long as the three 4GB sticks and the three 2GB sticks are all in the correct slots for triple channel operation AND if the board supports triple channel AND if you have all four DIMMs that are 4GB in one channel per the population rules and all three DIMMs in another channel per the population rules. The population diagram in the motherboard user manual should outline which DIMM slots are for a given channel. Memory modules do not have to ALL be the same size, for multi channel operation, so long as all of the sticks IN a channel are the same size. If they are not, THEN Flex mode may come into play.

For example. If you had a dual channel motherboard with 8GB in the A2 slot and 4GB in the B2 slot, IF that board supports Flex mode it would run 4GB from each slot in dual channel and the remaining 4GB from the 8GB stick in single channel. Hence, FLEX mode. If all DIMMs in a given channel are the same size, there is no NEED for Flex model, so multi channel, whether dual, triple, quad, etc. will be in play instead.

Reactions: sure199416
Solution

sure199416

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019

For example. If you had a dual channel motherboard with 8GB in the A2 slot and 4GB in the B2 slot, IF that board supports Flex mode it would run 4GB from each slot in dual channel and the remaining 4GB from the 8GB stick in single channel. Hence, FLEX mode. If all DIMMs in a given channel are the same size, there is no NEED for Flex model, so multi channel, whether dual, triple, quad, etc. will be in play instead.
cpu-z can tell its flex mode or not? thanks for info i think everything will be fine because size is balanced and i will put rams in correct dimm

I don't think CPU-Z will tell you it's Flex mode, because part of it will be multi channel and will likely say so. I've never seen CPU-Z list flex mode because some part of one of the DIMMs is already going to be listed in dual channel mode. I could be wrong, but I've never seen it.

Reactions: sure199416

TRENDING THREADS