Need graphics card upgrade advise

sentis

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi guys,

I don't normally post queries on forums, but during my research, this forum and the helpful people that are part of it prompted me to post the question to help resolve my confusion.

I have an office computer using Intel i5 4th gen with Asus H97M-E motherboard, 8 gig ram (DDR3) and on-board graphics card, HD4600, and a 600-watt PSU (cooler master).

My PC is used primarily for work, which means I have a DVI to HDMI connector to my monitor (Asus V278H) and an HDMI connected to a Sony Bravia (720p) TV for watching youtube videos in background during work. I also have BBC iPlayer and KODI installed which both launch on the Bravia TV. So using the pc as a hybrid work/HTPC.

My PC lags a bit when I have several apps open, which I am assuming is due to Chrome always running and the HD4600 sharing my limited pool of RAM resources.

I need a budget upgrade to the video card, one which will fit my set up and does not break the bank. My requirements are as below:

1) Clear, crisp text.
2) Vivid colors for movies, youtube, pictures.
3) Easy extended display dual monitor setup.

I have shortlisted GTX730 and R7240, but don't know if there is a better alternative out there. Ideally, if there is a budget card for 4K hookup that would be cool too as I am planning on getting a 4K tv soon. Rx460 might serve the purpose but its expensive.

Suggestions for both, 4K capable and without graphics cards would be superb

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
An SSD will make your chrome/applications faster, a GPU will only help your FPS for gaming which you didn't mention you wanted.

For 4k you will need a GPU but it won't improve application (non gaming) performance.

Example: My 3rd gen i5 laptop w/ssd and hd 4000 runs just as good as my gaming pc on non gaming tasks because they both have SSDs. My other laptop with a regular HDD exhibits some of the traits you mentioned above.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
An SSD will make your chrome/applications faster, a GPU will only help your FPS for gaming which you didn't mention you wanted.

For 4k you will need a GPU but it won't improve application (non gaming) performance.

Example: My 3rd gen i5 laptop w/ssd and hd 4000 runs just as good as my gaming pc on non gaming tasks because they both have SSDs. My other laptop with a regular HDD exhibits some of the traits you mentioned above.

Solution

sentis

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
I don't game much, except - Diablo 3 occasionally. As for SSD, it's pretty expensive in my country, for example, a 128GB SSD costs $50/- and 128GB won't be near enough as my C/main drive, correct?

My thinking is, if the HD4600 is sharing my 8GB ram with the rest of the system, installing a discreet card won't free up those resources and make the PC comparatively faster over all? Am I totally wrong?

sentis

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Thank you for the update.

As for SSD, it's pretty expensive in my country, for example, a 128GB SSD costs $50/- and 128GB won't be near enough as my C/main drive, correct?

My thinking is, if the HD4600 is sharing my 8GB ram with the rest of the system, installing a discreet card won't free up those resources and make the PC comparatively faster over all? Am I totally wrong?

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
My i5 laptop with an SSD kills every non gaming task I throw at it and I mean kills it, it has a weaker GPU than what you have, it performs just as good as my gaming PC on non gaming tasks that has a fast GPU.

You are not freeing up performance getting a GPU, your CPU is not being held back at all by using on board graphics, it's a fast CPU no matter what.

You can do just OS and chrome on small SSD and games/videos/picture/music/whatever on your HDD.At that point you'll be able to completely clear your HDD and have it just for storage, you'll have more storage than ever.

sentis

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016

Thanks for the update, I will get a 250GB SSD for the OS and Chrome. What about 4K, any suggestions on a budget video card?

Thanks!