[SOLVED] Need HD 4000 CPU Replacement for i7-6500u

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi guys, as the title says, I need to switch out the CPU that came in my old laptop with one that has HD 4000 graphics and at least 3.10 clock speed. I am giving it to my son to use for emulating retro games and I am hoping to be able to put Minecraft on it for him. The replacement will meet the minimum requirements. I am not worried about the actual process, I have torn laptops down before and this one is extremely easy for CPU replacement. My problem is I have been team red for years and I mainly stick to my desktop for all my office/gaming needs. So, not very familiar with Intel processors, especially notebook ones. I have dug and dug through intel's site and several forums and I cannot figure out what I could use to make the swap. Is it even posiible to switch them out? Someone told me the chip might be integrated into the mobo, which I don't wanna tear it all the way down if I can't take the chip out :( Thanks for your help!

Solution
Maybe, depends on the laptop.

Still if you are after Intel HD 4000, you already have something faster.

Intel HD520 (6th generation Intel) is faster than Intel HD 4000 (3rd generation Intel)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are certainly socketed Intel CPUs in laptops, just depends on the type of laptop.

Modular laptops tend towards business models, mobile workstations, and gaming laptops. But more recently, more and more come with the CPU soldered on, including AMD. How they get them ultra-thin.

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
Maybe, depends on the laptop.

Still if you are after Intel HD 4000, you already have something faster.

Intel HD520 (6th generation Intel) is faster than Intel HD 4000 (3rd generation Intel)
See this where I am having so many issues. Minecraft on Can I Run It, they are saying that the graphics are not up to spec. I know nothing about INTEL! and I am having issues finding the info I need.

logainofhades

Titan
The video is using pretty good quality/resolution for minecraft and if your kid is into retro games I doubt that it will be an issue to reduce it a bit to make it run better.
Also you can get an external GPU (eGPU) because...since fiction is real now.

External GPU's are not very good, unless you have a thunderbolt connection. It would be cheaper to just buy a Ryzen 3 2000 or 3000 series laptop, that would achieve their goals.