Need for Speed The Run (PC) - Starting Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Can anyone please help!

I've bought Need For Speed The Run for PC. I have a G27 Logitech steering wheel, keyboard, mouse. When starting the game, my car gets dropped into a crusher and Xbox or PS3 keys/buttons are shown to escape from car! I don't have those controllers. Which keyboard commands are the equivalent? I've already spoken to the NfS consumer help team, and they don't know! How did all you guys who are/were playing this game on PC get past this scene, so that one can actually start with the game? Thanx.

Rabok

Solution
Ok!! Found it !!!
I never give up, so after a couple of hours, i figured it!
So, you have :
X = enter
B = space
Y = shift (left worked fine for me) + enter
A = shift + space
Escaping at Las Vegas is quite hard....
Enjoy !!

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I'm at the same point. It's extremely annoying to get these little quicktime events - "Escape from the car!" with an "X" and a "B" in a button. Well, they're *not listed* under the keyboard controls at all.

Apparently according to the forums it's "Enter" and "Spacebar."

Make sure you have absolutely no other control in - it ignored my setting ("Keyboard") because I had a joystick (which I never use in a racing game) plugged in. And yes, quicktime events stink... still, enter, spacebar are what it turned into for me.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Went and bought (ugh!) a xbox 360 controller this afternoon, in an attempt to get past the first scene! Now I'm just hoping this will work! I did try the "Enter" "Spacebar" sequence, but no luck!

cptnjimusa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
You can get out of the crusher by switching to Keyboard controller dont worry once you get out you change back to Joystick or wheel drive. The way you get out is a combination of tapping on the Enter Key first then the Spacebar key then back to enter key. You may even use the left and right keys when getting the tape off but it starts with enter. I am not sure they were needed. Then hit the spacebar key to get free, once free hit the enter key constantly tapping to get out the sunroof. You then have to use them both as well as the arrows to get out over the wall of the crusher but you get plenty of times to figure it out. However I am now in Vegas stuck in another deal where it comes up and I have not figured out the keys needed to completely escape yet. I used the enter and spacebar to get loose then start running and instead of asking for X and B it goes to A then Y and I dont have a clue what that means on the keyboard other than they dang sure are not A and Y. Why the heck NFS released this as a PC game is beyond me they should have had all this worked out before ever rushing to release it before Christmas. If they do not provide a patch soon this will be my last EA and NFS purchase and I have all of them just about. My controller worked fine until this game so naturally I assumed it would work for this one. It also crashes because it was not made for a PC. EA has a lot of work yet to make this game work correctly. It is a shame the game has great graphics if you can play them..

BlackSheep73

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Ok!! Found it !!!
I never give up, so after a couple of hours, i figured it!
So, you have :
X = enter
B = space
Y = shift (left worked fine for me) + enter
A = shift + space
Escaping at Las Vegas is quite hard....
Enjoy !!

Solution

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This is one of the most pathetic things port-jobs I've ever heard of before. I don't know anything about the game itself, but dear god did they drop the ball on the port from the looks of it!

Undocumented key bindings for Xbox button prompts in game!?

Having to press TWO BUTTONS simultaneously for a QTE!?!?

I don't care how fun the game is, I'd refuse to by this on principal. If they aren't going to bother to port the game, why the hell should I bother to buy it?

