SPECS
CPU: Intel i7 3820 Link to parts
GPU: GTX 980
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE
Link
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 8gb x4 (32GB)
Samsung SSD 840 SSD
western digital 2tb

I have recently upgraded to a new cooler and bought a new M.2 intel SSD 6 660p 512gb. Link
But I noticed that this motherboard doesn't have support for this so I wonder if you guys can tell me what adapter should I buy for it because I cannot find anything about it online.

Solution
May work as a boot drive with adapter. Just saw a vid awhile back on these very forums with an older X58 booting to M.2 NVMe, P6T Deluxe(have on myself). I didnt believe it myself until I saw it. If it can, I would imagine X79 will as well.

USAFRet

Titan
I was planning on switching it with my 2tb hdd because its kind of old now and not working so well.
But how would it be possible to use it as a boot drive ?
On that ancient board, it is not.

A regular SATA III SSD will work, though.

Send the 660p back, and get a SATA III SSD, 2.5" format.
Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500. You'll not see any difference vs the Intel.

Notoriouss21

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Yes that's what im talking about, I was looking at these but I don't know anything if any of those will work. I read that some people get problems where the SSD does not appear in system with those adaptors
While I would recommend exchanging it for a SATA SSD, you could use an M.2 to SATA or M.2 to PCI-E adapter. I have no idea how these might impact performance.

Links provided only as examples.

-Wolf sends

May work as a boot drive with adapter. Just saw a vid awhile back on these very forums with an older X58 booting to M.2 NVMe, P6T Deluxe(have on myself). I didnt believe it myself until I saw it. If it can, I would imagine X79 will as well.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes that's what im talking about, I was looking at these but I don't know anything if any of those will work. I read that some people get problems where the SSD does not appear in system with those adaptors

All I can suggest is spending some time looking at reviews and reading some of the questions that are asked. If a lot of people are asking the same question, is that a problem with the unit or is it a common lack of knowledge? Look at the one-star and five-star reviews. Are they simple comments (Works as expected/Doesn't work) or do they go in-depth as to how it works or doesn't work? How do the reviews skew once you take those simple comments out?

-Wolf sends