Question Need cooler suggestions for case

Nov 18, 2019
I just built a PC with this case but it's overheating the CPU due to the bad air flow so i'm thinking i need a liquid cooler, but any suggestions are welcome.

Here's the case BTW.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075N132C7?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

I really don't know If the current front fans actually do anything cooling wise i assumed they did is why i bought the case as it came with pre-installed fans plus it has air holes on both the side and a slit at the bottom. I'll List the temps i've seen if that helps in anyone giving suggestions. But i really don't know what cooler i can use in this case the way it's set up.

Idle on startup: 36c-40c
While gaming: It gets close to 85c I even seen once it reach 94c.

I can run a test with and without the front panel and side panel and get back to this post tomorrow once I can set down and do so. I'm currently using the the Nvidia control panel to check in-game temps on both the CPU and GPU. The GPU so far seems fine only getting about 64c at worst playing outer worlds on high but i'm just making sure.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c4Xr6R

Currently what I have in my system.

I'm thinking of just buy a new case. I simply don't have faith in this one now and i could just resale to someone not doing a gaming build or something. Simply allowing my case to breath with the side off has got me this.

View: https://i.imgur.com/CGLQGiw.jpg

The new case i'm thinking of replacing it with it this btw.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6S1B3Q?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

One final update: Turns out the front panel is the issue. My current temps after playing for close to 3 hours with it off. I still plan to buy a better cooler but perhaps the case isn't all bad. thanks everyone for helping me out. i really appreciate it.

View: https://i.imgur.com/kqOXdXq.jpg

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PC specs?

A liquid cooler will not fix a physical limitation such as bad case design. Cooling devices are dependent on good case airflow.
Hell, I believe AIOs are even more dependent on good case flow than air coolers; passive heatsink designs are a thing, after all.

the front panel can choke air flow even if they have holes on the side. that's why personally i still prefer full mesh front panel. btw how many fans you have on your case right now?

EDIT: so i look at coolermaster official site and that case only have one slot fan to exhaust heat from the case? that's bad. three fans intake that could create positive air pressure inside the case which can lead to increase ambient temperature inside the case.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
From a temp standpoint, liquid = air. A 140w CM Hyper212 evo gets exactly the same results as a Corsair H60 aio. The big twin towers get almost exactly the same results as most 240mm AIO's, depending on the efficiency of the cooler, 5°C ±.

6/10 issues are due to airflow, 3/10 are due to cooler choice, 1/10 is due to a combination of both.

Regardless of other posts, 1x exhaust fan isn't the issue. The fractal design meshify C is one of the best airflow cases around, 3x 120mm intakes and 1x 120mm exhaust.

What's going to be in the answer is exactly what's in the case. There's no mention of cpu or cooler, so Ryzen especially 3rd gen high end tend to run hotter at idle, many easily getting close to 40ish, especially paired with a lower ability cooler.

So without knowing what's being dealt with, any reply is simply supposition. It could be nothing more than simple paranoia that tightening down the cooler sufficiently will somehow hurt the cpu, or could be you've never optimized fan curves or are running OC on a stock cooler and jacked up only the cpu voltage and multiplier, could be any number of reasons for higher than normal accepted temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From a temp standpoint, liquid = air. A 140w CM Hyper212 evo gets exactly the same results as a Corsair H60 aio. The big twin towers get almost exactly the same results as most 240mm AIO's, depending on the efficiency of the cooler, 5°C ±.

6/10 issues are due to airflow, 3/10 are due to cooler choice, 1/10 is due to a combination of both.

Regardless of other posts, 1x exhaust fan isn't the issue. The fractal design meshify C is one of the best airflow cases around, 3x 120mm intakes and 1x 120mm exhaust.

What's going to be in the answer is exactly what's in the case. There's no mention of cpu or cooler, so Ryzen especially 3rd gen high end tend to run hotter at idle, many easily getting close to 40ish, especially paired with a lower ability cooler.

So without knowing what's being dealt with, any reply is simply supposition. It could be nothing more than simple paranoia that tightening down the cooler sufficiently will somehow hurt the cpu, or could be you've never optimized fan curves or are running OC on a stock cooler and jacked up only the cpu voltage and multiplier, could be any number of reasons for higher than normal accepted temps.
LOL!
Posting in the wrong thread... you're clearly drunk.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Umm how is it the wrong thread?
Op says he has high temps, so should get a liquid cooler. Ok, I answered that. Doesn't necessarily need a liquid cooler because it's generally the same thing as air
Ops case has 4 fans as intakes and a single 120mm exhaust, ok, answered that. Not an airflow issue apart from being somewhat closed off, still should have moderate airflow.
Nowhere does op say what cpu, answered that. If it's a Ryzen they can easily idle at 40°C, if it's an intel, the 9700k/9900k can idle that high. Especially if using a cooler that's smaller than warranted for the application.