Ang11

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hey guys I found a way to make buttons demanded items change to keyboard buttons items (INSTEAD OF X,A,B and Y; SPACE & ENTER & Right-Left Arrows) just download and install Origin (http://www.origin.com/download) and it will solve the problem.
You will feel better playing it. :lol:

~~~(__) 100% GUARRANTIED (__)~~~

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

One of the reasons I've actually found a little annoyance toward my trusty old PC and I've resorted to buying a PS3. Also, Blu-Ray.

vic1945

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
EA games can no longer be trusted as we can see, so instead of buying any of their future games delay the impulse to buy. Check the forums first and don't be the victim holding a useless game produced by dumb programmers, who pay the media big bucks to suck you in with rave reviews. Dishonesty is a crime but you wont find it in their rule book, they are far too clever with only one intention, your money first and lets talk later. Why for instance do you have to download NFS the run via the Origin server when you have purchased the game from a retail outlet, who the heck owns the game? Oh yeah, I forgot this company don't like their share holders getting screwed by pirated copies, fine, they screw us instead so either way the share holders keep this crap company afloat. Never again must we venture into a deal with our eyes shut, once bitten twice shy equals satisfaction Ea. Put that in your rule book.!!!

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Origin is a bit of a failure, to be honest, and the sooner EA realizes it and moves away from it, the better. They're losing customers due to the failure of Origin (like Games For Windows Live lost a lot) and it's going to really bite them in the ass. They should've stuck with Steam and never left, or just used a more secure version of EADM or something.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

I fully agree. Players should actually go out there and warn other gamers, wherever they can and wherever companies allow for players/customers to write comments on newly released games for sale, about the actual playability of this EA game. Who has ever heard of a PC game, sold and advertised specifically for the PC, that cannot be played/controlled on a PC without either trying numerous key combinations on a keyboard (none of which are either specified in the manual or on the game's controller setups) or having to buy a Xbox 360 or PS3 controller compatible with the PC? This is totally unacceptable. Our money is good enough, but once you've bought the game, it is actually useless without the purchase of additional controllers. The graphics may be good, but inherently any game is first and foremost about playability - otherwise you might just as well have bought a movie!

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Yeah, thanks blacksheep73, we'll try those combo's, and perhaps they'll work so that we can continue with the game. But what is this bullsh1t about having to use XBox controller in a PC game? Not merely an oversight from the programmers, but shows a complete lack of game testing before release - had to be released before Xmas in order to make tons of money for the shareholders, and so what if the game isn't actually fully playable on the PC! Unacceptable, I say! Let's boycott EA from here on!

xbx360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I just bought need for speed for my Xbox 360. In the opening scene the car is stuck in a compactor as mentioned above, but even if I press B on my controller, its not helping me escape. There is no response. I returned the CD once and got a brand new one. MY controller works fine otherwise (no problem with the B button). Please help, this is driving me insane!!!!

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

You need to press the B on your controller numerous times in extremely quick succession. Try it, and after a couple of tries you'll get it right. Remember this for some of the other key combo's, which it'll show you, as well. It does work - there's nothing wrong with the game, it's just the instruction manual that's absolutely useless!

xbx360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Rabok01 thank you for your help. I got it the later yesterday. The first CD was really not working, so with the second CD I probably gave up too soon out of frustration. Its works fab. Tx.
p.s.- what instruction manual? I didn't see anything -lol

vic1945

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I agree 100% that EA should be boycotted by pc owners. How many people are there like me who bought NFS Hot Pursuit, and cannot reinstall the game because of an activation period exceeded message when you type in the serial code. It makes no difference that you being the legal owner holding a valid serial number can not get further than this frustrating message, making your legal copy unplayable. It would be quite simple for Ea to rectify this error from their end but no such luck, you are treated as being an illegal owner. This is a smack in the face from a company we placed our trust in for a service, only to find your high expectations are nothing more than a damp squid. If for any reasons we need to be forewarned about a dodgy company then this is a good example as it gets, and respectfully we deserve better than what we are getting.

In NFS THE RUN we experience what you have correctly highlighted, a game rushed out for the Christmas market rather than for the pc car racing enthusiast loyal patronisation to EA. Scrooge could have done a better job of this considering the resources EA have at their finger tips, so why are we the pc gamers being treated so badly? No patches yet to bring this game up to play ability mode even though it's almost a month since it's release, and nothing in a way of an apology for selling a dud product. Given all this, EA needs a taste of it's own medicine, a total boycott along the lines that the pc is very much a vibrant community and you discount us at your peril.

vic1945

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
A brilliant car driving game to try is Test Drive Unlimited by Atari. This is the first edition released before Unlimited2, and it's breath taking with no nonsense driving at it's best. The in play action is fever pitch fulfilling loads of missions whilst avoiding collisions that puts the police on your tail, ensuring high speed chases that puts many other games to shame. Each mission you undertake can earn money rewards that can purchase new cars, clothes, houses and motor bikes, with the added inclusion to model your drivers facial appearance to your specific liking. The game is massive in content, honing your driving skills to the limits as you try to beat the set times for each mission you take on. The driving dynamics don't leave you feeling short either, it's so realistic you feel totally in charge with nothing to thwart your driving experience other than your own input. One of the beauties of the game is that you can choose whichever mission you want, the do not follow in sequence thus giving you more freedom to enjoy the game. The graphics are second to none, and the game play menus simply make this game your dreams come true.

Following my disappointment with EA you have to value what you like and dislike about a game, and my comment above is purely to identify what we expect but don't always get in a game. It's a benchmark that prepares us to wisely research not only the game company name but, the competency of that company to make a game that is both playable and good value.

I am a new puppy to this forum and every byte of information has been great, long live our originality and the help we generously share with each other.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
TDU 1 and also TDU 2 are both very nice driving games, though the competitions in TDU 2 can become a bit tedious, since many of them are the same. My biggest gripe against these games is that vehicle damage is visual only, and doesn't change driving dynamics. Also, in TDU 2, once you are chased by the police, the police vehicles and helicopters appear from nowhere and it's almost impossible to escape them, unless you do real bundu-bashing! A number of years ago Codemasters brought our Racing Driver 1 (superb), 2 (less perfect) and 3 (another brilliant game) where the car damage sustained was actually reflected in the way the cars behaved - quite realistically, I think. Although the scenery seemed to be represented by flat cardboard figures, the playability of the game was excellent. Another very nice racing game was Grid (also by Codemasters) with realistic driving and racing AND damage! In comparison, with F1 2010 and F1 2011 the damage engine has gone a bit over the top - unless you are one very careful driver, you won't finish the race with all 4 your wheels intact!

vic1945

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I came across a game called Nitonic Rush by Digipen for pc's, unfortunately the option controller is only set up for keyboard or the XB360 controller. I'm quite useless with either of these play modes, so I need you clever brain buffs to find me a solution whereby I could use my Microsoft f/b2 joy stick instead. The game was released in November 2011 and is getting great reviews, your help will be my comfort zone so thank you in advance.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Hi vic1945

Try and remap your joystick using software such as Xpadder. I'm not the clever one here, but got this info from another forum somewhere. All downloads are free..Links to the software shown below:

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/downloads/list
http://xpadder.com/

You can then remap whatever controller you have to either the keyboard or 360 control schemes.

I don't know whether this will help - I'm going to try using it (after downloading the free game) to remap my Logitech G27 to the keyboard.

Regards.

Rabok01

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Sorry, I've just seen that you have to purchase xpadder from the developer. Looks like it could be a worthwhile purchase though. However, also check whether there aren't "free" copies floating around the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.