[SOLVED] Need feedback on new system build

taliesyn

Honorable
Apr 21, 2017
Hi -- I am building my second system; part of the build entails salvaging some older parts from a previous build (which will eventually get upgraded.

Here are the parts:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS WI FI
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8) DDR4-3200
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB (for operating system; will add storage from old system)
Asus GeForce GTX 970 4 GB STRIX (from my old system, will eventually replace)
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower case
XFX XTR 750 W 80+ Gold, modular PSU (from old system)
Noctua NH-125 55 CFM CPU cooler (from old system)

The reused components come from a 6 yr old build from which the MB died (Intel i7-4790 K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H BK MB).

Here is a link to the system I plan to build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Taliesyn/saved/3PFWbv

I listed the parts with PC Part Picker and am not finding anything incompatible. Can I get some feedback on this system? IN particular, should I anticipate any problems building this system? Ideally, I would like to build an "up and ready" system without having to update BIOS or anything like that. Also, should my old GPU work OK? Eventually, I will replace the GPU...please let me know if you have suggestions and/or improvements.

Thanks for your feedback.

Solution
All look good.

Just a note, your old cooler may not include the proper bracket to be used on a socket AM4 motherboard, so it may not fit without some modification. You of course can use the stock cooler if all else fails.

Parts list is private BTW.

taliesyn

Honorable
Apr 21, 2017
All look good.

Just a note, your old cooler may not include the proper bracket to be used on a socket AM4 motherboard, so it may not fit without some modification. You of course can use the stock cooler if all else fails.

Parts list is private BTW.
Thank you -- the list is no longer private (my bad, duh). Also, if the noctua cooler doesn't fit, I'll get another one unless the stock cooler seems sufficient.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Thank you -- the list is no longer private (my bad, duh). Also, if the noctua cooler doesn't fit, I'll get another one unless the stock cooler seems sufficient.
Stock cooler should be sufficient. You aren't going to get much of an overclock out of a 3600x even with a beefy cooler, and the stock cooler is the Wraith Spire which may not be very quiet compared to nocutua but is a decent cooler.

Reactions: taliesyn
You didn't specify what the system will be used for, but if gaming is a primary intention, it might be worth going with another higher-capacity SSD at a similar price. An Intel 660p, for example, doesn't perform too far behind a Samsung 970 Evo at most common real-world tasks, like loading games and applications. It only tends to fall significantly behind in tasks involving heavy, sustained writes, and that typically won't be a common usage scenario for most home users. More importantly, that drive gives you double the storage for around the same price, which would probably be more beneficial if you intend to install a collection of modern games to it. What kind of storage were you bringing over from the old system? Just hard drives?

Reactions: taliesyn

taliesyn

Honorable
Apr 21, 2017
You didn't specify what the system will be used for, but if gaming is a primary intention, it might be worth going with another higher-capacity SSD at a similar price. An Intel 660p, for example, doesn't perform too far behind a Samsung 970 Evo at most common real-world tasks, like loading games and applications. It only tends to fall significantly behind in tasks involving heavy, sustained writes, and that typically won't be a common usage scenario for most home users. More importantly, that drive gives you double the storage for around the same price, which would probably be more beneficial if you intend to install a collection of modern games to it. What kind of storage were you bringing over from the old system? Just hard drives?

Thank you for your suggestion. The SSD is primarily for the operating system but I might install some software on it for digital art (e.g., Corel Paint).

A couple of more questions:

1. This is the first time I will use M-2 form; however, I'm planning to add another SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) and SATA HD from my previous build. Those components are compatible with each other, yes?

2. Would I notice a significant difference if I upgraded my DIMMs to 3600 over 3200? The G Skill Trident Neos (3600) are only $10 more.

I really appreciate all the feedback; it's very helpful in helping me narrow my choices! :)

Last edited: