Question Need Diagnostics

custos7

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
The problem is about the laptop power socket disconnectivity->followed by adapter dying out->new adapter purchase->connectivity being fine for the first 4 minutes-> same socket disconnectivity occurring again.

I'm not sure what would be relevant to diagnostics here so I will be giving a bunch of details:

I have this 6+ years old laptop Samsung NP550P5C-S02TR. Had heating issues short after buying it and they were never resolved after a series of tech support trips.

Hard drive got replaced once 4 years ago.
I sent the laptop to a remote tech service due to a heating issue.
Battery got replaced twice, 2 and 4 years ago.
The adapter got replaced twice, 2 years ago and now.

Last year, the battery was semi-dead again, only charging up to 30%, and recently 18%. I have been using it like that since.
Last month(also summer heat season), I've started to use the laptop for 2-5 hours of gaming sessions, causing it to heat up for longer periods of time. Had two blue screens. I started using bottles of ice to keep the computer cool as the cooling pad wasn't enough. It worked great but I'm not sure if the precautions I took for keeping the ice-moisture away worked.
Last week, the charging socket started disconnecting much easier than before. I've been nudging the socket connection back in place to be able to keep using the laptop (Don't judge the procrastination, had no tech service and no internet where I was living at this point).
A few days ago, the adapter completely died. It stopped keeping the laptop power on and the green light power indicator on the adapter box wouldn't light up. So I ordered a new adapter.

This last purchase I think I got the compatibility right, the voltage and amperage values fit the online lists. The previous adapter was given to us by the tech service values seem same but the power cable for the previous adapter has no ampere value written on.

The purchase arrived and we plugged it in after checking the voltage values. It worked great and there was no connectivity issue. I especially loosened the socket and it still drew power fine. After a few minutes, however, the same disconnectivity issue started.

Both adapters:
Input 100-240v
Output 19v 4.74a
New adapter's cable says 10A on it.

I moved back home and the tech support here(home) are really bad. Got ideas? Suggestions? Questions for further diagnostics?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO, that laptop has seen better days. If anything that laptop is equipped with an Nvidia 650M and what I'm lead to believe is either you're taxing the laptop with games that need more oomph from the laptop(overall) or that you're settings are too high for the sort of specs on your laptop.

Have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date? For a laptop that is 6+ years old, not to mention one that's taxed with gaming, you should make sure that the laptop is internally serviced with the vents cleaned of any clog worthy dust/debris.

custos7

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
So what do you think has broken? Heat has always been issue and I'm prepared to let the laptop go this or next year but I want to emphasize that my immediate issue specifically is with the laptop not getting charged.

EU 4 I've been playing isn't a very taxing game. Last adapter (or power socket?) took years to die.

I have been using an air blower for the vents but I imagine that would only work for dust and not debris. The service here doesn't seem to know enough to open the laptop enough to take the debris out.

I'm considering to get a vacuum cooler to deal with the heat issue, but first I need to be able to use the laptop without worrying to need to pay for another adapter.

Edit: BIOS is updated

custos7

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Tech service found a tiny fracture on the power socket. I'd wager it happened due to dilation when I used the ice. Replacing the socket did the trick to get the laptop charging again.