Question Need help. 1080ti and 17 8700k temps.

Jan 26, 2020
My computer gets hot and the fans run fast when under low load. Whenever i play games my computer will freeze for a little audio will restart and it will go back to normal. It does this pretty often making me not want to play games. the load on the card and processor (1080ti and 17 8700k) will both be under 50 percent and coputer will reach temps of 60+ on Games that are easy to run. It is cooled by a corsair h100i with 4 ll120 fans in the case in total. Been having this problem for a while and looked many times to see if other people have the same problem but cant find any answers. Please help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Case model?

60C is nothing for either cpu or gpu. If you're getting over 80C(cpu) and 85C(gpu) in games, then you have a problem.

How old is the H100i? Perhaps it's time to replace it? Those pumps don't last forever...

When's the last time you cleaned your case out?

Jan 26, 2020
Computer is fairly new all parts all parts are under 2 years old and the cooler is under a year old. But i will get 60C with very little usage playing games i can play fine on other slower computers. The case is a corsair 280x rgb not very good for airflow but people with similar builds temps are much lower.

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
Cheklist -> Do cpu cooler screws is tight? If not tight them. Do You have any other cpu cooler and thermo paste? If had mount and test temperatures, if with this everything is ok AIO is not working properly and ,if you have warranty, is time to use it. AIO may lose fluid and performance and it is not designed to be serviced except alphacool Eisbaer or Eisbaer LT

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
people with similar builds
This is broader than it may seem. Besides others having the same cpu, gpu, and case, other things to consider opposed to your own setup:
-room temps
-fan models being used
-fan positioning
-whether or not the top filter is being used
-cpu air cooler being used - if using liquid, then which side of the case
-clean or 'messy' cable management
-the glass panels may have been modded in some cases

Jan 26, 2020
This is broader than it may seem. Besides others having the same cpu, gpu, and case, other things to consider opposed to your own setup:
-room temps
-fan models being used
-fan positioning
-whether or not the top filter is being used
-cpu air cooler being used - if using liquid, then which side of the case
-clean or 'messy' cable management
-the glass panels may have been modded in some cases
I dont think it is being normal because i freeze randomly during games and have audio problems. Sometimes the computers fans will go to 100% then restart my computer. Idk if these problems are related but also have had to re download windows on to my computer many times because it wont boot to windows.

Jan 26, 2020
Cheklist -> Do cpu cooler screws is tight? If not tight them. Do You have any other cpu cooler and thermo paste? If had mount and test temperatures, if with this everything is ok AIO is not working properly and ,if you have warranty, is time to use it. AIO may lose fluid and performance and it is not designed to be serviced except alphacool Eisbaer or Eisbaer LT
So I checked my cpu cooler and it was tight. I dont have another cpu cooler to install but have had this cooler on a leass powerfull chip and it worked fine. I dont know if it is a software or hardware issue

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)
16gb ddr4 3200mhz corsair vengeance rgb pro
1x 16GB kit?
2x 8GB kit?
4x 4GB kit?
2x 4GB + 2x 4GB?
4GB + 4GB + 4GB + 4GB?

2)
evga 700w powersupply
Which 700w exactly?
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=700000000000

3)
i freeze randomly during games and have audio problems.
Run a Windows DISM and system scan: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

4)Did you update the motherboard drivers?

5)Any overclocks?

Jan 26, 2020
No overclocks and I will check exactly what power supply I think it is gold rated (maybe supernova g3 750 watt) and 2x16 kit of ram. I recently updated my graphics card driver j will see if there are any for my motherboard

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Ensure you have good exchange of ambient air. You can have the world's best CPU cooler inside a sealed box and in a short while, that CPU is going to overheat. Why? There's not good refresh of cool air inside the case and more importantly, for the cooler.

Great case airflow will make a decent cooler work well.

Poor case airflow will make a great cooler work mediocre.