[SOLVED] Need help 1st gaming pc build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2022
All I currently have is GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card since i got one recently and ive been pc partpicker putting this parts so I can later get them :

What im scared about is that the case might be to small for my card since its huge. I need a high end gaming pc,I dont know if these parts will achieve that mostly the motherboard and cooler so i really need help with that... would appreaciate any help. sorry and thank you!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
That Superflower Leadex III power supply is fine. I really doubt anybody is going to be looking into buying a 3080 ti after they've just bought a 3080. That Corsair RMx is fine too. Both are high quality units. Also, Superflower doesn't make any of the newer Supernova models for EVGA anymore, only the older models.

Sticking to your basic outline, I'd recommend doing something like this. This would be a VERY solid build. You would not NEED to buy any additional case fans, because the AIO cooler should be installed in the front of the case, and the case already comes with two 120mm fans which should be in the rear fan location and move the other included fan to the TOP-REAR location. At some point you might want to install different case...
That card is only 320mm and the case supports cards up to 400mm.

I'd probably look at a 280mm cooler but the LF II 240 isn't bad at all. I like a little more breathing room, but it will certainly handle that CPU with no problem and all reviews of it seem solid.

Feb 7, 2022
That card is only 320mm and the case supports cards up to 400mm.

I'd probably look at a 280mm cooler but the LF II 240 isn't bad at all. I like a little more breathing room, but it will certainly handle that CPU with no problem and all reviews of it seem solid.
Thank you!. Also for the cooler is this good (shorturl.at/hjoEXshorturl.at/hjoEX). And do you think getting a 850w power supply is worth it instead of a 750w. Lastly and again im sorry for all these questions but in pcpartpicker im getting that my cooler wouldnt fit my motherboard so i need a mounted adapter what does that mean? also i changed a decent amount of stuff

Is there any other motherboard you would reccommend. again im sorry and tnak you!

All I currently have is GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card since i got one recently and ive been pc partpicker putting this parts so I can later get them :

What im scared about is that the case might be to small for my card since its huge. I need a high end gaming pc,I dont know if these parts will achieve that mostly the motherboard and cooler so i really need help with that... would appreaciate any help. sorry and thank you!
Solid build ^^ You are going to want a 120mm 4-pin exhaust fan for that case or it's going to be a hotbox.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJBD69S
ARCTIC P12 PWM 120mm 4-Pin Case Fan $9.59

Last edited:
Thank you!. Also for the cooler is this good (shorturl.at/hjoEXshorturl.at/hjoEX). And do you think getting a 850w power supply is worth it instead of a 750w. Lastly and again im sorry for all these questions but in pcpartpicker im getting that my cooler wouldnt fit my motherboard so i need a mounted adapter what does that mean? also i changed a decent amount of stuff

Is there any other motherboard you would reccommend. again im sorry and tnak you!
850w psu would allow you some headroom and that's a good thing especially if gpu prices continue to drop. That would allow you to power a 3080 Ti. Look at Seasonic and Super Flower 850w psu's.

Reactions: TheCubeKiller
Feb 7, 2022
Seasonic makes the higher end Corsairs such as the HX and RMx series and Super Flower makes the higher end EVGA psu's such as the SuperNova's.
Oh ok and last question, what motherboard would you recommend for this build? ive benn hearing negative things about z960 gaming gigabyte and it has me worried. thank you btw :)

Reactions: Why_Me
Oh ok and last question, what motherboard would you recommend for this build? ive benn hearing negative things about z960 gaming gigabyte and it has me worried. thank you btw :)
If you update your bios right away then those Gigabyte boards are fine as wine. A lot of buyers don't update their bios right off the bat and that's when they run into problems hence some of the negative buyer reviews you see for those boards

That Superflower Leadex III power supply is fine. I really doubt anybody is going to be looking into buying a 3080 ti after they've just bought a 3080. That Corsair RMx is fine too. Both are high quality units. Also, Superflower doesn't make any of the newer Supernova models for EVGA anymore, only the older models.

Sticking to your basic outline, I'd recommend doing something like this. This would be a VERY solid build. You would not NEED to buy any additional case fans, because the AIO cooler should be installed in the front of the case, and the case already comes with two 120mm fans which should be in the rear fan location and move the other included fan to the TOP-REAR location. At some point you might want to install different case fans for higher performance, quieter operation or RGB lighting, but initially at least I'd wait and see if that's something you really want to do or not based on how satisfied you are with it as is.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($279.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($125.29 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1069.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-08 03:21 EST-0500

Solution

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016

You could probably DOUBLE your RAM to 32 gigs if you spend a bit more. Also, DDR5 was recently released. So you might want to wait for that. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1667333-REG/crucial_ct16g48c40u5_16gb_ddr5_4800mhz_cl40.html

Not sure where you are from, or what your currnecy is. It mgiht be too expensive. Though if they are both the same currency, then this has the same amount of RAM (1x16) gigs, and is DDR5. So is much faster. You could even go for and get either 32 gigs or 64 gigs. Though they will probably not be useful, since that much RAM is only, mostly, used for video editing or game development, and other similar applications.

