Need Gateway Solo 9100 restoration CD

So I go dig this old laptop out of the closet so I could set it up as a
DVD playstation for the kids only to realize I no longer have the
restoration CD. In doing my research before attempting a complete
reformat of this thing, I see that people can not get the hardware DVD
working without drivers found on the restoration CD. So before I delve
into it too deeply, I thought I'd post here to see if someone has this
CD they wouldn't mind making a backup copy of for me or selling to me
straight out.

I did search the groups and the last messages I found on this topic
were posted back in 2002 and all the URL links given there no longer
work. TIA,

Thomas Dorris

If you can't find a copy of the disc out here, try looking around on
eBay. There are usually quite a few Gateway cds up for auction at any
given time.
JS

twdorris wrote:
> So I go dig this old laptop out of the closet so I could set it up as a
> DVD playstation for the kids only to realize I no longer have the
> restoration CD. In doing my research before attempting a complete
> reformat of this thing, I see that people can not get the hardware DVD
> working without drivers found on the restoration CD. So before I delve
> into it too deeply, I thought I'd post here to see if someone has this
> CD they wouldn't mind making a backup copy of for me or selling to me
> straight out.
>
> I did search the groups and the last messages I found on this topic
> were posted back in 2002 and all the URL links given there no longer
> work. TIA,
>
> Thomas Dorris

Thanks, Jeff. I did hit E-bay first, but after a couple days of
watching I only came up with one auction of a Solo 9100 that happened
to include the restoration CD with the sale. I e-mailed the guy to
offer $$ for a copy of the restoration CD, but he blew me off I guess.
Most of the "restoration CDs" I saw listed were generic boot/install
type disks marketted for a range of laptops. I have my doubts that
they will include the c-cube driver thing I expect I'll need.

Another option would be to find a currently working Solo 9100 and run
Driver Genius on it or something to pull out all the drivers currently
installed on that system, then copy to mine. That would work too if I
could locate a fully functional 9100...

I will keep my eye on e-bay for a while anyway because like you said,
stuff shows up on there from time to time. I also have one person that
responded to my post here in e-mail stating she may be able to dig up
her old restoration disc. I'll check in with her again this morning
to see if she had any luck.

Thanks again,

Thomas Dorris

Thought I'd update this. I have not heard back yet on the first person
that said she might have a copy, but I have heard from another person
now that might ship me a copy for minimal cost.

I have hit the Gateway UK site to download what I could find there.
There are posts in the groups that mentioned the UK site might have
more drivers than the US site. And, in fact, they do. But still not
the DVD drivers themselves. They do have the original DVD player
software, though. Which was a nice find.

Thomas Dorris

I have a tracking number for this CD coming to me now. Will update
this thread when it arrives to confirm whether it's the right CD or not
and whether it does allow me to get the DVD player working on this
laptop again. You know, just in case anyone actually cares. :)

Thomas Dorris

YES! Disk showed up today and worked like a charm. I now have DVDs
playing great (sans the audio which I need to track down next) on this
nice little Solo 9100.

Thomas Dorris