need Graphics Card advice for dual 4k Monitor setup

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Greetings all,

I'd like to request some advice on graphics card(s) for a dual 4k monitor setup.

I currently have a Seiki 39 inch monitor that only does 4k resolution at 30 Hz. I intend to get another budget monitor that can do 4k resolution at 60 Hz (via display port) and run dual monitor setup (actually, I might hook up a third monitor at 1920x1200 as well). My current card does not have display port so I need to get a new card.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: If something is within budget now I'll take it, but if it takes Black Friday to drive something down to my budget range, I can wait too.

BUDGET RANGE: $150~$250 after rebate

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
* Primary Monitor = 4k @ 60Hz (display port)
* Secondary Monitor = 4k @ 30Hz (HDMI / DVI)
* potential Tertiary Monitor = 1920x1200 (HDMI / DVI / VGA)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
* Primary Monitor = RPGs and MMOs (eg Oblivion & WoW) on nice-ish settings (don't need the best), watching streamed movies, photoshop. anything else my eyes spend a long time staring at
* Secondary & Tertiary Monitors = many non-full-screen windows for chat rooms, email inbox, reference videos where quality isn't important, monitoring softwares, reference websites (wikis/blogs). Things I can steal a quick glance at while multi-tasking.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ASUS Geforce GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB (does not have display port, only support 4k @ 30Hz) and Cooler Master 900w PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
* CPU = Intel Core i7 920
* MoBo = ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
* Ram = 12GB
* Case = Cooler Master HAF 932
* Cooling = default fans / heatsinks + Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm for the CPU; willing to add/change fans if it helps, but not comfortable with liquid cooling.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I am famililar with newegg, amazon, ncix, but I'm fine with other online retailers as well.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
If I get a new card with a display port, should I just use that card to drive both (or 3) monitors? Or does it help performance to keep the current card for the secondary (and/or tertiary) monitor and have the new card be dedicated for the primary monitor?

Thanks!

Solution
I feel like running dual 4k monitors is going to take a heck of a lot more gpu horsepower than you can find in the $250 price range.

You would be looking at absolutely bleeding edge system to do that. You're looking at something in the neighborhood of 8 times as many pixels as 1080p. So I'd be thinking dual flagship cards as a starting point.

stokes1790

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I feel like running dual 4k monitors is going to take a heck of a lot more gpu horsepower than you can find in the $250 price range.

You would be looking at absolutely bleeding edge system to do that. You're looking at something in the neighborhood of 8 times as many pixels as 1080p. So I'd be thinking dual flagship cards as a starting point.

Solution

PanSola

Distinguished
May 1, 2009

Hmm, I haven't really tested games yet, but the current GTX 750 Ti seems to be doing an ok job driving the 4k 30Hz monitor plus the 1920x1200 monitor right now, so that's slightly more than 5 times 1080p in non-gaming usage.

I was naively hoping it might be possible to just add an independent card (not SLI/Crossfire) and split the load so each card is only responsible for the monitor connected to them, in which case my problem could be reduced to one new card for a 4k 60Hz monitor that can handle some gaming on nice-ish settings at a slightly higher price point... Too simple for life to just work out this way?

What if for games on the primary monitor I set them to run at full screen 1080p instead (still want the 4x pixel real estate for productivity tasks), would that lower the card requirement into my budget range?

jenojaxx

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I guess your setup it's more for productivity than gaming but a GTX760 should perform OK in games and has a DisplayPort for 4k 60hz , hdmi for 4k 30hz and 2 dvi's for additional monitors up to 2560*1600 60hz