Also, a bit concerned about the CPU you choose. Even though it states 10 cores. 6 of those are "power" cores, and 4 of those are "efficient" cores. The more power efficient a core is, also indicates, as a general trend, as also being less powerful. So you might be better served with either a different intel CPU or an AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU.

Actually, it's NOT "much faster", and even when it is it makes literally ZERO sense to buy DDR5 at this time.

It's absurdly expensive, because it's barely even available in practically every market out there.

The performance gains are so minimal as to be almost non-existent, and in some cases given the high latency of a new memory architecture, actually slower than some highly refined DDR4. Until DDR5 becomes more widely available at reasonable prices, and has been around long enough for the latency that is always high at the beginning of a new memory architecture cycle to be optimized to much lower numbers, there is no compelling reason to buy into right now. Later, certainly. Getting a platform that requires it just to already be into the next architecture, eh, you'd need a really good reason or really deep pockets to the point where they money literally doesn't matter to you, for it to make sense.

As far as getting 32GB of memory, that also literally has no definable advantage for 99% of gamers right now. There are zero games that I know of which will even use anything close to 16GB, much less 32GB, so unless you have other reasons like scientific, artistic or productivity apps, or VMs, that can make use of that additional memory, it's simply a waste of money. If you know you will be running VMs or applications that can use it, then absolutely it's wise to get it now all at once, otherwise it's just trying to pad your stats and measure epeens.

As for the CPUs, that's off the mark as well. Sure, that i5 has only six performance cores, but that is more than just about any game will use and for those that WILL use more, it also has an additional six hyperthreads PLUS those four efficiency cores. Unless you buy into an EVEN LOWER CPU model from Intel, this is the type of design you are going to see, on all their high end CPUs now. Going to Ryzen doesn't much change that, because that architecture also has a "preferred core" architecture so even though it's a bit different, it's also a bit the same. And regardless, much as when some major architectural changes have happened in the past, you can't simply look at cores or clock speed and assume you know how that affects actual real world performance because you'll be misled. This CPU is perfectly fine for any gaming system and while it's "only" an i5, it clearly outperforms the i7-11700k from the last gen in both single and multi-threaded operations, so to act like this is some weak CPU choice is absurd.

In fact, this i5 outperforms last gens i9-11900k in both single and multithreaded performance, so in reality it is a good as the BEST consumer CPU Intel had to offer prior to Alder lake. Period.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-12600K-vs-Intel-i9-11900K/4603vs3904

Certainly, in ALL generations, buying a higher end CPU is usually going to benefit performance. That's why they are higher end. But they also cost more and depending on the specifics of the intended use, "better" doesn't always translate to seeing any difference in the processes or use case for the user in question. If what you are doing can't take advantage of the additional cores, threads, instruction compatibility or clock speed, because it is not optimized to do so OR because it's bottleneck is elsewhere, then it will be a waste of that person's money until such time (If ever) that area of concern is addressed by the application, OS or game developer.

There are ALWAYS things you can improve, on any kind of build. But spending more doesn't always, in fact, often, mean you are going to see an appreciable return for that additional investment.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
Actually, it's NOT "much faster", and even when it is it makes literally ZERO sense to buy DDR5 at this time.

It's absurdly expensive, because it's barely even available in practically every market out there.

The performance gains are so minimal as to be almost non-existent, and in some cases given the high latency of a new memory architecture, actually slower than some highly refined DDR4. Until DDR5 becomes more widely available at reasonable prices, and has been around long enough for the latency that is always high at the beginning of a new memory architecture cycle to be optimized to much lower numbers, there is no compelling reason to buy into right now. Later, certainly. Getting a platform that requires it just to already be into the next architecture, eh, you'd need a really good reason or really deep pockets to the point where they money literally doesn't matter to you, for it to make sense.

As far as getting 32GB of memory, that also literally has no definable advantage for 99% of gamers right now. There are zero games that I know of which will even use anything close to 16GB, much less 32GB, so unless you have other reasons like scientific, artistic or productivity apps, or VMs, that can make use of that additional memory, it's simply a waste of money. If you know you will be running VMs or applications that can use it, then absolutely it's wise to get it now all at once, otherwise it's just trying to pad your stats and measure epeens.

