Need external wifi antenna to boost wifi signal for brand new HP Envy Windows 10 laptop

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
Hi -- I have a brand-spanking new HP Envy 17" with all the whistles and bells. I work online and remotely, so a powerful machine is a must. I am often in places where my connectivity is by wifi only. Prime example is this month: I am in a location that has community-wide wifi (available through subscription). My host provided me with this log-on, so that's what I've been using. However! The signal strength isn't strong enough for video conferencing. I can do browsing, and can even do Skype phone calls. But video conferencing with Adobe Connect is not an option. My host let me try his external wifi antenna. He installed the drivers and plugged it in. It has about a 30 ft cable, and is an indoor/outdoor device about the size of a hardback novel. When I try to get a signal with this device, the signal is actually WEAKER than with the internal Wifi!! (This device shows up as Wifi2 in my selection choices). -- I'm getting by for now with my limited capability, but I'll be leaving here soon and going to Panama for a couple months. And I'll be facing a similar situation there -- I'll need to rely on whatever wifi is available. I also have a Skyroam mobile Wifi, but that is also not giving me a strong enough signal for Adobe Connect video conferencing.

Any help will be appreciated. Please note: I am a tech idiot. I'm not joking even a little. Please talk to me like a complete beginner, because 99% of the time, that's exactly what I am. But my end goal is to get a strong enough signal to resume my Adobe Connect video conferencing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I travel for work, so whatever solution I find MUST be portable so that I can use it in multiple locations worldwide.

kanewolf

Titan
You won't see a signal strength from the device I listed. It is a wired ethernet connection to your device. You had some sort of USB with an external antenna. That is very different from what I linked. The typical reason that antennas on coax don't provide a benefit is that high quality coax is expensive, and the signal gained by the antenna is lost in the coax.

The unit I linked is a complete WIFI receiver in the unit. I don't know that it will improve anything, because WIFI is almost impossible to predict. BUT, because the radio signals are all contained in the unit, the distance from your computer to the receiver is not limited. You could put a unit like I showed on the roof top and not lose any performance because of distance to the computer.

LDPRICHARD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
@kanewolf -- Ok. How is this thing powered? I'll be traveling all over the world, and will have varying power sources everywhere. Example: I usually live in Beijing. The electrical service there is very different from the US. I'm in the US now, but will next be going to Panama. Luckily, their power is the same as the US.

Also, will this thing actually BE portable? Portability is a non-negotiable. (Like I said, I'm a tech idiot.)

kanewolf

Titan
The unit is powered by power over ethernet (POE) with a small transformer plugged into house mains. I have a similar engenius unit and the rating on the transformer is 100-240VAC 50/60Hz. Other than needing a plug adapter, it should work in most areas.

Portable? The body of the unit is about the size of a paperback book. The antennas are removable. I guess I saw this as a unit for use at a home or apartment. I would not use it in place of the built-in WIFI in all situations.

TRENDING THREADS