[SOLVED] Need clarification on previously bent CPU pins ?

Aug 13, 2021
I have bent pins on my CPU, the pc is on and working fine after I bent them back into place enough to fit them into the AM4 slot on my motherboad (AMD needless to say at this point)

I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with my PC now... the PC is booting, I'm gaming just fine, good temps. Playing Valhalla as a matter of fact, nothing out of the ordinary that I've noticed on RTSS. BUT a problem has arisen.

Every once in a while went I restart the PC sometimes it will hang on a no post, no image whatsoever, I haven't checked the LED but I just have that paranoia that it's the CPU LED that's lit up... when I do a hard restart, which in my terms is holding down the power button and waiting a few to press it to turn on... the PC turns on just fine and dandy.
Also my A2 and B2 slots on my motherboard do not work, but if I recollect correctly, those slots completely went kaputz a while before my CPU change ( of which I bent pins on when installing the cooler)

I have noticed, as far as I can tell at least- when this issue happens, it's because I used the shut down options within Windows (Win11 for me) so the main question is

Am I being paranoid about my CPU? Could it be just a Software problem?
Could it be my PSU perhaps?

and a separate question to put my mind at rest, not applicable if you think it's my CPU. If my CPU is booting the PC and everything is working, then my CPU is fine, right?

I'm not sure if my specs are really needed for this but if they are, just let me know in the comments and I'll edit this post and add the specs under this.

Solution
I have bent pins on my CPU, the pc is on and working fine after I bent them back into place enough to fit them into the AM4 slot on my motherboad (AMD needless to say at this point)

I'm just wondering if there would be any problems with my PC now... the PC is booting, I'm gaming just fine, good temps. Playing Valhalla as a matter of fact, nothing out of the ordinary that I've noticed on RTSS. BUT a problem has arisen.

Every once in a while went I restart the PC sometimes it will hang on a no post, no image whatsoever, I haven't checked the LED but I just have that paranoia that it's the CPU LED that's lit up... when I do a hard restart, which in my terms is holding down the power button and waiting a few to press it to turn on...

Every once in a while went I restart the PC sometimes it will hang on a no post, no image whatsoever, I haven't checked the LED but I just have that paranoia that it's the CPU LED that's lit up... when I do a hard restart, which in my terms is holding down the power button and waiting a few to press it to turn on... the PC turns on just fine and dandy.
Also my A2 and B2 slots on my motherboard do not work, but if I recollect correctly, those slots completely went kaputz a while before my CPU change ( of which I bent pins on when installing the cooler)

I have noticed, as far as I can tell at least- when this issue happens, it's because I used the shut down options within Windows (Win11 for me) so the main question is

Am I being paranoid about my CPU? Could it be just a Software problem?
Could it be my PSU perhaps?

and a separate question to put my mind at rest, not applicable if you think it's my CPU. If my CPU is booting the PC and everything is working, then my CPU is fine, right?

I'm not sure if my specs are really needed for this but if they are, just let me know in the comments and I'll edit this post and add the specs under this.
I'd suggest doing a CMOS reset, especially if you never have.

I seriously doubt it's due to the bent pins but whatever caused your memory A2 and B2 to not function might be troubling.

You might open a command prompt with admin rights and do an SFC /SCANNOW to find and fix problems with windows system files.

If there's a deeper windows problem you can spend hours, or even days, running through the myriad of ways to fix things in Windows. I find it easier to do a repair install with in-place upgrade. That basically does an update install of Windows (even if the version you're on is the same) which saves all your installed apps, settings and passwords fixing only the system files, services or registry settings that may have gotten messed up along the way.

Solution
Aug 13, 2021
I'd suggest doing a CMOS reset, especially if you never have.

I seriously doubt it's due to the bent pins but whatever caused your memory A2 and B2 to not function might be troubling.

You might open a command prompt with admin rights and do an SFC /SCANNOW to find and fix problems with windows system files.

If there's a deeper windows problem you can spend hours, or even days, running through the myriad of ways to fix things in Windows. I find it easier to do a repair install with in-place upgrade. That basically does an update install of Windows (even if the version you're on is the same) which saves all your installed apps, settings and passwords fixing only the system files, services or registry settings that may have gotten messed up along the way.
I'll try that with Windows then yeah, then again this is a pre-release I'm running so it's not surprising if it is a windows error.
And regarding my RAM, do my DIMM slots sound more like a board fault to you though? It is afterall a practically dirt cheap B450m Pro-VDH Max board... so it's not exactly the best of the best. And I do recall having to switch my RAM placement before I had this new CPU- just all of the sudden one morning my PC wouldn't post, I resat the RAM and nothing, I rearranged the RAM to the configuration that it is in now A1-B1 and it posted... haven't been able to use the "correct or preferred" slots since.

I figured ( and correct me if I'm wrong) if my computer is booting, RAM is being read in dual channel mode correctly (A1-B1), able to game very nicely at 4k with everything pushed to it's limits and then some... then my PC is essentially fine, or am I being naive about this?

EDITING THIS:
MS released a pre-release patch that fixed Windows start reliability

Last edited:
I'll try that with Windows then yeah, then again this is a pre-release I'm running so it's not surprising if it is a windows error.
And regarding my RAM, do my DIMM slots sound more like a board fault to you though? It is afterall a practically dirt cheap B450m Pro-VDH Max board... so it's not exactly the best of the best. And I do recall having to switch my RAM placement before I had this new CPU- just all of the sudden one morning my PC wouldn't post, I resat the RAM and nothing, I rearranged the RAM to the configuration that it is in now A1-B1 and it posted... haven't been able to use the "correct or preferred" slots since.

I figured ( and correct me if I'm wrong) if my computer is booting, RAM is being read in dual channel mode correctly (A1-B1), able to game very nicely at 4k with everything pushed to it's limits and then some... then my PC is essentially fine, or am I being naive about this?

EDITING THIS:
MS released a pre-release patch that fixed Windows start reliability
I must have missed that you're on Win11. I'm not sure whether they've got a process for upgrade installs to help fix windows issues.

Unfortunately, you're a guinea pig that's why they let you do the beta testing. You probably should go find some windows 11 forums to see what the community experience is right now. I tend to doubt it's the straightened pins causing your issues since if you got it installed in the socket at all the pins must be straight enough. But then, it would be nice to have as few variables as possible when beta testing.

Aug 13, 2021
I must have missed that you're on Win11. I'm not sure whether they've got a process for upgrade installs to help fix windows issues.

Unfortunately, you're a guinea pig that's why they let you do the beta testing. You probably should go find some windows 11 forums to see what the community experience is right now. I tend to doubt it's the straightened pins causing your issues since if you got it installed in the socket at all the pins must be straight enough. But then, it would be nice to have as few variables as possible when beta testing.
And regarding what I mentioned here- "I figured ( and correct me if I'm wrong) if my computer is booting, RAM is being read in dual channel mode correctly (A1-B1), able to game very nicely at 4k with everything pushed to it's limits and then some... then my PC is essentially fine, or am I being naive about this?"

Aug 13, 2021
You're not likely to get more advice past OS, without actual information about your PC.
I'm not sure that system specs are really needed to tell me whether or not my CPU is messing with my Dimm slots. Though the only piece of info that would be needed is my MB and I've already given that information. But thanks anyways.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm not sure that system specs are really needed to tell me whether or not my CPU is messing with my Dimm slots. Though the only piece of info that would be needed is my MB and I've already given that information. But thanks anyways.

So, you don't know what the problem is, but somehow you know the exact scope of the problem? A strange hill to die on, but it's your prerogative to resolve your PC's issues or not. Best of luck to you!

Aug 13, 2021
So, you don't know what the problem is, but somehow you know the exact scope of the problem? A strange hill to die on, but it's your prerogative to resolve your PC's issues or not. Best of luck to you!
R5 3600
MSI B450m PRO VDH Max
2x8 Gskill Ripjaw RAM
RTX 2080ti

I can assure you the answer to my problem whether or not I listed my specs remains the same, so if you're not going to actually be helpful, then why reply? Lose the snarkiness, it's very unbecoming given you're a moderator, its a strange hill to die on.

R5 3600
MSI B450m PRO VDH Max
2x8 Gskill Ripjaw RAM
RTX 2080ti

I can assure you the answer to my problem whether or not I listed my specs remains the same, so if you're not going to actually be helpful, then why reply? Lose the snarkiness, it's very unbecoming given you're a moderator, its a strange hill to die on.
OK. With running Win11 right now you're a Beta tester. I'm assuming you know that that means and have backup and recovery strategies to deal with the issues.

Things I'd try: do CMOS reset(s) and run ONLY in default BIOS settings. Re-install Win10 and try it a while, see if it's presenting the same problems for you. Run some memory diagnostics...Windows has one built in, just type Memory Diagnostics in Cortana search. Also get MemTest and any of several others. The diagnostics will take a while, it has to to test everything exhaustively enough to be meaningful.