Need feedback on my website

nebeno

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Looking for some feedback on the design and functionality of my website. The site is www.freuse.com. I'm shooting for simplicity, not having all the bells and whistles. I made it from scratch using PHP and HTML (and a little CSS) and running on a MySQL database. I know I have a couple kinks to work out now, but am looking for some fresh eyes to look over things. Thanks in advance for your help.

andywilliams38

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Look and design of your website would still work. It is the content of your website that is most important. Take care of it nicely and I hope your website will be a good experience for everyone visiting there.

andywilliams38

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

But sometimes the lack of colors does well than the abundance of it. While choosing colours one needs to be extremely careful because how the website is presented is also in a way reflection of yourself.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
looks nice I think , but I think a few colours under the name , in those rectangles would look good , strange , I have built a couple of websites in dreamweaver , and I havn't got a clue what php and my sql means

nebeno

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Thanks for checking out the site, and for the replies. I did keep the color scheme vary basic. I wanted the site to be very simple and wanted the design to emphasis that. Many classifieds sites I have looked at just have so much going on, it's annoying. I like the basic rawness of Craigslist (as do apparently a whole of other people, judging from it's popularity), but it's too messy. Of course I could add some splashes of color pretty easily. Any specific thoughts on where/what could be changed? And of course, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks agian.

tomvertommen

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
It would be nice to be able to sort on state and city by clicking on their column titles and I think it would look better if you used more screen space.

Looks very nice though

nebeno

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
oh, and for PHP and MySQL (if you hadn't already looked them up). MySQL is a database (which in my case, stores all the post information). PHP is a programming language which can interact with a database (and do lots of other neat tricks). So it is pretty much all html, just everything post related routes to and from the database (MySQL) using PHP. It's fun having that much power at your fingertips when designing a website, but it also isn't very forgiving (like most programming, one . or " out of place and everything fails). Hope the clarifies things.

andywilliams38

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

PHP is just getting popular these days for website desining. It is a coding that is embedded in HTML and SQL is a data base management system.

andywilliams38

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

I am pretty familiar with PHP but not really sure how CMS is used.