jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Okay this will get complicated I will try to explain this as best as I can. First let me lay some ground work. I built this pc years ago, I originally used an ssd with windows 10 but later on started using an NVME drive. I made the very common mistake of installing windows 10 on the NVME drive whilst the ssd was connected. As you're well aware, this results in the NVME being unable to handle the boot procedure of windows 10, relying on the SSD to boot into the NVME's Windows 10 environement because stuff gets written to the SSD instead of the NVME.

Well, a few days ago I used Snappy Driver to install drivers for "This PC" and it did not go well. After it was done rebooting, stuff like Logitech Gaming Software refused to work. The computer felt off, so I decided to restart the computer again, this resulted in a boot loop, I could not escape the Windows Recovery Environement. Snappy Driver failed to create a restore point, somehow I only had 1 restore point about a day earlier, that resulted in failure. Amongst fiddling with different solutions, I reconnected my SSD while the computer was off, when I turned the computer on I could smell something burning. The SSD died.

So here I am, I have 1 usb with Windows 10 Iso Burned onto it. I have 1 usb with an Emergency Windows 10 Enviroment called Hiren's Boot Disk, this has stuff like LazeSoft Recovery Suite, Partition Extender, stuff to try and get you out of this situation. None have worked however, its been about 3 days of me trying different solutions. Using this USB I can see all the files on my NVME, I am thinking to drag and drop the entire 500gbs onto my HDD. When I used the Windows 10 Iso to reinstall windows I get error 0x80300024. I already tried the cmd commands. Pressing the "Repair this PC" from the Windows 10 iso just results in the Blue Windows Recovery Environement, it doesn't help. I tried disabling Fast boot, enabling csm in the bios but I'm not sure I did a well enough job.

Please I need some real pro level help. Just to recap I face two issues, one my NVME has bad drivers installed - I can't post. Two, my NVME cannot boot windows as it doesn't have a bootloader / always relied on my SSD for booting which has now fried.

Edit: Obviously the NVME is very important to me, I don't want to lose system settings, files, preferences etc.

Last edited:
Please list full system specs.

I'm not sure, if your windows is recoverable.
You said, you used system restore and it failed. Correct? (before SSD burning fiasco)
I only had 1 restore point about a day earlier, that resulted in failure.

Get a new NVME drive. Install windows on it (single drive connected).
Connect old drive as secondary and recover your data.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayzofficial

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Please list full system specs.

I'm not sure, if your windows is recoverable.
You said, you used system restore and it failed. Correct? (before SSD burning fiasco)

Get a new NVME drive. Install windows on it (single drive connected).
Cpu is 2700x amd
Gpu is 460 amd
16gb ram
8tb hdd
500gb nvme
1000w psu
asrock phantom gaming mobo

A new NVME drive is quite drastic isn't it? I am on Windows 10 from the Hiren's Boot Disk and am able to open file explorer and navigate through my NVME.

asrock phantom gaming mobo
Which model?
A new NVME drive is quite drastic isn't it?
Your drive is quite full. There doesn't seem to be enough space to create another OS partition.

You could try creating bootloader on OS drive, boot from it and then use system restore.
But you said - previous system restore attempt failed. So system restore is of no use anymore.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Which model?

Your drive is quite full. There doesn't seem to be enough space to create another OS partition.

You could try creating bootloader on OS drive, boot from it and then use system restore.
But you said - previous system restore attempt failed. So system restore is of no use anymore.
I believe the Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 , the entry level motherboard. I updated its bios today to the latest if that helps.

You believe 60GB isn't enough? I was under the impression it was plenty, I could clear up another 50ish Gigs and attempt to reinstall windows, if thats what you'd like me to do.

Rbmdtby.jpg

I believe the Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 , the entry level motherboard.
Which one Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 ? X570 (3 variations), B550 (3variations), 520M ?
There are even more models.
You believe 60GB isn't enough? I was under the impression it was plenty, I could clear up another 50ish Gigs and attempt to reinstall windows, if thats what you'd like me to do.
Try shrinking C: partition and see, how much free space you can get.
It will probably be necessary to compact free space.
Create partition for new OS.
Place 500M EFI system partition at the end of the drive.
Install windows in new OS partition.

Last edited:

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Which one Asrock Phantom Gaming 4 ? X570 (3 variations), B550 (3variations), 520M ?
There are even more models.

Try shrinking C: partition and see, how much free space you can get.
It will probably be necessary to compact free space.
Create partition for new OS.
Place 500M EFI system partition at the end of the drive.
Install windows in new OS partition.
Hi I’m in deep trouble. The mobo is the x570 version I apologize. After freeing up some space, I remember deleting some old Radeon software, they were in the program files folder I believe. About a gig each. Anyways I had about 85 gigs available. However, literally every option results in a boot loop now, hirens boot loops, windows 10 iso installer boot loops. I don’t understand? Even if they were gpu drivers how is it affecting me booting other drives. I’m so hopeless, may I please add you on discord or something. I’ve never been this lost before I’m not even that much of a tech noob.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Get a new drive. NVME, SATA SSD, mechanical HDD. Doesn't matter.
Install windows on it (single drive connected).

