[SOLVED] Need Guidance on Minecraft Server

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hello Folks,

I have been a "professional" game server host for the last two years. I have an official Minecraft network (with 4 servers hooked up to it) with spigot/bugee running great, loads of plugins and addons for each server, near 0 lag, no tick skips, everything is fine. However I run into issues when attempting to host Forge (modded) servers. Lag, Delays, and Ticks skips. I cannot seem to find to the root of the issue. I understand Forge Servers are going to use a lot of resources. I even went to lengths like building a dedicated system for the server. But is there no way to minimize this lag? Obviously the clear answer is get a better host system. What I currently run on the Forge Server Dedicated system is:
CPU: E3-1240
RAM: 2x8gb DDR3 1333 hmz
Storage: Single SanDisk 500 GB
Mobo: MSI z77 MPower
And connection speed is 200mbps down, 180mbps up.
I am running windows 10 home, as that is what I am most familiar with and most comfortable using.

I understand that simple "get better system" could minimize my issue but I am convinced my current system should run my Forge server with little to no issues. I have 12 GBs dedicated to the server and run nothing else besides core windows functions in the background. I was wondering, would I need to move to windows server? I know I might get small improvements moving to linux, but that will take some time for me. My modpack isn't really that intense either. Perhaps faster memory? Even higher clock speeds on the CPU? 4ghz+? Could anyone give me some advice? If this helps, the Forge version is 1.7.10. Everything and anything appreciated, thank you.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
It appears I have found the solution to my issues. It was an issue of believe it or not overallocation. I had 12GBs of memory allocated to my server because I'm running a somewhat intensive pack so I assumed I needed 12GBs. Turns out the server only uses around 4.5gbs at any given time regardless of what happening (apart from chunk generation) . During Java's garbage collection processes, it would have to cycle through an empty 7GBs of ram that stored nothing. This was abusing system resources. Allocating 5GBs has solved my issue of constant tick skipping.

TRENDING THREADS