As for the CPUs, that's off the mark as well. Sure, that i5 has only six performance cores, but that is more than just about any game will use and for those that WILL use more, it also has an additional six hyperthreads PLUS those four efficiency cores. Unless you buy into an EVEN LOWER CPU model from Intel, this is the type of design you are going to see, on all their high end CPUs now. Going to Ryzen doesn't much change that, because that architecture also has a "preferred core" architecture so even though it's a bit different, it's also a bit the same. And regardless, much as when some major architectural changes have happened in the past, you can't simply look at cores or clock speed and assume you know how that affects actual real world performance because you'll be misled. This CPU is perfectly fine for any gaming system and while it's "only" an i5, it clearly outperforms the i7-11700k from the last gen in both single and multi-threaded operations, so to act like this is some weak CPU choice is absurd.

In fact, this i5 outperforms last gens i9-11900k in both single and multithreaded performance, so in reality it is a good as the BEST consumer CPU Intel had to offer prior to Alder lake. Period.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-12600K-vs-Intel-i9-11900K/4603vs3904

Certainly, in ALL generations, buying a higher end CPU is usually going to benefit performance. That's why they are higher end. But they also cost more and depending on the specifics of the intended use, "better" doesn't always translate to seeing any difference in the processes or use case for the user in question. If what you are doing can't take advantage of the additional cores, threads, instruction compatibility or clock speed, because it is not optimized to do so OR because it's bottleneck is elsewhere, then it will be a waste of that person's money until such time (If ever) that area of concern is addressed by the application, OS or game developer.

There are ALWAYS things you can improve, on any kind of build. But spending more doesn't always, in fact, often, mean you are going to see an appreciable return for that additional investment.

""so to act like this is some weak CPU choice is absurd. "" Who exactly are you proclaiming stated and/or implied such a thing? Also, why bother comparing this gen i5 to last gen i7? It would be MORE applicable to compare THIS GEN i7 to this gen i5. Since the person is buying a RTX 3080 WHICH IS ALREADY REALLY EXPENSIVE. I do not see why they would not go for either MORE RAM of DDR4 or go same RAM for DDR5. They would literally already be spending approximately 2K just for the graphics card (depending on currency of partiular country). So they might as well also go for better RAM, or more RAM. Also, it would be better to get the I7 12700K togo with the RTX 2080. Since you might as well get an even better CPU to go with such an expensive graphics card. Though it has been a few months since i alst looked at CPU's and GPU's, so Ryzen CPU's may be a bit out of date. Though it is still possible they are cost competitive. Yet, since they bought a RTX 3080 at this point in time, it is doubtful that cost is the main issue.

Also, as for RAM, and the 32 gigs not necessary issue. The person might want to stream later, or even post videos online, which is becoming increasing more common. Therefore, more RAM would be better than less RAM. Especially for future proofing.

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
K, whatever you say. When it's your money, you can build it how you want.

There is no such thing as futureproofing. End of story.

Yes.There IS such a thing as FutureProofing. I built my own computer for approximately 3K. IF ANYONE is going to spend 2K JSUT on the GPU. Then they are probably NOT going to want a CPU that is less powerful, WHEN THEY CAN GET, a MORE POWERFUL CPU. The I7 12700K IS MORE POWERFUL.

Also, your arugment that "it is not your money, and thereby implying that one's asnwer is thereby irrelevant", is, in fact, an ILLOGICAL response.

Here is my attempt at carcasm to your response..... "When it is YOUR money. They you can build it however YOU want. Until then, do NOT suggest what someone else SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT build".... :D :D

Do you see the irony? :D :D

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
Wow man. Just wow.
I am being quite polite and well mannered with my responses. I even used basically the exact thing you stated previously, while also explicity stating the implications to your previous statements in the form of an attempt at humour; yet you seem to continuously respond with rhetorical, if not outright nonesensical, statements, that neither give evidence to your previous statements, nor do they convey any relevant information.

I even declared, quite clear, in my previous statements, that some of what you stated, could quite possibly be right, since, as i stated previously, i have not did much research into the newest CPU's over the last few months. Yet, instead of being cordial, you continue to make statements that, rather than being an actual phetorical statement, of which is possibly to be used to attempt to undermine one's argument, simply shows your own debasement; Quite possibly for your own gratification for some unknown reason.

Now if your response is in an attempt to retain some semblence of psychological coherence, without having to face one's own psychologcical stance, on a particular subject, then so be it. Though, it would still be preferrable, for yourself, to at least form a congruent argument, especially when replying to someone else. :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.