Question Need expert help from memory guru please!!!

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I have a custom built pc with a Asus Tuf X299 Mark 2 that had two 8gb G-skill 3200mhz sticks of ram that is set to xmp in my bios with a xmp profile with timings set for the two 8gb sticks i belive. I tried adding two 16 gb of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz. Its not running at proper speed and the only slot its worked in arent the recommended ones. below are some pictures of my bios and Cpu-z and HWinfo64 to show you how the memory is running. I would really appreciate some step by step instructions to get this ram running correctly at the correct speed. Thank you

Bios
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As-F1kUKcKx2lAG5uNw6m4oFE9Jw

Hwinfo64
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As-F1kUKcKx2lATvED5TzEMpk06L
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As-F1kUKcKx2lAVw-YEFMnOe4cR5

You are attempting to run 3 different kits of RAM from different manufacturers. I am surprised the system boots at all as mixing kits is generally a NO NO. The system has defaulted to 2693 MHz and you would not attain the rated frequency of 3200MHz. You will have issues such as sudden reboots or shutdowns due to Latency differences.

To explain a little of why mixing kits is not a good idea. As manufacturers of RAM explain. Modules are binned after manufacturer to ensure matched compliance due to slight Latency/Density variations in the Silicon.
Here is an article on the subject worth reading: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Bear in mind that the official rated support for your CPU is 2666MHz so there is no guarantee your OC RAM at 3200MHz will work as it is up to the strength of the IMC on the chip.

The best way for trouble free and stable operation is to select a single kit of RAM the size and frequency your CPU and Motherboard support and selected from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.

Is there a need for 49GB? What do you use the system for?

Last edited:

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
You are attempting to run 3 different kits of RAM from different manufacturers. I am surprised the system boots at all as mixing kits is generally a NO NO. The system has defaulted to 2693 MHz and you would not attain the rated frequency of 3200MHz. You will have issues such as sudden reboots or shutdowns due to Latency differences.

To explain a little of why mixing kits is not a good idea. As manufacturers of RAM explain. Modules are binned after manufacturer to ensure matched compliance due to slight Latency/Density variations in the Silicon.
Here is an article on the subject worth reading: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Bear in mind that the official rated support for your CPU is 2666MHz so there is no guarantee your OC RAM at 3200MHz will work as it is up to the strength of the IMC on the chip.

The best way for trouble free and stable operation is to select a single kit of RAM the size and frequency your CPU and Motherboard support and selected from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work.

This is a hobby system. Just like there is no need for a 800hp car but people still have them right? i just have the system as a hobby and want to try to max things out if i can.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017

Its actually 2 kits. Originally i had the two 8gb and recently added the two 16gb. just trying to see if i can get it to work thats all. i know i can get all new ram in one kit and it will work.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

My only suggestion is to try increasing the ram voltage in the bios.
Sometimes that will work.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i definitely understand why i should install ram in the same kit im simply trying to see if i can get what i have to work for now. i mean it is working but i was wondering if i did certain things if i could get them to run at a better speed. i just recently realized there is a xmp ram profile which was made when i only had the two 8gb sticks so i just wanted to know what would be the best way to add the two 16gb sticks? should i just set it to auto and put the sticks in the recommended slots?

Anything faster than stock is technically overclocked.
XMP profiles are embedded in the ram sticks themselves.
They contain the settings of voltage, speed and cas that let that particular kit run at rated XMP speeds.
No doubt the data will be different for each kit.
Look to see the commonalities and explicitly set those up in the bios.
CPU-Z SPD tab should tell you.
In the process, give the voltage a touch more than the individual XMP profiles indicate.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
So for right now im shooting to get all 4 sticks of ram to be recognized correctly by my pc and have them running at the correct speed they are supposed to. I am not looking to overclock anything as of right now like i said i simply want my pc to recognize all 4 sticks of ram and have them run at 3200mhz like they are listed to be able to do right on the side of each stick. So like i said my issue is i have a custom built pc that came with the two 8gb sticks and is using the XMP profile in my bios that has the timings and all that. If all i want to do for now is get all four sticks of ram to be recognized by my PC correctly and run at the listed speed not overclock what would be my best way of going about it? Should i just install a set of two at a time and set the bios to auto instead of XMP? Also stick to the recommended configuration that my motherboard manual says for when i have two and then when i have four. If i do get everything to work in the recommended slots on auto should i just leave it like that or try to optimize it and try xmp?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

My only suggestion is to try increasing the ram voltage in the bios.
Sometimes that will work.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

This is my main issue i have a custom built pc with two sticks of 8gb 3200mhz G-Skill ram and the people who built the pc made a xmp profile for the ram in the bios which has timings and stuff. I have never messed with timings for ram in the bios so i need to know with me trying to add two more sticks of 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz what would be the best way to go about it? Do I remove all the ram and start off with the two 16gb Corsair sticks and place them where the motherboard manual suggests i install them and also change the bios to auto instead of xmp? Then if that works can i try to put the four sticks where the motherboard manual suggests i configure them and also put them all on auto. If i can get all four to work at the listed speed id be happy with that for now. Any suggestions on how i go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Since all 4 sticks are running, just not at your desired speeds, you must manually set things up in the bios.
Look at the CPU-Z SPD tab for each of your sticks.
You select the slot# for each.
Look at the top row which will have various frequencies. Look for 1600.
This is half of 3200 which is the full dual channel speed.
At the bottom is the voltage at which the ram needs to be used for that speed normally.
You might see 1.35v.
The bios settings must apply equally to all sticks so your task is to set the speed to 3200 and give a voltage sufficiently high to let the ram run at that 3200.
You may need 1.35v.
It would be ok to increase in small increments up to a top of about 1.44v.
If the timing numbers are wildly different between the two kits, I don't know what to do.
Take a guess as to what fits commonly between the two kits is what I would do.
Perhaps a ram OC expert can help, I most certainly am not the one.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
im honestly not trying to OC the ram i simply want to get all four sticks to be recognized and run at the correct speed i dont need anything to be overclocked as of right now. So i would just like to know the best method to get the ram to work at the correct speed and the pc reads the correct amount of gb.

Do i start off with placing the two 1 6gb in the configuration recommended in the motherboard manual and change the settings in the bios to auto instead of the xmp profile with timings for my original ram. After i get the computer working with those 2 sticks then put the other two 8gb sticks in the slots recommended by motherboard manual and put everything on auto. Will this work?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i really just want help to get at least the two 16gb sticks to work at correct speed. Right now clock speed is only 1066. should i just install the two 16gb sticks in the recommended slots and set the bios to auto?

I see. I've never done that honestly. How do I get these 4 sticks to work? Thank you for your time.
Reread my previous post.
You need to go into the bios and increase the voltage applied to the ram.
It will be more than 1.35v.
No guarantees that it will work.
If no joy, sell the ram and replace with a single kit.
Intel performance is not much dependent on ram speeds.
You are a bit lucky that it is working at all.
I might do nothing so long as it is stable.
Here is an older study. there is minimal effect from ram speed unless you are using integrated graphics:

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
i cant get the 4 sticks to stay running in the recommended configuration. i had to put them back to where i had them before which is in the last 4 slots. they work but not at correct speeds. i reset the xmp profile but still dont work. Im probably going to just need to get a new kit of ram . I just dont get why even when i just install the two 16gb sticks which came together i cant get them to run at the 3200mhz that they are supposed to run at? i installed just the two 16 gb sticks in the recommended slots and reset the xmp profiles and it still wont run at 3200mhz.