[SOLVED] Need feedback about fan placements/air flow and CPU temps

May 31, 2020
So recently i had a PC built for me and it works fine, but an issue i came across is that when i play games that are heavy on the CPU (like cod warzone) i get very high temps, when i was running my ram on 2666mhz the CPU temp could go up to 82-85 and sometimes even peak up to 90 for split seconds, after i lowered my ram to 2133mhz and moved my pc to a space with more airflow im now sitting on around 72-78, which feels fine but it can still sometimes spike to like 85-90, but the spikes are very brief and only last for like 1-2 seconds then go back to normal.

After doing some research i suspsect that the CPU fan could have been wrongly installed or something similar becuase my 3rd and 4th ram-slot arent recognized by the PC, which also is the reason im not getting dual memory. Apparently when installing the CPU fan you can tighten the screws too hard which makes the CPU not recognize the ram slots or something like that.

Im capable of doing things like installing fans, ssds or ram but im not confident enough to mess with the CPU/GPU since they are so pricey, so i was thinking about just getting 2 new fans for now. The 2 yellow marks on the picture are 2 open fan slots and the main question is should i let the fans blow air towards the CPU or out of the PC? keep in mind that the CPU is the only thing getting very warm, other things like the GPU have good temps despite being put under alot of pressure, also do you think this would lower the temp or would it barely be noticeable?
Im also worried that if i install a fan into the first yellow marker it will push the warm air from the CPU fan into the PC rather than it moving towards the exhaust, so if im installing a fan to blow towards the CPU, should i only install at the 2nd marker?

If i understand it correctly the CPU fan should also be on the right side rather than the left, i can only assume it was put on the left side because it would be in the way of the RAM , so i guess that the CPU fan not blowing air thru the mounting is the main reason it gets so warm.

(sorry about the poor picture, was in a rush) the CPU is an intel i7-7700k and the GPU is a RTX 2060
RSINxVB.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
1)Cable clutter needs to be cleaned up.
Get some zipties/cable ties and bind some of that mess together. Use the space behind the motherboard too.

2)Take the cpu cooler fan and move it to the other side of the heatsink, while mirroring the rear chassis fan.

3)Mount an exhaust fan where the left yellow bar is. Leave the right space empty.

4)Dual channel woes:
A: Dead ram slot/dead ram stick. Test one slot at a time and see which doesn't boot. As for the sticks, it's easy enough to try stick #1 in a working slot and then try #2 in that same slot.
B: Bent/broken socket pins. Remove the cpu cooler and the cpu, and check the motherboard socket for bent/broken pins. You might need a magnifying glass so you don't strain your eyes trying to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get some zipties/cable ties and bind some of that mess together. Use the space behind the motherboard too.

2)Take the cpu cooler fan and move it to the other side of the heatsink, while mirroring the rear chassis fan.

3)Mount an exhaust fan where the left yellow bar is. Leave the right space empty.

4)Dual channel woes:
A: Dead ram slot/dead ram stick. Test one slot at a time and see which doesn't boot. As for the sticks, it's easy enough to try stick #1 in a working slot and then try #2 in that same slot.
B: Bent/broken socket pins. Remove the cpu cooler and the cpu, and check the motherboard socket for bent/broken pins. You might need a magnifying glass so you don't strain your eyes trying to look at some 1000 gold pins bunched in a small area.

Solution
May 31, 2020

4)Dual channel woes:
B: Bent/broken socket pins. Remove the cpu cooler and the cpu, and check the motherboard socket for bent/broken pins. You might need a magnifying glass so you don't strain your eyes trying to look at some 1000 gold pins bunched in a small area.

Unfortunately i am unable to move the CPU fan to the other side of the heatsink because the RAM is blocking it, would you still suggest to put an exhaust fan on the left side or maybe even both?