[SOLVED] Need Graphics Card Recommendations

Apr 22, 2020
Hey everyone,
This question may seem super broad, and so if you need me to specify anything please let me know. I am looking to upgrade my Nvidia GTX 750 Ti. For all I know, it is a 6 pin connector. My power supply is 980W, but my biggest confusion comes in the 6 pin connector. The power supply has a 6 pin connector, but also has an extra 2 pins that aren't apart of the 6 pin connector. I guess its called a 6+2 pin connector? Either way, I wanted to know if this means I can buy an 8 pin connector, or if I have to stick with a 6 pin connector. Also, I would love some recommendations on what to upgrade to! Hopefully this wasn't too confusing XD

Solution
The power supply should be sufficient, its worked for multiple years and it also is 980 watt which can handle a good bit. On the processor side, where would I find the best prices for the i7 ? also, isn't it pretty difficult to change the processor (i.e I have to remove everything, including the motherboard, and replace it)

Its not about wattage, its about power regulation and cheap PSUs are terrible about it. Its up to you but plenty of people learn the hardway with blown PSUs, shorts on there system or even fires that going cheap has a price.

For the CPU, check eBay. Surprisingly enough it might be cheaper in some cases to buy an entire old HP, Dell etc type office PC with the CPU, take it out and put it in your...
Never heard of that brand of power supply and looking online it looks pretty low quality, and most likely is junk You might want to consider upgrading to something like a Corsair CX550 (grey and black label not the one with green) or CX550M.

As far as the 6+2, that is for using when your GPU requires a 8 pin.

Now to recommend a card, for a new card something like the 1650 Super. However what I would do with that system is look for something used like a RX580 or GTX1060.

Then I would try and find a used i5-4570 or 4590. If you can find a cheap i7 4770 that would be a good option as well. Don't spend more then 30-50 USD on an i5 and 70-90 USD on a i7. Past that it would be better to just start saving up for a new platform like a Ryzen.

Apr 22, 2020
Never heard of that brand of power supply and looking online it looks pretty low quality, and most likely is junk You might want to consider upgrading to something like a Corsair CX550 (grey and black label not the one with green) or CX550M.

As far as the 6+2, that is for using when your GPU requires a 8 pin.

Now to recommend a card, for a new card something like the 1650 Super. However what I would do with that system is look for something used like a RX580 or GTX1060.

Then I would try and find a used i5-4570 or 4590. If you can find a cheap i7 4770 that would be a good option as well. Don't spend more then 30-50 USD on an i5 and 70-90 USD on a i7. Past that it would be better to just start saving up for a new platform like a Ryzen.

The power supply should be sufficient, its worked for multiple years and it also is 980 watt which can handle a good bit. On the processor side, where would I find the best prices for the i7 ? also, isn't it pretty difficult to change the processor (i.e I have to remove everything, including the motherboard, and replace it)

Its not about wattage, its about power regulation and cheap PSUs are terrible about it. Its up to you but plenty of people learn the hardway with blown PSUs, shorts on there system or even fires that going cheap has a price.

For the CPU, check eBay. Surprisingly enough it might be cheaper in some cases to buy an entire old HP, Dell etc type office PC with the CPU, take it out and put it in your computer. I really recommend a new CPU, dual cores is very weak.

As far as swapping CPUs, its quite easy. You don't even have to remove the motherboard to do it. Power off the PC, flip the physical power switch on the back of the computer to off, unplug the computer, move it to a workplace that is convenient and then open up the side.

First thing you'll have to do is remove the CPU cooler, and CPU
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4vpkfYoII

Then you will install the new one, your motherboard wont have the little plastic bit that pops off since thats only there to protect the pins when no CPU is installed during shipping.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qczGR4KMnY

Finally you will need to apply thermal paste if you are reusing the old cooler, apply about a large rice grain-pea size amount) and put a cooler back on the CPU.

I would suggest you buy a cheap aftermarket cooler like the ARCTIC Alpine 12CO which are around 12 USD and they are better then the Intel ones. They come with pre-applied thermal paste so you dont have to worry about buying any then. They also install the same way as stock Intel ones so the video above will be similar.

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

For the CPU, check eBay. Surprisingly enough it might be cheaper in some cases to buy an entire old HP, Dell etc type office PC with the CPU, take it out and put it in your computer. I really recommend a new CPU, dual cores is very weak.

As far as swapping CPUs, its quite easy. You don't even have to remove the motherboard to do it. Power off the PC, flip the physical power switch on the back of the computer to off, unplug the computer, move it to a workplace that is convenient and then open up the side.

First thing you'll have to do is remove the CPU cooler, and CPU
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz4vpkfYoII

Then you will install the new one, your motherboard wont have the little plastic bit that pops off since thats only there to protect the pins when no CPU is installed during shipping.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qczGR4KMnY

Finally you will need to apply thermal paste if you are reusing the old cooler, apply about a large rice grain-pea size amount) and put a cooler back on the CPU.

I would suggest you buy a cheap aftermarket cooler like the ARCTIC Alpine 12CO which are around 12 USD and they are better then the Intel ones. They come with pre-applied thermal paste so you dont have to worry about buying any then. They also install the same way as stock Intel ones so the video above will be similar.

You are awesome man. My only last question, you said "buy it off ebay" but then, "buy it new" so which one should I do? I saw a few for about 110 dollars new (i7)

You are awesome man. My only last question, you said "buy it off ebay" but then, "buy it new" so which one should I do? I saw a few for about 110 dollars new (i7)

The socket you have is long discontinued (You have 1150 socket BTW) so I doubt any are new. As far as buying used eBay is just one place, you can also try Facebook Marketplace or even on here people sell old hardware.

Where did you find a new i7 for 110?

Apr 22, 2020
The socket you have is long discontinued (You have 1150 socket BTW) so I doubt any are new. As far as buying used eBay is just one place, you can also try Facebook Marketplace or even on here people sell old hardware.

Where did you find a new i7 for 110?

Socket where? Sorry, I am only mildly versed in computer language.

Apr 22, 2020
Basically socket refers to the physical dimensions of the CPU. There are other factors but that's the simple explanation. The 1150 was succeeded by the 1155 in 2015 so like I said the 1150 socket is long dead.

So how does that play into the purchase of my cpu? Can I still purchase any CPU, i.e the ones you recommended? I found i5 for 55 dollars

Apr 22, 2020
Any of the ones I recommended should work.

The best CPUs available for your socket would be the 4 core 8 thread i7-4790. i7's tend to be much mor expensive even used, so a i5-4590 or i5-4690 would be the next best choices.

I decided on the i5-4690 !! For the graphics card, GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB is what I have looked at, and I just want to make sure it will fit my motherboard. Can you tell me that info/where I can find it?

I just want to say that I am very close to my decision. I went with the i5-4690, the Artic fan you suggested, the corsair cx550, so now I am just waiting on the graphics card update! I am sitting at about 158 dollars without the card, so I am super optimistic!

I decided on the i5-4690 !! For the graphics card, GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB is what I have looked at, and I just want to make sure it will fit my motherboard. Can you tell me that info/where I can find it?

I just want to say that I am very close to my decision. I went with the i5-4690, the Artic fan you suggested, the corsair cx550, so now I am just waiting on the graphics card update! I am sitting at about 158 dollars without the card, so I am super optimistic!

Your motherboard will support the card, you just need a PCI Express 3 (PCIe3) X16 slot which your motherboard has.

The PCIe3 means the speed in which teh slot operates, and the X16 is the length of the slot. Graphics cards use X16 so you are good.