You may want to disable A-XMP/DOCP, if ram overclocking is causing bootloops.
No I believe it’s the gpu causing boot loops. As you know, the 2700x does not have igpu. I will google and see how to manually install drivers but I don’t know if it’s possible without display. My ram is only 2400mhz. Any advice oh great one?

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
No I believe it’s the gpu causing boot loops. As you know, the 2700x does not have igpu. I will google and see how to manually install drivers but I don’t know if it’s possible without display. My ram is only 2400mhz. Any advice oh great one?
I’ve literally unplugged my hdd, fried ssd, and old nvme, I plugged a new m.2 sata btw.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Get a new drive. NVME, SATA SSD, mechanical HDD. Doesn't matter.
Install windows on it (single drive connected).

You may want to disable A-XMP/DOCP, if ram overclocking is causing bootloops.
My savior I have news. You were right all along, it was the ram. I am running on one stick now, I had mismatched ram. However, with a fresh sata m.2, windows refuses to install on it, citing “We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the setup log files.”

I know this m.2 is healthy, I had battlefield 2042 on it, formatted it, and it refuses to install a clean windows on it. It’s 120 gigs. Any help my sire? Please I beg.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Okay I had to open cmd during the windows install wizard and create a partition? Not really sure but it worked I guess? Not sure why the installer couldn’t do that, I literally hit format so it had a brand new clean drive to do whatever it wanted. Will update.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Have only single drive connected.
Clean the drive before installing windows on it.
Use diskpart clean method.
Make sure to clean the right drive (not USB flash drive).

ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg

Hello sir, I have great news. I am typing this on a fresh m.2 ssd with a clean install of windows 10. I am getting ready to drag my old NVME files to my HDD, then I will delete the driver folder. Then I will install fresh Windows on the NVME with nothing else plugged in and drag the folders from my HDD onto my NVME. How does that sound to you?

Then I will install fresh Windows on the NVME with nothing else plugged in and drag the folders from my HDD onto my NVME. How does that sound to you?
Depends on what folders you intend to move.
But, if you know, what you're doing, then it's probably fine.

You can move user documents, videos, pics, game library folder.
Apps will need to be reinstalled.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018

Thats unfortunate, I want it to be as if nothing ever changed. I'm currently downloading Veeam software, its like Macrium reflect. I in fact, don't know what I'm doing if you couldn't tell by now. What do you suggest?

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018

Wait I lied theres some software on my computer that is really really really hard to find and reinstall. How can fixing drivers be this hard? Please. Please God I need your help.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Last edited:
Are you trying to create bootloader on your old OS drive?
Can you show current screenshot from Disk Management?

Note in your last screenshot you have syntax error in bcdboot command.
You used "C:/windows"instead of "C:\windows". That's, why you got an error there.
Also - since old OS drive is E: (not C: ), bcdboot command should be:
bcdboot E:\windows /s H:

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018

You used "C:/windows"instead of "C:\windows". That's, why you got an error there.
Yes sir, I am going down the path of - create bootloader on NVME, boot solely from NVME and face the driver issue blue screen of death, install windows 10 media tool and try to get it to repair my drivers. (Even though I think I already had the tool tell me it couldn't repair drivers? Not sure) View: https://imgur.com/a/7WIrtfS

Again, disk 0 is an m.2 sata, disk 1is the good ol NVME that has bad drivers. I await your instruction, thanks again man I appreciate you.

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018

I have some interesting news for you, as you know, I'm using a fresh install of windows on a SATA m2 ssd, and I used to be able to see my NVME and access its contents. Well, I ran snappy driver again and manually created a restore point, everything went well and I can still use windows on the m.2 Sata but now my NVME does not show up in Disk management or File explorer. What do you think that means? The NVME drive is a Mushkin 500gb, so not a really well known brand. I download new drivers and the NVME gets disabled, could that have been the cause for all of this?

jayzofficial

Honorable
Feb 12, 2018
Probably means - snappy driver is messing up your nvme drivers.
Why do you insist on using that garbage?
Well mainly because device manager never manages to find anything, ever. What do you recommend? DriverEasy maybe? Anyways, Mushkin doesn't have drivers I checked their website. Shall I jump to the restore point and we can go from there?

Edit: Mushkins firmware software wasn't able to detect the drive either but kind of expected.

Last edited:
Well mainly because device manager never manages to find anything, ever. What do you recommend? DriverEasy maybe? Anyways, Mushkin doesn't have drivers I checked their website. Shall I jump to the restore point and we can go from there?

Edit: Mushkins firmware software wasn't able to detect the drive either but kind of expected.
HINT: Don't use 3rd party software to get your drivers. Go to the manufacturers site only.

Same with driver easy. They often bring issues with them.