Need for a new PSU?

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
Hello!

My system (see specifications in the end) is not running at full potencial these days. Im an avid flightsimmer, but struggle to get smooth and good performance in Prepar3D v4. Now, I believe this has something to do with my system!

The i7-3770nonK + GTX 1080-combo might be a bottleneck to my system, but heres my question:
-I was told that my PSU, the Corsair CX 500M, was one of the cheapest and baddest in the category (bad capacitors)....

Now, will replacing the PSU to a better one, help stabilize and optimize my system? The guys I spoke to recommended Seasonic...

Thanks in advance! :)

Specifications:

*Corsair Carbide 300R Midi Tower OEM
*Corsair CX 500M, 500W PSU
*Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz
*Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU-cooler
*MSI B75MA-P45, S-1155, PC-REP
*Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 8GB KIT, CL9 x2
*MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
*WD Desktop Green 1TB
*Samsung EVO 500 GB
*Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB

Windows 10 Home 64bit, Creators Update

macky21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
It sounds like you're close to capacity on that 500w PSU - I would recommend bumping up to a 700+ PSU. Brand preference is up to you, but I've had good luck with Thermaltake PSUs

Also, nice avatar :p

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

TINY RICK!
Thats what Im thinking aswell! Is the Corsair AX´s good? :) Is swapping a PSU just plug and play? :)

WubbaLubbaDubbDubb!

What color is the label on that PSU? Green label CXm models have some issues. (Not capacitors, though. Your friend was mistaken there.) Grey label units are much better, and offer solid value for the money.

Is that an 8 GB kit (2x4GB) or a 2x8GB kit? If it's the former, you may be able to address the issue with more RAM. The recommended hardware for that sim includes 16 GB RAM.

macky21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

I haven't personally used a Corsair AX, but I haven't heard bad things. I typically read reviews of people who have purchased them on Newegg and Amazon. As far as replacement, yes, they are only plug and play :p No plug, no play

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Hello!
Its CX and M written in Green.
I have 2x8GB kits, times 2. It is 1333 MHz, so nothing spectacular. Have heard good stuff about the HyperFury X-RAMs. 16 GB of those are maybe better? Unfortunately, my MOBO (MSI B75MA-P45) only supports DDR3.

Cheers!

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Okay, thanks Macky! Ill do some more research! Haha, what if I wanna play with my PSU? :p

Cheers Mate! :)

How much RAM do you have in total, and how many sticks do you have installed? From what you've described thus far, the first post is ambiguous between two sticks of 4 GB each (8 GB total) and two sticks of 8GB each (16 GB total). This response indicates you have two kits of two sticks each, and each of those sticks is 8GB (32 GB total).

Regarding the Corsair AX series, it's good, but not much better than the RMi and RMx series. I'd choose the RM750x over any AX model. The AXi models are completely different.

If you want something cheaper, the Seasonic S12II is a solid option.

A new PSU will not resolve your issues.

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Hey!

Ur correct about the RAM, but it says 24 GB in Control Panel.

The option Im more willing to go for, is to swap out the mobo with an Asus Strix Z270F and then put an i7 7700K with 16 GB of Hyperfury RAM.

My PC is from 2013, and I have had 2 corrupted user profiles and several resets since then.

Thanks for your answer! :)

I have no idea how I was correct about the RAM. All I said is that your descriptions all conflicted with each other. Regarding your RAM setup, you still haven't said how many sticks of RAM you have. If you have 3 sticks of 8 GB, it could cause some issues with the memory bandwidth. If you have 2 sticks of 8 GB and 2 sticks of 4 GB, then you can have bandwidth issues depending on which slots each one is in. If you have 4 sticks of 8 GB, you have a dead stick in there. You should replace it.

Also, corrupted user profiles is usually a sign that the hard drive or SSD is bad. It can also mean you have a virus. That's probably where you should be looking. Your CPU is probably fine.

Olegil

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Hey!

Thanks for your patience, Im not good in this field. On my orderslist, it says the following: Crucial DDR3 1333MHz 8GB KIT, Kit w/two matched DDR3 4GB. I have added 2 more sticks since then (2x 8GB), giving me 24 GBs in total, according to Control Panel... There is 2 "high" ones, in slot 1 and 3, and 2 smaller sticks in 2 and 4....
(See the attached links for pictures)

How my RAMS-slots look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx2TDCcGZULZY2pHMXBmNjlqSk0/view?usp=sharing

This is the box for the extra RAM added: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx2TDCcGZULZZk9WQmxYYUdseTg/view?usp=sharing

My HDD is the WD Desktop Green 1TB
---This is prob. my issue, because the SSD from Samsung was added 3 months ago...

TRENDING THREADS