[SOLVED] Need help/advice upgrading my PC with SSDs.

May 7, 2020
I think it's about time I upgrade my PC with some SSDs but I'm not too sure what I am looking for and how to have them set up in my system.

Can I completely replace my HDDs with SSDs or is it not recommended? Can the entire PC run on SSDs without any other storage?

And which SSDs should I look at buying? My PC is for everyday use and gaming etc. I was looking to get at least 4TB or more.

What can be recommended?

Current PC Specifications:
MOBO: Asus Maximus x Hero
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: 1070Ti
RAM: 3200Mz DDR4 16GB
PSU: EVGA 850 G2
HDDs: WD Red Pro 3tb / WD Blue 1TB

Last edited:
Solution
NVMe for the OS and applications - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
SATA III for other things. Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500. Whatever sizes meet your budget and space needs.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, you can run a system from SSD only. I do.

4TB will be rather expensive, even if just SATA III drives.
Instead, look at a combination. SSD for OS and applications, large HDD for other stuff.

Consider a 500GB or 1TB for the OS, applications, and a few games. Everything else on your current HDDs.

Reactions: Claken
May 7, 2020
Yes you can use entirely solid state drives, and i would reccomend doing that.

For games and everyday use, i would suggest a 1tb nvme which should cost around $120. Crucial p1 is a good one.
Okay thank you for the reply, I will have a look.
I will buy more than one SSD so I can have some decent storage space. Either a few 1TB drives or a couple of 2TB; whatever I can find really. Overall you would recommend nvme though?

May 7, 2020
Yes, you can run a system from SSD only. I do.

4TB will be rather expensive, even if just SATA III drives.
Instead, look at a combination. SSD for OS and applications, large HDD for other stuff.

Consider a 500GB or 1TB for the OS, applications, and a few games. Everything else on your current HDDs.
Right okay, thankyou for your reply.
Could you recommend any 1TB or 2TB SSDs? And is nvme the 'best' type of SSD to look for?
I'd be fine paying £300 - £400 for some decent storage.

May 7, 2020
NVMe for the OS and applications - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
SATA III for other things. Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500. Whatever sizes meet your budget and space needs.
Thankyou for the recommendation. Ive bought and installed my ssd (although I did have trouble with a badly shredded screw on the m.2 socket.. asus board) holy dammthis thing is fast. My PC now takes a few seconds to start wow...

Ended up getting a 2TB Samsung 970 Plus. Thanks again.