[SOLVED] Need cooling help/advice. high temps all around.

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
PC3.jpg

My pc has:
i5 12600k with corsair h100i elite capellix
palit 3080ti
corsair 850tx psu
8tb of hard drive storage (2tb SSD / 1tb ssd / 1 tb hdd / 4tb hdd)
z690 ddr4 motherboard

4 front fans are intake and 4 top/back are exhaust

My entire pc heats up immensely when there's roughly 40%-50% GPU and %20-%30 CPU usage and it causes my cpu to thermal throttle and has shut down a few times because it was too hot.
At one point i have removed the glass from the sides and front and temps did get slightly better but it's not a good idea to leave the panels off for many reasons.

running games average temps.
cpu 90C-92C
GPU 70C-80C
GPU memory 70C-80C
GPU hotspot 75C-85C

have I wired something wrong? is it down to the case or the cheap fans in the front?
what can I do to get my pc to run cooler?

Amazon link I bought the pc case from: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5M5YY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Solution
The only problem with the Thermaltake core p8 is how are you meant to power 18 fans. The Corsair commander core only allows for 6 and there are limited connections on the motherboard so you can only have 2 connected.
That chassis is intended for custom liquid anyways - either the front or side is going to accommodate a pump+reservoir combo, pump and res(separate), or one of those distro plates.
The rest can be for fans, but it's not like they all need to be filled up - more fans isn't more better.
So I guess 2 commanders for a P8.

I suppose Phanteks' Enthoo Pro 2 and Enthoo 719 are right up your alley.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used). History of heavy gaming or application use? Mining perhaps?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

8 fans: which fans are intake and which fans are exhaust?

My thought is that there is an airflow problem - some bottleneck that is reducing the airflow.

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used). History of heavy gaming or application use? Mining perhaps?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

8 fans: which fans are intake and which fans are exhaust?

My thought is that there is an airflow problem - some bottleneck that is reducing the airflow.
I have updated the question/post now with some more info

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu is fine. Cpu, not so much. With that layout, the cpu cooler probably isn't getting enough fresh air when you're playing games. Points to weak front intake.
How long have you had this PC?
Are you using the LGA 1700 kit for the cpu cooler?

None of the temperatures you've posted should trigger shut offs - the cause may be another part. FYI, the thermal shut off for some of these parts:
Cpu: 100C. Check each core, not the average.
Gpu core: 91C
Gpu hotspot: 110C
Gpu memory: 105C
Motherboard and Gpu VRM are both 120C, I think.

what can I do to get my pc to run cooler?
Doing away with the glass panel at the front just to see what happens would be my first suggestion...

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
Gpu is fine. Cpu, not so much. With that layout, the cpu cooler probably isn't getting enough fresh air when you're playing games. Points to weak front intake.
How long have you had this PC?
Are you using the LGA 1700 kit for the cpu cooler?

None of the temperatures you've posted should trigger shut offs - the cause may be another part. FYI, the thermal shut off for some of these parts:
Cpu: 100C. Check each core, not the average.
Gpu core: 91C
Gpu hotspot: 110C
Gpu memory: 105C
Motherboard and Gpu VRM are both 120C, I think.

Doing away with the glass panel at the front just to see what happens would be my first suggestion...
the corsair h100i elite capellix came with the lga 1700 kit so I used that
with the exception of hard drives and ram everything else is roughly 1 year old.
i will take the front panel off and test the temps but because it sits under a desk there is a high chance stuff will make contact with the exposed fans and damage them.
i have tried moving the PC around to different places for a few days but there was no difference in temps so being under the desk wasn't a factor for low airflow and the back of the desk is open so air can flow through easly

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
i ran a test for cpu and gpu called fur mark for 10 minutes
front on :
after 10 seconds CPU went straight up to 100C and thermal throttled
all GPU temps between 70C-80C
front off:
CPU 95C-99C almost thermal throttled
all GPU temps between 70C-80C

for both coolant temp rose to 48C almost causing icue to shut the pc down(max coolant temp 50C)

is there any super high flow fans I could buy or is it better to just buy a new case with more fan slots in it?

My entire pc heats up immensely when there's roughly 40%-50% GPU and %20-%30 CPU usage and it causes my cpu to thermal throttle and has shut down a few times because it was too hot.
At one point i have removed the glass from the sides and front and temps did get slightly better but it's not a good idea to leave the panels off for many reasons.
Try this first: manually set all of your case fans, AIO pump and fans, and GPU fans to 100 percent Maximum and see what temperatures you get. You fan speed curves may need adjustment and you won't know what your goal should be until you see what temperatures you get with everything at 100 percent. It probably would have been better getting a 360mm cooler but that's something to think about for the future.

