[SOLVED] Need help about upgrading my PC and some issues.

Ludogorets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Hello.
I have few issues with my PC, for the past few months it became really slow, like I can hear the HDD scratching almost non-stop. Even games are stuttering, not lagging. I actually believe my HDD is the issue here, since I have been using it for nearly 10 years now. It's 1TB Hitachi HUA722010CLA331. I am looking for the best solution here.
I also have another issue, few months ago my PC suddenly shut down and power on by itself, and immediately shut down and got stuck in a loop of constantly trying to restart. Each second it just start and shut down by itself. I send it to a service, where it took them more then a week to identify the issue. It turns out it was from the RAM, I don't know what exactly. It wasn't the power supply. They said they fixed the issue, and few days ago it started doing exactly the same. I have 2 RAM disks, each 4GB. Removed one of them and never had that issue. Recently I tried putting the second disk again, and randomly my PC showed a screen that an error occured and the PC shut down itself. Now I am not sure if its really the RAM or actually the socket in the motherboard thats the problem, and would need someone who understands this to share his/her opinion.
Anyway back to my main question, my HDD is very old, and its time for a change. I am just wondering, what is the best decision I can make? I heard most people prefer and suggest buying an SSD. But should I also buy a new HDD to have both of them.
Can you guys tell me what is the best decision here, and perhaps recommend me what kind of a SDD/HDD to get and a new RAM disk 8GB

My specs:
CPU- i7 7700 3.6GHz
Motherboard H110M-S2H-CF Gygabite Technology
RAM DDR4
GTX 1050ti 4GB
PSU - SEASONIC SS-520GB/520W/APF (S12II-520Bronze)

Last edited:
Solution
On ram, test it by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

There are two types of ssd devices; m.2 which is the size of a stick of gum and 2.5".
You motherboard can only support 2.5" ssd devices.
They connect exactly the same as a sata HDD. Namely with a sata power connector and a sata data cable.
Any ssd is much faster than a HDD. some 2-4x in sequential operations and perhaps 40x in random I/O
You WILL notice a quickness in everything you do using a ssd.
A ssd is more reliable because it has no moving parts.
It makes no noise at all.
The only negative to...

USAFRet

Titan
And with the new SSD, I'd prepare for a full fresh install of the OS and everything else.

Yes, it is possible to migrate everything from the current drive to the new SSD. But seeing as you have already issues with the current drive, and software anomalies that may exist on it would just be transferred to the new drive.

Plus, a fresh install does not bring along the last few years of junk that have accrued on the current drive.
Start fresh.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
What do you mean RAM disks? DIMMs? If so, sounds like you need new memory. You'll also probably want to pick up an SSD and perhaps a new hard drive, sounds like yours is expired at this point, especially if it's audibly scratching.

Ludogorets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2013
Absolutely.
It works just like a spinning HDD, just way faster.
My system (specs below) is SSD only. Indeed, ALL my systems in the house are SSD only. With the exception of an ancient low end laptop.

What about installing it? How does it work, is my motherboard compatible? Does I need anything additional?

On ram, test it by running memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

There are two types of ssd devices; m.2 which is the size of a stick of gum and 2.5".
You motherboard can only support 2.5" ssd devices.
They connect exactly the same as a sata HDD. Namely with a sata power connector and a sata data cable.
Any ssd is much faster than a HDD. some 2-4x in sequential operations and perhaps 40x in random I/O
You WILL notice a quickness in everything you do using a ssd.
A ssd is more reliable because it has no moving parts.
It makes no noise at all.
The only negative to a ssd is the cost per gb.
A 1tb HDD might be $40.
1 1tb samsung 860 evo would be $120
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147673
There are cheaper ssd devices, but none as fast or good.

You may need a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter plate to mount a ssd in your case($5-10)
If your system is still working but slow, you can move your windows C drive to the samsung ssd using their ssd migration app.
You can download the instructions and app here:

If your windows is corrupted, there is no sense in moving it and you should simply reinstall windows on the ssd.

Solution