Saying 'I've got such and such case and my idle temps are high, and gaming temps are very high, but gpu runs cool' means nothing by itself and doesn't necessarily mean bad airflow or the need for a liquid cooler.

Drunk? Not even close.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Umm how is it the wrong thread?
Op says he has high temps, so should get a liquid cooler. Ok, I answered that. Doesn't necessarily need a liquid cooler because it's generally the same thing as air
Ops case has 4 fans as intakes and a single 120mm exhaust, ok, answered that. Not an airflow issue apart from being somewhat closed off, still should have moderate airflow.
Nowhere does op say what cpu, answered that. If it's a Ryzen they can easily idle at 40°C, if it's an intel, the 9700k/9900k can idle that high. Especially if using a cooler that's smaller than warranted for the application.

Saying 'I've got such and such case and my idle temps are high, and gaming temps are very high, but gpu runs cool' means nothing by itself and doesn't necessarily mean bad airflow or the need for a liquid cooler.

Drunk? Not even close.
It looked to me like you were quoting someone else from a completely different thread...
The OP has a 212 Evo and is considering a Corsair H60 - but they didn't mention any of their PC's specs, save for the case, of which they linked a Masterbox Pro 5 - but then you're posting about the Meshify C?
I'm not disagreeing with your post, but it just looked like it was aimed at someone else in a different thread.

I have one of these noctua fans in my cooler master hal x tower

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review,1.html

it has twin fans in the middle of the fins.

as you can see it is huge , if you went for one of these I think you could ignore liquid cooling , I have a total of 9 different fans and even with a game cranked up their is zero noise , if you could not see mobo lights you would not think it was on.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a mesh replacement for the front glass panel, that can be obtained far cheaper than replacing the entire case.

The hyper212 is decent, but still remains a budget cooler and any 120mm aio liquid cooler is going to achieve exactly the same results if nothing else is changed. The only way you'll see a real increase in performance by that swap is if the hyper212 is badly mounted and the new cooler is mounted properly.

My suggestion is simple. Replace the cooler with one more capable, such as the Scythe Fuma 2,NH-D15S, beQuiet Dark Rock 4 or Pro, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, NH-U12A, NH-U14, Cryorig H5 or R1 etc.
And get the mesh front replacement and let your case breath.

Nov 18, 2019
There's a mesh replacement for the front glass panel, that can be obtained far cheaper than replacing the entire case.

The hyper212 is decent, but still remains a budget cooler and any 120mm aio liquid cooler is going to achieve exactly the same results if nothing else is changed. The only way you'll see a real increase in performance by that swap is if the hyper212 is badly mounted and the new cooler is mounted properly.

My suggestion is simple. Replace the cooler with one more capable, such as the Scythe Fuma 2,NH-D15S, beQuiet Dark Rock 4 or Pro, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, NH-U12A, NH-U14, Cryorig H5 or R1 etc.
And get the mesh front replacement and let your case breath.

I don't even have the 212 i have the wrath spire. Could you please link me the mesh front? I can't even find it online. If i can put that in i'll just buy a aftermarket cooler. I'll also post the temps after 2 half hours of running my most demanding game i have. These are without the side glass panel btw. Also the only one there i could currently buy would be the Scythe Fuma 2. Do you think it'd be good enough?

View: https://i.imgur.com/CGLQGiw.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019
Are you using the stock cooler right now? I’d get something that blows from front to back and maybe a better exhaust fan since you only have one.

Yeah the stock one that comes with the 2600x. Someone said something about a mesh frontpanel i could buy but i cant find it.

Nov 18, 2019
I have one of these noctua fans in my cooler master hal x tower

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/noctua-nh-d15s-cpu-cooler-review,1.html

it has twin fans in the middle of the fins.

as you can see it is huge , if you went for one of these I think you could ignore liquid cooling , I have a total of 9 different fans and even with a game cranked up their is zero noise , if you could not see mobo lights you would not think it was on.

Bit pricey. My current budget is $100. Wouldn't i need a mounting bracket too? How much are those?

Nov 18, 2019
Reading reviews it seems the case may have problems pulling in air as well. I would try removing the front panel so the fans are unobstructed and see if that helps.

After removing the front panel my temps are looking real good actually after 3 hours it's average temp is 63c and peaking to 77c only for a few seconds on occasion, like for a second every 45 minutes. So yep the front panel will actually fix my issue once i replace it. although i do plan to still buy a better cooler as i hope to OC a little once my issue is fixed.

Yes you need a very good case cooling solution with the wraith spire as it blows air straight down and it is likely being recirculated in your case because of one exhaust fan. Even a evo 212 will make a huge difference IMO.

Nov 18, 2019
Yes you need a very good case cooling solution with the wraith spire as it blows air straight down and it is likely being recirculated in your case because of one exhaust fan. Even a evo 212 will make a huge difference IMO.

I'm actually shocked how much replacing the crappy front panel did. Never goes above 66c 99.9% of the time now.