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
Try this first: manually set all of your case fans, AIO pump and fans, and GPU fans to 100 percent Maximum and see what temperatures you get. You fan speed curves may need adjustment and you won't know what your goal should be until you see what temperatures you get with everything at 100 percent. It probably would have been better getting a 360mm cooler but that's something to think about for the future.
during the tests, all fans were at 100% but also the case I have doesn't support 360mm cooler.
there's only one spot it could fit a cooler and it was a 240mm at the top. for every other mounting point either the screw holes didn't line up with the radiator or It just couldn't physically fit

Reactions: dwd999

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
Why did you do that, and not the game(s)? It's not even the same kind of load - Furmark is generally worse than what a game will do; it's practically the gpu version of Prime 95.

Play your game with the front panel off - no Furmark.
one of the games I play is anno 1800.
CPU is usually 40%-50% and GPU is 100%
I used fur mark because i could adjust it and to only use 40%-50% CPU and 100% GPU..
it was to remove inconsistencies, make sure i get an even test every time , also it means I can just leave it running and there's no chance a random scenario happens causing one of my cities to die.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Furmark is a high, steady load. Games are variable. Furmark generates more heat, that's why the cpu temperatures got higher, even though you took the front panel off.

I tried to look up the specs for these preinstalled Spectrum fans on Gamemax's website, but didn't find the exact model.
The ones that were listed there aren't going to do well being positioned right behind a solid glass wall, but then again, many fans don't.

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
Furmark is a high, steady load. Games are variable. Furmark generates more heat, that's why the cpu temperatures got higher, even though you took the front panel off.

I tried to look up the specs for these preinstalled Spectrum fans on Gamemax's website, but didn't find the exact model.
The ones that were listed there aren't going to do well being positioned right behind a solid glass wall, but then again, many fans don't.
the cheap fans and the glass does nothing for airflow.
i thought about swapping the fans out but I don't think it would help much.
unless you have any other ideas, it seems like the only option is to upgrade the case but i have no idea of whats got good airflow or not.
do you have any suggestions for large cases with good airflow and as dwd999 suggested, include support for a 360mm radiator?

Edit:
one that apparently has good airflow is the Thermaltake core p8 but that seems like a bit of an overkill.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i thought about swapping the fans out but I don't think it would help much.
You're right, doing one or the other won't do much. You would have to both replace the fans and get rid of the glass panel.

"I have no idea of whats got good airflow or not."
E-Z mode: Meshed front and top panels. Or if the chassis doesn't have front ventilation, but at the side, that also works.
Solid panels will restrict a fair bit of airflow - or even recirculate warmed air - if you can't position the fans at least an inch/25mm away from the surface.

Does it have to be large? Large(r) isn't inherently better - at least, in the front; air has to travel further to get to the components that need it, giving more time for flow strength to decrease.

Edit:
one that apparently has good airflow is the Thermaltake core p8 but that seems like a bit of an overkill.
Doesn't look that much larger than your current one.
I can't deal with big ol' chassis like that anymore - my back doesn't like them when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
You're right, doing one or the other won't do much. You would have to both replace the fans and get rid of the glass panel.

"I have no idea of whats got good airflow or not."
E-Z mode: Meshed front and top panels. Or if the chassis doesn't have front ventilation, but at the side, that also works.
Solid panels will restrict a fair bit of airflow - or even recirculate warmed air - if you can't position the fans at least an inch/25mm away from the surface.

Does it have to be large? Large(r) isn't inherently better - at least, in the front; air has to travel further to get to the components that need it, giving more time for flow strength to decrease.

Edit:
Doesn't look that much larger than your current one.
I can't deal with big ol' chassis like that anymore - my back doesn't like them when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.
For me A bigger case means more can be added in future and has more space for water cooling or easier cabling .
The p8 allows you to be able to remove the glass and have an open case design and there is air coming in through the side also I have a friend that can laser cut some metal plates with holes to cover the front but allow airflow.

The only problem with the Thermaltake core p8 is how are you meant to power 18 fans. The Corsair commander core only allows for 6 and there are limited connections on the motherboard so you can only have 2 connected.
is there a special Corsair connector or something that can be used to connect all 18 fans?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That chassis is intended for custom liquid anyways - either the front or side is going to accommodate a pump+reservoir combo, pump and res(separate), or one of those distro plates.
The rest can be for fans, but it's not like they all need to be filled up - more fans isn't more better.

Solution

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021

I just looked at the Phanteks' Enthoo Pro 2 and it’s perfect for what I need airflow, no glass front, hard drive space, radiator space and more.
thanks for your help. I’m probably going to buy the Phanteks' Enthoo Pro 2 now. Before I do do you have any other suggestions for cases.

Last edited: