[SOLVED] Need cloning software

Jan 10, 2021
Preface: Please ready my profile before chiding me for asking a question that could be answered by a Google search ;)

I need -- and quickly -- software that can clone the boot drive in a PC.

Now unless I'm mistaken, Windows 10 uses a pagefile (right?). And if that's the case, you can't make a TRUE clone while Windows is running (because said pagefile is in use). So I'm looking for something that boots into its own OS. I've been using Apricorn's EZ Gig, but it won't recognize my shiny new Sabrent USB cradle.

Many thanks in advance for your help!!

P.S. - If things have changed and one CAN make a true clone while Windows is running, feel free to enliven me (h/t Michael Scott)

Solution
P.S. - If things have changed and one CAN make a true clone while Windows is running, feel free to enliven me (h/t Michael Scott)
You can always disable the page file and reboot if that's something that troubles you.
In general the pagefile only has temporary files anyway that aren't really important.

Also take a look at all the hard drives you have, they often offer clone software on their webpages.
You can always disable the page file and reboot if that's something that troubles you.
In general the pagefile only has temporary files anyway that aren't really important.

Also take a look at all the hard drives you have, they often offer clone software on their webpages.

Reactions: OnceAComputerGuy
Solution
Jan 10, 2021

Thanks, Terry - Yeah, just spoke to a sales guy at Macrium, one of the recommendations from Nemesia above (couldn't talk to tech support because I'm not a customer yet.) He had no idea what a pagefile is, but he said cloning a boot drive will definitely work even though it's done while Windows is running. Guess I'll just have to try it then swap the current for the clone and see. Thanks!